REC REV - Casslepier's Banana Bread | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

REC REV - Casslepier's Banana Bread

Last post Jun 02, 2005 8:45 AM by CA_girl . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • REC REV - Casslepier's Banana Bread
    I just made Casslepier's Banana Bread recipe this morning and it is wonderful! The next time I make this, I'll bake it in the mini loaf pans so that I can share it with a few of my neighbors. Thank you Kim - this one's a keeper! Paulette

Posted by: casslepier Posted on: 6/3/2003 8:48:31 AM
    #R1631082
    I don't think I've seen one with my mom's "secret ingredient" (orange juice). EVERY time I make this people ask for the recipe. Not that you can go wrong with any kind of banana bread! It is extremely moist and yummy! Kim

MOM’S BANANA BREAD
    1 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. liquid shortening
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup orange juice
    2 large bananas
    1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mash bananas with fork. Pour in all other ingredients and mix. Grease and flour pans. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour. Makes 2 standard size loaves.
    False
  • RE: REC REV - Casslepier's Banana Bread
    Thanks for the review, Paulette! Sounds good!

Amy
    False

False
    False
    Hey Paulette!
    Thanks for the nice review and the email! I was searching for this post and it just bumped back to the front! LOL That was weird!

I'm glad you liked it! It is simple and I always get asked for the recipe! Thanks for trying it and the nice review!
    You are the best!
    Kim
    False
    Guess I've missed this recipe. Will have to give it a try. Thanks!
    False
    Well Kim - I have now eaten a half a loaf all by myself today...I hope you're happy! LOL I brought the other half over to my neighbor lady to try and she called to let me know that she loved it as well! Thanks!

Paulette
    False
    LOL Paulette!

I wish I had some right NOW! I'm starving! LOL

Thanks again!
    False
    OK, what the heck is liquid shortening? Not oil? Is it shortening that has been melted?
    False
    DorothyR, I wondered the same thing. I have a guess it is shortening melted. But I would rather use butter. Don't you think that would be okay? Probably the same amount of butter melted, would you say?

This does sound good. I copied it off a while ago and saw it again. Thought I would ask the question again.

Germanlady
    False
    Nothing of value in life comes effortlessly.
    I just used Crisco Oil.

Paulette
    False
    This recipe is literally goes back to my great grandmother so I think they called it "liquid shortening" back then! LOL Guess I should just change it to oil huh?

I would hesitate to change the oil with butter as it is such a minimal amount compared to most recipes. I made an error copying this recipe at one point and only used 1 tbsp. oil and my bread was literally ruined. It had a hard crust like a yeast bread and totally raw in the middle! Not salvagable at all! I have figured out that the 2 Tbsp. of oil are an important part of this recipe the hard way! LOL
    False
    Thanks Paulette for the review (and recipe). I have a few quick bread recipes that call for orange juice and I agree that those breads are delicious. I just happen to have a couple of ripe bananas handy so I'll give it a try. Thanks Kim for sharing a special recipe.

Dottie
    False
    Kim, a question. Do you usually use two 9" x 5" or 8" x 4" pans? I also have the Pampered Chef 4 mini-size pan piece of stoneware. Thanks.

Dottie
    False
    I think my pans are the 9 x 5 ones. I also have made the mini loaves (I am trying to remember I think it made like 3??) and I've even made muffins out of these as well. I just kind of watch them and test the center to make sure they get done.
    False