Fugasa (Italian Easter Bread) just about ready for the oven | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fugasa (Italian Easter Bread) just about ready for the oven

Last post Mar 26, 2005 3:00 PM by queenietwo . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Fugasa (Italian Easter Bread) just about ready for the oven
    I just made the dough into loaves and letting them rise for the last time before baking. This recipe gives me two small (about 2 x 5"), one 9 x 5" and one large loaf. Smells great and I am looking forward to eating my first slice. Here's the recipe.

FUGASA

3 pkg. yeast (regular requires two risings before shaping into loaves - Instant requires only one) (one type of yeast is mixed in with the flour and not with water so read yeast packet)
    1 cup hot water
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 cup milk
    8 beaten eggs
    liquor to taste (about 1/2 cup)
    1 tsp. lemon rind
    3 oranges (rind only)
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. salt
    6 to 8 cups approx. flour
    1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Let yeast dissolve in hot water and sugar for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Meanwhile put all the other ingredients in a large bowl along with about 5 cups of the flour. Add the yeast. Add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough not sticky to manage. Form into a ball. Butter a bowl and place the ball of dough in it and rotate it so that the dough is coated with the butter on all sides. Cover with a towel (or plastic wrap) and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. If using Instant yeast at this point punch down and shape into loaves. If using regular yeast then punch the dough down and let rise once again until doubled and then shape into loaves. Place dough in loaf pans and let rise until doubled in size. Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour. Baste with a mixture of sugar and milk every 15 minutes until loaves are done.

I have posted this recipe before but reposted for those who might be interested given the season. Marlene
    False
  • RE: Fugasa (Italian Easter Bread) just about ready for the oven
    Marlene, this sounds great, let us know how it was~
    False

We make this every Easter. It tastes great. I don't expect this batch to be any different. They are out of the oven and cooling and I'm sure when we get back tonight after 9 from ten pin bowling my husband will break down and slice a loaf. The house smells of the bread and it is so tempting. Marlene
    False
    Some day I'll be brave enough to try bread without the machine -- this looks like a great one!

~~susie.
    False

I rarely use the dough cycle on my machine when making bread or buns. This however, is too much dough for my machine anyway. The only difference making this by hand is the kneading. If you have a KA then you can even not do that but I don't have one. I knead the dough for between 8 and 10 minutes. That is simple enough. Marlene
    False
    Mmm sounds good one question Liquor what kind?
    False
    We use whatever is in the house. This time it was rye whiskey. We've used rum both dark and lite, vodka, coconut rum. It doesn't matter. Marlene
    False
    Yummm...I don't have a KA either! I'll put kneading on my "need to learn" list!

~~susie.
    False

Thanks that makes my mouth water. Sounds like I have some experimenting to do.
    False
    Yes, it is as good as every other year. I had a slice this morning with some butter and one toasted and buttered. Very good once again. Marlene
    False
    help! my dough was very sticky we had to add a lot of extra flour. I was not sure what "not sticky to manage" means I ended up with not sticky unless it sat. Do I grease pans before adding dough? and how many loafs does this thing make? I have a lot of dough rising. Thanks it smells just yummie.
    False
    Like any dough it should not stick to your fingers when kneading it. The recipe says 6 to 8 cups approximately and that is what we used yesterday. I did add maybe 1/2 cup while kneading it. Yes, you grease the bowl it is to rise in and turn the dough so it is also greased all over. The pans should be greased also. You will be very happy with your finished product I am sure. We got one regular bread loaf in size, one that was a 9 x 5" and two that were 5 x 3 (I'm not sure of the small ones). You would get two bread size loaves at least depending how long you let it rise. Hope that helps. Marlene
    False
    Thanks Marlene I am just about to pan the bread. Still looks great
    Jana
    False
    It will taste great either hot out of the oven or toasted or buttered or not buttered. Marlene
    False