Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??

Last post Feb 03, 2013 10:42 AM by trystery . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??
    In my state when you go out for Chinese Mar Far Chicken in on the menu kind of like chicken nuggets. My brother was telling me in California he has never seen that item on any chinese menu. So I was wondering if that was just something native to my state or town or maybe my brother is mistaken. I would love to be able to make this at home. Do any of you have that choice when you go out for Chinese??
    False
  • RE: Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??
    Never heard of it here in SE PA...
    False
    I love Chinese and usually go out for it at least every other week. My favorite is Empress Shrimp! Mmm! Yum!
    But I never heard of Mar Far Chicken. I'm on the west coast of Michigan on Lake Michigan. If you find it, please share the recipe...love to make Chinese at home too! My favorite is Hot and Sour Soup! Could eat that daily!
    False
    I'm in Maryland and eat Oriental food; however, I have never heard of Mar Far chicken nor seen it on any menu.

doris
    False
    I love Szechwan chicken it is soooo good szechwan chicken chow mein is awesome also. We live in oregon and I'm thinking the menus must be very different from state to state. I have never seen empress shrimp here but is sounds wonderful!!
    thanks a lot for your imput

storm
    False
    never heard of mar far chicken and my son-in-law is asian! (~.~) retta jo
    False
    While we are on the subject. My
    daughter lives in a small town outside of Seattle. Fall City. When I go visit (I live in North Texas). She brings to me Crispy Fried Shrimp with spicy sauce. The sauce is red and sweet/hot. I think it is Thai. The recipe from gagal with the sesame chicken reminds me of this. Does anyone have a similar recipe? I thank anyone with any input and maybe a recipe. Tootie aka Lisa
    False
    sounds just like how my Szechwan chicken is prepared it is also a sweet n spicy red sauce If you could find a recipe for that I think you could make copy cat. so far I'm not having much luck finding a szechwan sauce that would come out sweet and spicy.
    False
    Mar Far Chicken

1 lb. uncooked chicken breast
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 egg
    2 to 3 tsp. soy sauce
    oil for frying
    1/2 to 3/4 cup milk

Cut chicken in pieces 1 1/2 to 2-inches long about
    1-inch wide. To prepared batter, sift flour, measure and sift
    with salt and baking powder into beaten egg and milk and soy
    sauce. Mix thoroughly. Dip chicken in flour first, then dip
    into batter. Add more milk to batter if it seems too thick on
    chicken. Fry 365 degrees on thermometer in deep fry, drain on
    absorbent paper.

False
    oh thank you thank you thank you what a wonderful recipe I'm so happy you found one. I will definitly share this with my brother and his wife they really miss mar far chicken now that they live in california. thank you again what a life saver!!

storm
    False
    I have never heard of it. Thank you so much for th recipe, Janra. It is definately something, I will try very soon. Sounds like it is something my family will enjoy.
    False
    You must also live in oregon.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    False
    bump
    False
  • Re: RE: Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??

i can't believe someone hasn't heard of Mar Far chicken, but i have lived on the West coast my whole life.

you have got to try "pink sauce" with Mar Far-

1 cup mayo

1/2 cup ketchup

one table spoons vinegar

one table spoon sugar

you can adjust to taste, but that is what everyone asks for in the chinese here.

False
  • Re: RE: Mar Far Chicken has anyone ever made it??
    Normal 0

The owners of Medford's iconic Kim's Restaurant shut down more than three years ago after 55 years in business. We have never had good Mar far chicken like that. The nugget style that some of the restaurants make are to dry and over cooked. My Mother worked for Kim's Chinese Restaurant in Medford Oregon so she pasted on some of the original recipes that Kim's used.

MAR FAR CHICKEN

2 lb. uncooked chicken breast or boneless chicken

1-cup flour
    5 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1 egg
    1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. Pepper

Oil for frying

1 1/4 cup ice water (you must make sure the water is very cold)

1. Cut chicken in pieces 1 1/2 strips. Do not cut into nuggets this will dry chicken out wile you fry it.

2. To prepared batter - mix flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Add beaten egg and ice water mix thoroughly till you have a thin batter. Add more water if batter is thick on chicken.

3. Dip chicken in batter, then fry. Add more water to batter if it seems too thick on chicken.

4. Fry in oil at 365 degrees F on thermometer in deep fry. Drain on absorbent paper.

5. Chop into 3 inch pieces and enjoy..

Normal 0 Normal 0 Normal 0
    False