Need advice on a pasta bar.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need advice on a pasta bar....

Last post Nov 28, 2012 12:48 PM by enjoynature . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Need advice on a pasta bar....
    Can anyone advise me on how to keep pasta warm for a 4 hour open house buffet? My daughter wants a pasta bar with 3 or so sauces and a couple different pastas as the main menu theme for her graduation open house in June. I think a crock pot would keep the plain pasta warm but I'm concerned it will turn to either leather or mush. Would you just put some butter on the pasta while keeping it warm? Any other suggestions for sides to go with the pasta or great sauce recipes?
    False
  • RE: Need advice on a pasta bar....
    For the sauces, I would suggest one plain tomato sauce, one tomato sauce with meat, and one alfredo sauce. You could have "add-ons" of sliced mushrooms, black olives, steamed broccoli florets, grated cheese, etc. Tossed salad (or a vegetable tray) and garlic bread would be good too.

Hope someone has a great idea for keeping the pasta warm because I'm interested in hearing that myself.
    False
    Had a pasta bar for about 100 last year. We used chaffing dishes to keep the pasta hot and I tossed it with margarine. The chaffing dishes sit on hot water so the pasta didn't dry out. You can buy disposable ones at a party store. I used crock pots for the sauces. Red with meat, red without meat, and alfredo. It worked so well I'll try it again sometime!

Belinda
    False
    The chafing dishes are the best suggestion. Sam's and Costcos have the stands with the foil pans if you don't want to buy the larger heavier ones. I have one of the larger metal ones and it does take a lot of storage space and unless you use it often - not really worth the expense.

You can also use - maybe rent - roasters with the inserts - but companies like Aaron rents have a lot of serving options available. Catering companies generally use the chafing dishes to keep the pasta and the sauces hot while serving.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Yes those chafing dishes are great. If you have a party rental place they will rent them to you. Sterno should last 4 hours. Also, I wouldn't put butter on the pasta, I think olive oil or veg oil is a better idea because it can take a higher heat and won't burn as easy as butter.

Also, I don't think kids like Alfredo. They like tomato sauce. If anything, I think pesto would be a better alternative than Alfredo. Alfredo can get awfully gross fast.

Grazer
    False
    Chafing dishes for sure! Otherwise you will have a gluey mess, and room temp pasta/sauce.

I catered a party that had 3 kinds: Wild Mushroom .... Scallop w/Spinach & Cheese in a light wine/cream sauce.... and Meat/Tomato. I mixed the sauces with the 3 different pastas before placing them in the chafing dishes. This will help the pasta to 'hold'.

donnac
    False
    The alfredo worked pretty well. I heated it on the stove and just kept it warm in a crockpot on low(that I had pre-heated with hot water). It was actually the most popular sauce even with the younger kids. I was hoping for leftovers- but, alas, there were none.

We served fruit, salad, and garlic bread. Best wishes for your DD on her graduation!!

Belinda
    False
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll do some experimenting.
    False
    If you have a Nesco roaster with the insert that is a divider, you could put water in the roaster and the pasta in the divided dishes and that would work like a chafing dish.
    False
    bump
    False

Hi Belinda,

Would you mind sharing your alfredo sauce recipe?

Thanks,

Betty

False

My boss does catering and he puts little olive oil in with pasta to keep it seperated.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson
  • Re: Need advice on a pasta bar....

Wow! Old post from the past.

False