Rec: Rev: Poor Man's Lobster_Mahi Mani | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec: Rev: Poor Man's Lobster_Mahi Mani

Last post Mar 25, 2005 5:35 PM by lucievpMA . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Rec: Rev: Poor Man's Lobster_Mahi Mani
    I tried lucievp's Poor Man's Lobster this evening. If you have a couple Mahi steaks doing nothing, you couldn't ask for a simpler recipe. Watch the steaming time, though. The mahi gets REAL HAPPY near the hot beer, so it is easy to overcook them. I'd like to revamp the recipe to a lighter version of the butter sauce. Perhaps only a tablespoon of butter with a bit of chicken broth or white wine to roast the garlic in.
    I can't say it makes the Mahi Mahi taste like lobster, but hey...you're the one who bought the Mahi, you want it to taste like Mahi, right???
    Anyway, thank you lucievp for sharing your recipe.

RE: Mahi Mahi Recipes
    Posted by: lucievp Posted on: 3/25/2005 12:28:27 PM
    #R5446438
    Funny you should post this today. We are trying Mahi Mahi tonight for the first time. Here is the recipe we are trying:

Poor Man's Lobster (Mahi Mahi)

1lb Mahi Mahi fillets
    12 oz beer
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    Garlic Butter dipping sauce (recipe below)
    Cut fillets into 2" chunks and drizzle with lemon juice.
    Pour the beer into the bottom of a saucepan (if using fresh lemon juice, toss lemon rind in as well).
    Plase collapsabile vegetable steamer in pan over beer.
    Bring beer to boil and then place fish chunks in steamer, cover and let steam for 5-10 minutes, depending upon thickness of fish. Do not overcook or fish will become rubbery.

Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
    6 Tbsp unsalted butter
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    1/2 tsp salt

Heat butter, garlic and salt slowly until garlic is no longer raw.

Remove fish from steamer, discard lemon rind and liquid.
    Serve fish chunks with dipping sauce.

False
  • RE: Rec: Rev: Poor Man's Lobster_Mahi Mani
    I understood Monk fish was the poor man's lobster but will try this recipe and see. thanks for posting this. Maureen
    False
    Sounds good!~Thanks for the review Don!
    False
    LOL! AA8OF - I didn't see your review before I posted mine. You're right though not the flavor of lobster if that's what you're going for. The butter definitely could be lighter I will take your suggestion next time I make this. I would make it again though. Thanks for the review.
    False