rolls | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

rolls

Last post May 05, 2005 8:19 PM by gracibug . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • rolls
    There is a restaurant in Louisville, Ky. called Stoney River Steakhouse. They have these rolls that taste like donuts, they have poppyseeds in them. They call them stoneypuppies, I requested the recipe , but they couldn't give it out. If anyone has a recipe similar to this please e-mail it to me!!
    False
  • RE: rolls

False
    Are they deep fried like donuts? Or do they look like donuts-or are they like little bagels?
    False

Cool

Are they like these?

Mini Herbed Rolls -(Pull Aparts)

3 T butter or margarine1
    T dried minced onion
    2 t dill seed
    1/4 t celery seed
    1 t poppy seed
    12 oz. can refrigerator biscuits
    1/4 C Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in 8 inch round pan. Sprinkle onion and herb seed evenly over butter. Separate dough into 10 biscuits; cut each into 4 pieces. Place pieces and cheese into a bag; shake to coat then arrange biscuits in the pan. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Turn onto plate and serve warm.
    False

Cool

I have never eaten there and found this recipe in my recipe clippings so there must be one about 100 miles north of where we live.

FROM THE MENU OF. . .

STONEY RIVER LEGENDARY STEAKS,
    5800 State Bridge Road, Duluth, 770-497-6676; and 10524 Alpharetta Highway, Roswell, 678-461-7900

Horseradish crust makes any steak cut memorable

Q: My family would love to have the recipe for the horseradish-encrusted steak at Stoney River Steakhouse. However, if they will not give it to you, any recipe for the horseradish-encrusted part that you believe to be good would be very much appreciated. I would be using it on salmon and steak. Thanks so much for your help.

-- Diane Craycraft, Marietta

A: Steve Hill, managing partner of Stoney River, was happy to share the recipe. Stoney River offers this topping with any steak, but it's most often requested on filet mignon.

False

Cool

The trick when cooking filets is to get even cooking, so choose filets of uniform thickness. Because you want the coating to adhere with minimal flipping, choose steaks that aren't too thick, so the coating doesn't overbrown. Cooking time will vary greatly with the size and thickness of your steaks and the desired doneness.

Your idea to try the horseradish coating on salmon sounds like a good one.

-- Jeanne Besser

MAIN DISH

Horseradish-Encrusted Steaks

Jean Shifrin/AJC

Makes 6 servings

Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus time to cool

Cooking time: 10 minutes

1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs; available at Whole Foods and some supermarkets)
    1/2 cup grated horseradish (jarred is fine)
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
    1 tablespoon oil
    5 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

6 (1-inch-thick) filet mignons

1 tablespoon butter

False

Cool

In a bowl, combine panko, horseradish, melted butter, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until well-combined. Cover and let come to room temperature.

Coat top of each steak with about 1/4 cup horseradish mixture and press to flatten.

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Place steaks in pan, topping side down, and cook to golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook second side 3 to 5 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness (you might need to do this in two batches).

Per serving: 566 calories (percent of calories from fat, 76), 24 grams protein, 10 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 48 grams fat, 133 milligrams cholesterol, 375 milligrams sodium.

False

Cool

This recipe is from my Sunset Kitchen magazine :O)

Lemon-Poppy Seed Doughnut Holes

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 hour plus at least 1 hour to chill dough

MAKES: About 24 doughnut holes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons poppy seeds
    1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    6 to 8 cups vegetable oil for trying
    Lemon glaze (recipe follows)

1. In a bowl, mix flour, poppy seeds, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt. In a small howl, whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla to blend. Stir into dry ingredients until well blended. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.

False

Cool

2. Scrape dough onto a generously floured surface. With floured hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place doughnut holes on a floured baking sheet.

3. Meanwhile, fill an electric deep-fryer to the fill line or pour about 4 inches of oil into a 5- to 6-quart pan; heat to 3750 (see "Fry Right," page 193). Using a slotted spoon to pick up one or two doughnut holes at a time, gently lower three or four holes into oil and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes (to check timing, cut first doughnut hole to test). Using slotted spoon, transfer doughnut holes to paper towels to drain. Repeat to fry remaining holes.

4. When cool enough to handle, roll each hole in glaze to coat. Place on a plate and let stand until glaze is set, about 2 minutes.

Per doughnut hole: 131 cal., 32% (42 cal.) from fat; 1.6 g protein; 4.7 g fat (1.2 g sat.); 21 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 102 mg sodium; 22 mg chol.

Lemon glaze. In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth.
    False

Cool

In response to hollyga, yes they are deep fried, about the size of a golfball. I think they are the best dinner rolls I have ever had!
    False