What companies make the generic brands? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What companies make the generic brands?

Last post Sep 27, 2008 5:13 PM by motherofdogs . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • What companies make the generic brands?
    I've always wondered this? Does every big name company make a generic? What about the Wal-mart Great Value stuff?
    False
  • RE: What companies make the generic brands?
    I don't know which companies make which generic brands. My dh was a manager for a bagel bakery long ago. They sold the good bagels under their company name and the rejects were packaged and sold under a local store's name. They came from the same batches usually, just weren't as round or something.
    False
    I always thought that each company made their own. For example Superfresh, an A&P chain has America's Choice. I assume A&P produces that or pays other companies to produce items under that name. I assume the same with Walmart/Sam's. I do think that some name brand companies put out generic versions like VFaith described. None of this is based on what I know, though, just what I thought.....

Amy
    False

I was always told - each food vender, walmart, Kroger, safeway, etc. has a contract with the major food manufacturers to make the product under the store name. I have been told that there is a big difference in the quality of some of the products - but I have used certain store brands and not been able to tell the difference. There are certain products I will not substitute but others - no problem. I have also been told that the appliances put out in certain stores and carry the large manufacturer names are sometimes a different/cheaper model with different parts.

If you try it and like it - save the few cents - but if not - pay the difference as food is too expensive to toss. JMO
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Most everything I've tried of Wal-Marts great value product I like as good as if not better than the name brand.
    False
    I used to work for a cheese factory, and we packaged cheese for big names, as well as generic, such as Albertson's brand, etc. It all came from the exact same block of cheese, we would just count out however many we needed for each brand, and then switch the packaging. I ALWAYS buy the generic cheeses now, beacuse I know that they are the exact same as the stuff that costs a lot more.
    False
    Thanks for the input. I don't usually have too many complaints about the food items; they seem to be real comparable. Some of the bath/hair products I wasn't as happy with.
    False
    I work for Wal-Mart in Central Arkansas.

Great Value Bacon = Tyson's
    Great Value vegetables = Libby's
    Great Value Ice Cream = Blue Bunny

I'll see if I can find out some others.
    False
    I had a relative that worked in a pasta factory. They ran the "Name brand" labels until noon, the switched the labels on the exact same machine for the "store" brands. I use a lot of Albertsons brand items and have been really happy with them.

Belinda
    False
    One other one

Great Value Sausage = I'm pretty sure it is JC Potter.
    False

I got this from a friend at Wal-Mart Corporate Offices in Marketing, so I know this is correct.

GV cake mix is Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.
    They are out of Chester, IL
    Phone is 800.851.5371

Mary
    False
    MaryK.
    Let's see which ones I can remember from Wal-Mart.
    Canned beans=Con Agra(they own Ranch Style & Van Camps)
    catsup=Del Monte
    canned tomato products=Con Agra(they own Hunts)
    tomatoes and green chiles=Con Agra(they own Ro-tel)
    worcestershire sauce=Lea&Perrins
    spagetti sauce=Ragu
    all canned vegetables=Del Monte
    tuna=Chicken of the Sea
    coffee&tea=Luzianne
    That's all I can remember for now,maybe more later. Depo!!!
    False

photo eagle13.jpg

Interesting!

What is the source for the "manufactured" food (peanut butter, cheese, butter etc.) the government gives as commodities?

False
    I have almost quit buying the name brands because the store brands are a lot cheaper.

I love the Albertson's brand of pickled beets.

I have quit buying Campbell's soups and went to Great American or store brands.

I have also quit buying Post's or Kellogg's raisen brand because they cost over $3 a box for 20 ounces, I can buy Ralston for $1.39 that has more raisens.

Food items are not the only thing that we need to watch but all the other stuff we buy. A lot of the things we buy all come from the same companies with only name brand changes. A person needs to do a little research before buying anything.

I always think about the time I was stationed in Korea and I was able to buy all kinds of name brand tennis shoes for $3 a pair off the economy in local stores and everyone here in the US was paying over a $100 a pair for the same thing.

Like the old saying goes "Buyer Beware of What you are Buying"

Boe
    False
    This is really interesting and good to know.
    When I drove into Aldi's the other morning, a Borden's milk truck was pulling out from the back unloading area, so I'm assuming at least some of their dairy products are Borden's?
    And a Wonder Bread truck was leaving at the same time.
    False