Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?

Last post Jun 06, 2012 1:18 PM by miami101 . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?
    Every time I wash it, even though i use a salad spinner, it becomes soggy and gross. I see now some restaurants are just serving a fourth a head w/ dressing as first course, so...do I ever need to wash the lettuce again?
    False
  • RE: Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?
    I always wash it...otherwise it can have dirt in it.
    False
    I always wash it too, to get the dirt out of it.
    Anita
    False
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Leave The Rest To God. Anita
    You should wash all fruits and vegetables. You might try leaf lettuce or Romaine - they keep very well after washing and have a lot more vitamins in them than iceberg. Washed lettuce also keeps longer in a FoodSaver Canister that is vacuum sealed.

As an aside: Even fruits or vegetables that are sold in their peels need to be washed well. Consider this: Take a banana or orange from a bowl of fruit. You don't know if it has been sneezed on or rolled on the floor or what might have happened to it before it showed up in your kitchen. You peel it and eat pieces with your hands. Even if the hands are clean to begin with, after touching the dirty fruit peel, whatever contaminants -- dirt or microorganisms -- that were on the outside of it are now on your hands.

Consider another scenario. Slice a chunk of watermelon. If disease-causing bacteria are on the outside of the melon (which are easily picked up from the ground that they grow on), they easily can enter the fruit via the knife blade if the outside of the melon hasn't been washed.

So don't give up washing your lettuce.

False
    I never do...

The one time I tried it got waterlogged and sloppy.

Conniemarie
    False
    I'm w/ you Connie...Maybe i will just stick to the bags of prewashed lettuce..just hate the cost!
    False
    Someone I know had blood work to determine if he had Hep B. He did. The doctor asked if he had had unprotected sex or used someone else's needle for drugs. He said no. It was determined that he got it from eating unwashed lettuce picked by a migrant worker in California. Now knowing that I wouldn't want to take a chance. Marlene
    False
    AmyTT - Have you tried chilling your lettuce before washing it? I always do then I wash it under cold running water, let it dry in my dish drainer OR wrap in a paper towel. I have never had limp iceberg lettce. Mzfryz
    False
    Amy- Mine stays fresh after I wash it at least a week. I make sure to drain it very well- then put it in a zip-lock bag with a paper towel. Works like a charm. BTW- I live where many fruits and veg's are gown (central California) and I can tell you that field sanitation is not good. The workers use porta-potties and have no place to wash their hands. Everything needs to be washed.

Belinda
    False
    I always hit the core hard against the side of the sink, then pull it out. Then I run warm water through it, followed by cold water. Drain as well as you can, wrap in paper towel, and put into zip lock bag. I don't usually use iceberg, as it has no food value, but it is nice and crisp. I prefer Romaine. and I do the same with that.
    False
    I wash mine, too and never have a problem with it staying crisp if you drain it well.

Those bags of prewashed salad greens have a LOT of preservatives sprayed on them to keep them fresh!! Gross!!
    JMO
    False

cilla / NW FL               

I always wash the the bagged lettuce or greens as well as head lettuce. Drain, but don't spin or dry and put in frig for 1/2 hr or overnight. Spin or dry before serving. It will be much crisper. (Love my salad spinner!)
    False
    of course...even the bagged stuff..grit and bugs....yuck....never gets soggy though...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I got this hint from Heloise's column many years ago. Hit mthe core on a counter top and remove core. Run warm water thru the lettuce to clean it. Drain slightly and then wrap in a clean towel. Put inside a clean washing machine with the core toward the drum and close lid. Put on spin cycle and when finished you will have a very dry head of lettuce to put in fridge. I do this with all my lettuce. I have sown up some small bags out of terry cloth and they have ties to tie it closed. Love it.
    False
  • Re: RE: Do you need to wash iceberg lettuce?

I don't have any problem with soggy lettuce --  rather, rusty lettuce.   I seem to remember a booklet from a lettuce 'council' many years ago that actually mentioned as a plus, the fact that iceberg lettuce doesn't need to be washed.  (I have never found dirt or ANYTHING visible when I wash lettuce.   A tight head might be safe but I can see where loose heads can have grit, etc.)

False