Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix

Last post Mar 01, 2008 10:29 PM by TriainAtlanta . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix
    Has anyone doctored a Red Velvet Cake mix?

Since so many of the scratch recipes I have looked at vary, am I not sure how close to the real thing this is. Some recipes call for cocoa and vinegar and other recipes don't contain those two ingredients. The next time I have a really good Red Velvet Cake, I need to see if I can get the recipe. I really think the cream cheese frosting is the best part to be honest.

I am considering using this mix to make a crawling cake with. I thought it would look so pretty in my Nordic Ware Rose Bundt pan.
    False
  • RE: Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix
    This is the best Red Velvet Cake I've made, using a cake mix. I believe it's from Cubbybear.
    I was so pleased with it that I'll probably never make another one from scratch. I used Cream Cheese Frosting, as I don't like the frosting that is usually made for this cake. Way too much shortening for me. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this recipe. ~~Carolyn

Easy Red Velvet Cake *****

One Fudge marble cake mix (18-1/4 oz.)
    1 tsp. baking soda
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 c. buttermilk
    1 oz. red food coloring
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Mix all ingredients 'til moistened; beat on high speed 2 minutes. Bake in two 9" round pans at 350 for 30-35 minutes, cool 10 minutes.
    This is good with either cream cheese frosting or the frosting recipe that's already posted. This recipe has never failed me and holds together great in spite of being incredibly moist.
    False
    I have not made one from scratch in a long time. And I like the one that was just posted so well I doubt if I ever will again...but there is one in this month's Family Circle if anybody wants it. It is a from scratch one that sounded pretty good. I have made this Easy Red Velvet Cake twice so far and both times it was really good and much easier than the scratch ones I am familiar with.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Carolyn,
    Thank you so much for the recipe you posted. I don't ever remember seeing a Fudge Marble Cake mix though around here (SC). Do you have any other suggestions?

Gratefulservant,

I am interested in you recipe. I also noticed where this TOH most recent issue also has a Classic Red Velvet Cake in it.

Thank you both for your quick responses.

DoveChocolate
    False
    I have a recipe from Betty Crocker or Kraft that calls for German Chocolate and that's what I use. It's very good

Diana
    False
    Dove, I don't remember if the Marble Cake mix is BC or DH, but I have no trouble getting it here. I think the suggestion for the German Chocolate (or a Swiss Chocolate) would be about the same as the Marble and work fine.
    Carolyn
    False
  • Re: RE: Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix

I'm looking for the frosting from one of those little recipe books, betty crocker and it was for a red velvet cake made with marshmallow cream. Do you have the recipe for this frosing?

Thanks

Chari

False
  • Re: Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix

I make mine with a Marble Cake mix also, but at the request of a co-worker I use frosting made from instant vanilla pudding.  It's what her Mom used to make her for her Birthday. I owed her a favor one day and asked what I could do for her, and not being a shy person,,, she ordered a Red Velvet Cake with "THIS frosting" and she handed me the recipe. lol. It's the frosting I always use now. I do add powdered sugar and a little extra milk just to stretch it out some & make it more stable for a layer cake. Just made it a few days ago as a matter of fact because my DH reuested it for his BDay also.  

Posted by: dessert1st

Posted on: 8/27/2005 8:53:03 PM

#R6281931

Pudding Icing

½ c sugar

½ c margarine

½ c crisco

Beat 10 minutes, then add:

1 c milk

1 sm instant pudding

1 t vanilla

Beat additional 10 minutes.

False
    Classic Red Velvet Cake
    by DaddysKricket_NC

From Taste of Home

This ruby-red cake with it's lovely cream cheese frosting has become my "signature dessert." I can't go to any family function without it. The cake is very moist with a buttery chocolate taste.

1/2 cup shortening
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
    3 teaspoons white vinegar
    1 teaspoon butter flavoring
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2-1/2 cups cake flour
    1/4 cup baking cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk

FROSTING:
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
    3 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.

Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

In a large mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.

Sylvia's Red Velvet Cake
    posted by GrannyBarbieJ Texas

For the cake:
    2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    2 large eggs
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 ounces red food coloring
    1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

For the Frosting:
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
    1 pound box confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped pecans

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla. Spread the batter evenly in the pans.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Stir in pecans. Use frosting to fill and ice cake. Slice and serve on individual plates.

False

I have made 3 red velvet cakes in the past year with 3 different recipes ( from scratch ) and I just can't see what all the hype is about this cake ( My opinion only)  I only made these cakes because everyone talks about how good they are. After making the cake 3 times, I would far rather have a good old fashioned chocolate cake. As I stated " My opinion only"

False
  • Re: RE: Doctoring a Red Velvet Cake Mix

I haven't ever used a cake mix - other than the red velvet cake mix and I don't particularly like it.   I will try the marble one next time.   I generally use that cake mix to make a really neat cake with 4 different "colors" and it is spectacular when you slice it.

My "scratch" red velvet cake mix is very good but I also like the cream cheese icing better than the one that "comes" with my recipe.   However, there is one thing about the "included frosting recipe" - not as sweet as other frostings. 

False
    Tria
    This is an excellent "scratch" recipe - I used to always make it for my daughter's February birthday!   My SIL gave me the recipe years ago.   
    Tria 

Red Velvet Cake
    This is the Red "Satin" Cake recipe (a very old recipe) that I used to make, but haven't made it in years. It did call for 1 T. cocoa, but red velvet cake is actually not a devil foods cake w/ red food coloring. This is a beautiful cake and is similar to Martha Stewart's. We used to use a butter cream icing on it instead of the cream cheese icing that everyone uses now. The cake is very silky and smooth and beautifully RED!

1/2 cup shortening or unsalted butter - or a mixture of both
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    Cream w/ butter/shortening.
    Add 2 well beaten eggs, creaming well again.
    Add 3 small bottles of red vegetable food coloring.
    Sift together the following:
    2 1/2 ccups cake flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 T. cocoa

Add sifted ingredients to butter mixture, alternating w/ 1 cup of buttermilk, mixing and folding in after each addition. Add 2 tsps. of vanilla.
    Lastly - STIR in without beating:
    1 tsp. soda and 1 T. vinegar.

Bake in greased and paper lined layers (I always used two) for 30 min. at 350 degrees.

Icing:

Cook until thick in double boiler, scant 1 cup milk and 1/2 cup flour. LET COOL COMPLETELY!
    Beat until fluffy: 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar and add to first mixture and continue to beat. Add 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla. Spread between layers on top and sides - Top w/ coconut, if desired. Soft icing, not too sweet, but good. Be sure and cool the flour/milk mixture before adding to the other ingredients.

As for the cocoa issue - I do not think that you taste it that much, anyway, with a small amount. I believe that the Martha Stewart recipe does leave it out.

Tria
    False
    Tria