Looking for authentic Italian recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for authentic Italian recipes

Last post Jan 08, 2006 7:44 PM by MHTeach224 . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Looking for authentic Italian recipes
    I am having an Italian themed anniversary dinner party for 7 people. I am looking for some new recipes. I am going to make an excellent recipe I have for ricotta manicotti crepes from an immigrant italian cookbook I have. But, I would like a few of your favorite suggestions for appetizers, other main courses, and deserts. Thanks.

Stephanie - IL
    False
  • RE: Looking for authentic Italian recipes
    A cold antipasto always works well and you can put in any ingredients you prefer.

Proscuitto
    Cappicola
    Salami
    Ham
    Provolone
    Mozzarella
    Tomatoes
    Olives
    Pepperoncinis
    Roasted Peppers

Serve over a large bed of lettuce w/ your favorite Italian dressing.

Or, how about Bruschetta?

There's so much you can do. The Ricotta Manicotti Crepes sound delicious.
    False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero
    Go to:

http://www.
    lharrington.com/TOH/tohcollections.htm

this is a link made on this BB and it should have what you are looking for. It is wonderful!
    False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'
    My basic Bruschetta is always a hit. Here's the recipe.
    Here's my recipe – It’s something my DSIL & I came up after a trip to Rome. Very authentic – & uses typical basic Italian ingredients & concepts.

Make a batch of the following: Our family calls it Momma Luccis, but call it whatever. It's a basic Italian mix. I keep it in a pretty jar on the counter. I make lots of it & give it away too.

In large bowl combine:

1 container of Garlic Salt (I buy cheap spices from Big Lots or Dollar store)

1 container of Garlic Pepper

2 containers of Basil

Mix all those up, & put in container. One batch makes about 3 Cs. I use it all the time. A batch lasts about 6 mos. Use with meatballs, pasta, breads, etc.

For Bruschetta: For about 35, I (usually) buy two loaves of cuban or french bread-. sometimes called Bagette. The bread is about 2" in diameter x 1.5 ft long. Its aprx .99 locally. Have bakery slice it into 1/4 inch slices, if not you'll have to slice it yourself. Slice (if needed) & set aside.

Take a cube butter, or about 1/2 C soft margarine, & combine it with about 1.5 Tbls Momma Luccis. Spread bread slices with butter mix with spatula or if melted use basting brush. Put on baking sheet. Bake at 400 for about 10 mins., or if short on time, broil for 2-3 minutes - til golden brown & toasty.

Then take another large bowl for Tomato mix. If you have fresh garlic use 1 clove for every 3 tomatoes. If you have fresh basil use about 20 leaves for every 3 tomatoes. Tear-don’t cut the basil. In food processor or food chopper thing, Chop 3-5 (big or 6-8 plum) good ripe tomatoes, one at a time & empty into bowl. Add about 1/4 C good Virgin Olive Oil. (Oil gives it a shiney look. Use enough oil to make a shine.) If not using fresh, add about 1/4 C Momma Luccis, & an additional 1-2 Tbls Basil. (Basil is key.) If using fresh add about 1 tsp. Momma Luccis. With time you’ll be able to tell if mix is right, start small and work up.
    False
    Put tomatos on a big tray surrounded by bread slices with spoons for the tomatoes. Its gorgeous stuff & does best at room temp.
    False
    I did a big dinner party for 50 -- all with an Italian Theme.

I highly suggest a big anitpasto salad. It was a huge success.

There's a great cannolli cake type recipe that was here a couple of days ago. It would work well with your theme. I'll see if I can find it for you, as well as the antipasto salad I served.
    False
    : Treble_Clef Posted on: 7/14/2004 9:01:38 AM
    #R4008666
    This is from one of the ToH email newsletters.

Antipasto Platter

1 jar (24 ounces) pepperoncinis, drained
    1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans
    or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 cups halved fresh mushrooms
    2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    1/2 pound provolone cheese, cubed
    1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained
    1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
    1 bottle (8 ounces) Italian vinaigrette dressing
    Lettuce leaves

In a large bowl, combine the peppers, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, olives and pepperoni. Pour vinaigrette over mixture and gently toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Arrange on a lettuce-lined platter. Serve with toothpicks.

The picture is gorgeous.
    False
    : Treble_Clef Posted on: 7/14/2004 9:05:08 AM
    #R4008686
    This is one I've made for years. I take it to potlucks and am always asked for the recipe. Originally I didn't have a recipe for it, so I had to figure it out!

Angel Hair Pasta Salad

1 package Angel hair pasta -- cooked as directed (12 oz)
    6 Tablespoons Kroger Salad Seasoning
    Green pepper – chopped ¾
    Green Onion – chopped (4 or 5)
    Black Olives – sliced (8 oz. can)
    Green Olives – sliced (one 8 oz jar)
    Roma tomatoes- cut up 3
    Yellow Pepper -- cut up ¾
    Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
    -- use as much as necessary
    -- usually almost the whole bottle

Mix and let set overnight. Stir just before serving, as the vegetables fall to the bottom.

The Kroger (store brand) salad seasoning I pick up in Indiana when I visit. I've recently seen that McCormick's has a similar Salad Seasoning.

False
    This came from an Italian cookbook and is very good. I have only used boneless chicken breasts but the flavors are great. Just be sure and cook on medium or lower heat.

Italian Fried Chicken

1/3 C grated parmesan cheese
    3 TBL all purpose flour
    3/4 tsp dried basil crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    Dash of pepper
    1 fryer chicken cut up
    1 TBL Olive oil

Combine all dry ingredients in a paper or plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat evenly. Dipping the chicken in milk or buttermilk before trying to coat them helps to get an even covering

Heat oil and place chicken in skillet. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat till chicken is tender, turning occasionally.

I have only used this recipe with boneless breasts and they are great. The key is to cook slowly and only turning once or twice. They have a crispy coating but not a lot of calories.
    False
    hidecogal Posted on: 7/14/2004 9:13:53 AM
    #R4008749
    how about a nice summer vegetable salad with all sorts of veggies and marinated in an italian salad.
    I use one that every one just raves over and it seems you have plenty of pasta's and everything else and this one you won't be heating the oven for.
    Here it is;

Summer Vegetable salad

1 small jar green olives about 5 3/4 oz.
    1 jar black olives about the same size
    1-2 c. cherry tomatoes or quartered tomatoes
    1 head cauliflower cut in flowerettes
    1 head broccli
    1 can slices water chestnuts ( optional), drained
    1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms or 2 cans, drained (optional)
    1 -2 carrots cliced
    1 cucumber sliced
    1 onion sliced
    1 green pepper , cut up
    1 bunch of onions ( optional)
    Season the tomatoes with salt and then mix all ingredients and then add your marinade.

Marinade;
    1 16 0z. Bottle Italian dressing
    and
    1-2 envelope of good seasonings dressing mixed according to envelope directions.

Mix with vegetables, refrigerate and stir ocassionally and marinate for 4 hours. You should also taste and add salt if it seems flat before you put in frig to marinate.
    Actually the amount of ingredients of anything doesn't matter because you can add more of some of your favorite item in this recipe. I usually add more tomatoes to my taste.

We are invited to go to the lake with some people this weekend and I am bringing that along as my contribution along with a fresh raspberry pie, fresh raspberries and restaurant style caramel rolls.
    This is very healthy too( I mean the veg.salad).
    ENJOY
    False
    ITALIAN WEDDING CAKES
    (VANILLA KNOTS)

4 cups flour
    ½ cup shortening
    ¾ cups sugar
    2 tsp. vanilla (or anise)
    5 eggs
    4 tsp. baking powder

Beat eggs well, add sugar and vanilla. Mix flour and shortening as if for pie crust. Add baking powder. Add egg mixture. Knead and roll into desired shapes by teaspoon-traditionally, roll in small logs and cross like a pretzel (hence the name “knots”). They will bake round and puffy. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes. Cool and frost with glaze of your choice (flavored with anise or vanilla).
    False
    Posted by: gaudrey_GA Replies: 1 Posted on: 8/26/2003 12:00:25 PM
    #T221695
    This is a good dish to make in an electric skillet so you don't heat up the kitchen too much. Probably could use the crockpot too, but I haven't tried it that way. It only takes a total of about 45 minutes start to finish.

Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions

1 pound Italian link sausages
    1 green bell pepper, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips
    1 large onion, sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 package Knorr Tomato Basil soup mix
    1 1/4 cups water

Cut sausage into 2 inch pieces. Spray a large non-stick pan (electric preferred) to prevent sticking. Fry sausages on medium high until browned on all sides. Drain off fat. Add pepper, onion and garlic to the pan. Stir and fry until just tender, but not browned. Stir in soup mix and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover pan and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. 4 servings. With a salad and bread you have a complete meal
    False
    This is truely Italian and fairly easy to make. And you can make them ahead of time.

Crostoli

3 eggs
    6 tbsp. milk
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    pinch of salt
    3 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. vinegar
    2 to 3 cups of flour

Combine all ingredients. Roll out very thin on a floured surface. Cut into strips with a slit in the middle to make a bow shape. Fry in oil until lightly browned. Sprinkle with icing sugar.

Marlene
    False
    bump
    False
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and recipes. You guys are great!

Stephanie - IL
    False