Does canned frosting go "bad"? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does canned frosting go "bad"?

Last post Apr 25, 2005 10:58 AM by _FOOTSIE . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Does canned frosting go "bad"?
    I got my last can of frosting down for the crawlin' cake I am making for one of my co-workers birthdays, and when I opened it, it was seperated.
    I stirred it up good, and, smelled and tasted. It seems to taste ok, but, I have never seen seperation like this. It was kind of oily on top. After stirring, it was a great consistancy.
    I am just ready to throw the icing into the cake, and need to know if I am going to poison Eva instead of celebrate with her.
    TIA,
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: Does canned frosting go
    LOLOL Kathy!
    I think it probably just separated and should be fine as long as it doesn't taste rancid.
    I think they put enought preservatives in that stuff that it will last a millenium...lol.
    Good luck with your cake!!!
    Have a great day
    DeeAnn
    False
    I agree. The nose knows!

Belinda
    False
    Thanks DeeAnn,
    I added a lot of almond extract to it, in case it is bad, I can tell them it was arsnic, and not bad frosting.
    I think it will be fine, I agree with you, it's in a can for goodness sake, and, it's pure sugar.
    Well, time will tell.
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    I would say it probably had gotten warm and then cooled again. If you could incorporate all the stuff that was separated back into the frosting it should be fine as long as it didn't smell strong. As everyone said, you would know if it was icky by the smell.
    False
    Also, since you added a lot of almond, you should probably tell them it was cyanide, since it smells like bitter almonds. Just so you get your story straight. :) Hee hee...
    False
    lol i hope not the guys at the mill ate one with frosting i'd had in the cupboard so long i can't remember why i even bought it since i don't buy frosting as a rule.
    False