Cole Slaw Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cole Slaw Recipe

Last post Mar 18, 2005 12:03 AM by ck1mom_Or . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Cole Slaw Recipe
    I'm back from a 4 month vacation from the snow and I have a request for a cole slaw recipe. We ate at a small restarant in Paducah, KY that had cole slaw that reminded me of the way my grandmother made it when I was a youngster. It's a sweet and sour cole slaw and there is no mayo used. I know this is the way it is usually made in the south. Could someone please share this recipe with me.

I checked in the search and none of the recipes sound like the one I'm searching for. I'm sure you southern cooks no what I'm talking about.
    False
  • RE: Cole Slaw Recipe
    I loved my visit to Paducha last October and seeing the Quilt Museum.

Here's a non-creamy coleslaw recipe that might be what you are looking for. I like to add some sunflower seeds and make it a Kansas/Carolina Coleslaw. You can also use pre-packaged slaw mixture.

CAROLINA COLESLAW

1 lg. cabbage (3 pounds) trimmed, quartered and cored
    1 medium size green pepper, minced
    1 medium size onion (Bermuda or Spanish) chopped fine

Dressing:
    1 c. sugar
    1 t. salt
    1 t. dry mustard
    1 t. celery seed
    1 c. cider vinegar
    2/3 c. vegetable oil

1. With a sharp knife, slice each cabbage quarter very fine; combine with green pepper and onion in a large bowl and toss to mix.

2. Mix sugar, salt, mustard and celery seeds in a small saucepan, add vinegar and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage and toss well to mix. Cool quickly by placing the bowl into a sink filled with cold water - stir often to get the warm inside to the cooler outside of the bowl. When cooled down, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

[Note: I usually only make half a recipe of the dressing because I like the cabbage lightly dressed and the whole recipe seems like just too much for my personal taste.]

False
    Hi Grandmamac, Do you know the name of the restaurant? Maybe they would share the recipe with you if you contacted them.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Rivers Edge COLE SLAW DRESSING

1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt -- more if needed
    celery seed

Mix all ingredients together until sugar is dissolved.

False
    Funeral Slaw

1 small to medium head of cabbage, sliced very thin
    1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
    1 jar salad olives or one jar of stuffed green olives, thinly sliced
    1 red and/or green bell pepper, thinly sliced

1/3 c cider vinegar
    1/3 c canola oil
    1/3 c sugar
    1 t celery salt

Place all vegetables in a large bowl with a lid that seals

Combine vinegar, oil, sugar and celery salt in small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Pour hot mixture over the vegetables and stir well to coat evenly. Place lid on bowl and put in refrigerator overnight stirring occasionally or turning bowl upside down to re-moisten the ingredients.

Makes a lot!! And it improves with age. Keeps very well…at least 10-14 days.

vammie
    False
    Thanks for all the recipes. I will try but it didn't taste like it had oil in it.

Homesweethome: Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of the restaurant. It wasn't a fancy restaurant (more like a diner) and we just popped in for lunch.
    False
    I should proof read before I send. I meant to say I will try these recipes. Thanks everyone.

I would appreciate receiving more recipes for sweet and sour cole slaw if anyone else has any they would like to share.
    False
    False