??Has any ever tried a ham cooked on a rotisserie? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??Has any ever tried a ham cooked on a rotisserie?

Last post Aug 21, 2010 7:16 PM by Jack Clark . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • ??Has any ever tried a ham cooked on a rotisserie?
    I am trying to think of ways to cook a ham (we are having ~20 for dinner) and leave the oven free. My crockpot isn't big enough - but I might be able to use one or two friends. But I was wondering about using the rotisserie.
    False
    Photobucket
  • RE: ??Has any ever tried a ham cooked on a rotisserie?
    I just did a Google search on - Rotisserie Ham - and came up with a lot of recipes.
    False
    I have cooked them a lot in the past but not sure how many people they fed. Here is a recipe for one on the rotisserie which might work for you.

ROTISSERIE HAM

1 10-12 lb. ham
    Rinse ham thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Place the ham on the spit rods. Let cook until ham reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Let ham rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
    Serve with Pineapple Glaze

PINEAPPLE GLAZE

1 bottle Kraft's Sweet and Sour Sauce
    1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 of a large can of crushed pineapple (Reserve one-half can for candied yams)
    1-2 T. Heinz 57 Sauce

In a microwave-safe dish, place the sweet and sour sauce. Add the pineapple, Heinz 57 Sauce, and brown sugar to the sweet and sour sauce. Mix well. Microwave on 50 power for 5-7 minutes. Serve on top of Rotisserie Ham.

kspegg
    False

pegg

the tricky part is getting it on the rod.
    False

I usually did boneless hams when I was doing them and they always turned out great - haven't done a bone-in ham.

ks pegg
    False

pegg

I would noramlly do a bone-in ham so I could make soup later - but think I will stick with the boneless on the rotisserie! THANKS! I'm going to try it!
    False
    Photobucket
    I have done a bone in ham on the rotisserie and it turned out great. I cooked it for2.5 hours. I dont remember how big it was but it was a larger size.
    False
    When I searched google I found this recipe so think I might try it and just use a bigger ham.

Honey-Glazed Ham

(Harvard Common Press; October 2002; ISBN: 1558322337; PB)
    Cookbook Heaven @ Recipelink.com

Every year the purveyors of spiral sliced ham run advertisements that make your mouth water. Including beauty shots of a glistening ham with a crackly coating. Your rotisserie can help you to achieve the same crispy coating, and for a lot less than that ham from the store. Basting with a combination of honey and raw sugar during the last 30 minutes of cooking time will give you that delicious, crunchy glaze.
    Servings 8
    • One 5-pound fully cooked boneless or bone in ham
    • Spiced Honey Glaze:
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/2 cup raw sugar crystals
    1. Load the ham onto the spit rod assembly and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham registers 160 degrees, about 13 minutes per pound.
    2. While the ham is cooking, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
    3. About 30 minutes before the ham is done, stop the machine and brush the ham with the honey glaze. Then sprinkle the sugar crystals evenly over the glaze. Restart the machine and continue roasting.
    4. Remove the ham from the spit rod, being careful not to knock off any of the crust. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
    False
    Photobucket
    Rochester, that was very kind of you to find the rotesserie recipe from google. I for one, really appreciate it. To get this great glaze sounds wonderful. Thanks!
    Tam
    False
    DH and I have done hams on our grill rotisserie many times. You do have to make sure the ham is on the rod correctly so it turns evenly. We cook ours until it reaches 160º. Really tasty! Have a Happy and Blessed Easter.
    False
    Okay - Here is the results! The ham tuned out WONDERFUL. Moist and tasty. Everyone enjoyed it as well as all the yummy things that everyone brought to share. So if you have a Showtime or other kind of rotisserie - go for it!
    False
    Photobucket
  • Re: ??Has any ever tried a ham cooked on a rotisserie?
    When I was a kid, my father cooked rotisserie ham on the barbeque using a method I just cannot find a recipe for: He'd buy a ham with the bone in. But he'd have the butcher remove the bone and pour a can of pineapple and a bottle of barbeque sauce and/or a jar of honey into the cavity, then sew it up tight. Then my dad put it on the spit as balanced as possible and studded it all over with cloves. The thing rotated over the coals for hours and eventually the pineapple and other fillings permeated the ham. If I can't find an actual recipe for this, I'll just wing it myself.
    False