need ideas for meals for shut-ins that travel well | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need ideas for meals for shut-ins that travel well

Last post Mar 20, 2005 12:36 PM by TriainAtlanta . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • need ideas for meals for shut-ins that travel well
    I am taking meals to shut-ins and it will take me over 1 hr. to get there. Any ideas for things that would stay warm and travel well?
    Thanks for your help.
    False
  • RE: need ideas for meals for shut-ins that travel well
    Even though you want it to stay warm. Something that I make to take to shut ins that can be simply heated up either on the stove or microwave. That is always enjoyed. Is a big jar of homemade vegetable soup with a loaf of homemade bread and a few cookies. Simply delicous for they can either freeze what they don't use of the soup. Or heat if for a meal. This pleases everyone I have given too.
    False
    bump
    False
    How many people are you feeding? I like to take a pot roast, potatoes, carrots and gravy all baked together in a caserole dish, although it wouldn't stay hot for an hour.

Another thing that stays hot for quite awhile is scalloped potatoes with ham.

I wrap it up with foil and cover it with big beach towels.
    False
    I would hesitate to try to keep food warm for that length of time. I think it would be far safer, food wise, to take chilled food in an ice chest and then reheat it when you got there! I would check with whatever agency in your state handles issuing of food handlers card about the safest thing to do! If you brought the food chilled portions could be safely reheated for additional meals!

Do these shut-ins you are taking food to have special dietary needs or food preferences?
    False
    Wrap it in foil, newspapers and then put it in a cooler.
    They are going to be so happy to get home cooked dishes - it doesn't have to be piping hot! If they have a microwave - they can reheat the individual plates or dishes. Foil dishes will also reheat slowly in the conventional oven.
    You are very thoughtful.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    If there is a group of people where simple food safety is essential, it's the elderly. Food kept in the danger zone of 40°F-140° can quickly multiply bacteria and the end result can be food poisoning. I'd suggest you talk this over with your local health department or food/restaurant inspector for the best and safest way to transport meals. If you aren't preparing food from an inspected/licensed kitchen, then I'd REALLY be concerned and make sure your insurance covers you should you transport not only food, but unsafe food.

Although you may think you are doing something beneficial for someone and your intentions are to be admired for your generosity, you need to make sure of the food safety issue first and foremost.

At our local Senior Center, they have Meals-On-Wheels available. The food is prepared in an inspected and certified kitchen and the meals are well-balanced and delivered 5-days a week. They also have these same meals frozen and the price for them is very low. I used to get them for my parents to have on hand and perhaps this would be a solution for you.
    False
    Good Evening GG, I have done this on many occasions for church but we were instructed to have a meal that was refridgerated and then taken to the family...or if there were other people going to visit to drop it at the church. The ice chest idea is excellent the other idea I had is one of those Sams Club cold bags that they sell very reasonably. I keep one in my car at all times for food from the grocery to home. It might well keep soemthing hot for an hour but I would be careful.
    You could put baggies with ice in there and keep the food chilled til ready to be reheated. I do know of one lady who made things in her roaster and with the help of a car plug could keep foods hot to serve. She did turkey and the trimmings in a metal pan inside the roaster and brought it that way. You could do freezer pouches of spaggetti sauce and refrigerated noodles..garlic bread and a nice tossed salad....or a small lasagne. I think that meatloaf is nice as well. Cinnamon rolls are so lovely as an add in or perhaps banana bread. The nice thing about delivering things in small frozen portions is it can be heated when needed. I hope this helps even a little. God bless you in your cooking. Mary
    False
    You are right - Graingirl and Marymitten - about the safety issue - and one of the worst problems you have with the elderly is that they keep food too long in their refrigerator as they don't want to "waste" anything. We used to have to really watch my aunt's refrigerator and she would get really mad with all of us as we would always go through her pantry and refrigerator and "toss" things. We usually "took turns" being the "bad guy"!

When you deliver food - you might check on this - if you feel like you can "intrude" in this manner.
    The individual "plates" - frozen - or hot are really the best things as leftovers are not a good idea unless refrigerated and used promptly.
    Tria
    False
    Tria