WATERY POTATO SALAD!!!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

WATERY POTATO SALAD!!!!!

Last post Aug 25, 2012 4:44 AM by annrms . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • WATERY POTATO SALAD!!!!!
    Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of new to this BB and have to say that it is just soooo fun and informative. Now I have a question that I just know some of you experts can help me with. Why does potato salad get "watery" sometimes after it sits in the fridge for a while (and why sometimes does it NOT get watery?) Is it the type of potato?? I made some yesterday evening to have for dinner tonight, and it was gross!!

Thanks in advance!
    False
  • RE: WATERY POTATO SALAD!!!!!
    Bump!
    False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast
    Glad you're having fun here. What do you use to dress your potato salad with? Maybe you're adding too much liquid? And are you letting the potatoes dry and cool enough? To make my potato salad thicker I usually "overcook" a couple of the potatoes, then I mash them and mix them with the mayonnaise, vinegar and seasonings I use to dress the salad. It makes it nice and thick.
    False
    My guess is the potatoes are too warm when making the salad. I always let mine cool completely.
    False

I have to throw a monkey wrench in here. I alway make potato salad with very warm potatoes. The potatoes seem to absorb the dressing better that way.

Are you cooking the potatoes in the jacket? I think if the potatoes are peeled before cooking they retain alot of the cooking water. JMHO. Carol
    False

Carol

I cook the potatoes one day and make the salad the next, that helps also don't use light mayo or salad dressing, that will help cause the problem, besides IMHO it doesn't taste as good as regular mayo or salad dressing. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

I also had the watery potato salad but I've solved my problem. I now bake my potatoes instead of boiling them in their skins like I've done forever. The potatoes are drier to start with. Also salt added to the salad can draw moisture out of the potato just like they can do with other vegetables. I only add a little. Now my potato salad tasted better then it ever has and never gets watery.
    Hope this helps.
    Kathy
    False
    I don't make potato salad very often but I would think that once the potatoes are boiled and drained, if you put them back in the hot pot for a few minutes the excess water would evaporate just like with mashed potatoes.
    False
    My father changed our family potato salad recipe, once he put cucumbers in it-it got watery when refrigerated probably because the cucumbers leaked their juices out when they got cold.

What is in your potato salad besides potatoes? Lots of people like baking their potatoes or having baked potato salad and that way you don't ever have watery potato salad because the potatoes absorb the moisture in the salad.
    False

Cool

Hi everyone,

And thanks so much for all the offers of help for my watery potato salad! I can't believe my husband actually ate it for lunch (altho he DID use a slotted spoone to serve it)!

Anyway, I DO let my potatoes cool (this time I actually cooked them the day before). I always put celery, onion, and choppped sweet pickle. I use mayo, mustard, seasonings, and sometimes sout cream in my dressing. Maybe the sour cream is the culprit-what does everyone think?

I'm going to bake my potatoes next time! That sounds like a great possibility.

Thanks again everyone, and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! Wish mine wasn't so far away.
    False
    Dachshundmom...I too have a dachie.
    I had this problem with my potato salad. I caught one of my darling children tasting it and the next day it was watery.Like baby food when you refridgerate it after opened it is watery?!? Well someone must have tasted it and...I could be wrong but if anyone has to taste it here it must goes in a dish! LOL
    Waving from Michigan (^_^)Karen
    False
    k
    I only bake my patatoes now too. Done it for years. I think they end up tasting better. I bake more than I need the first night and the leftovers become my salad the second night.

Pickles will also leak out some liquid. If the salad is still a bit runny try to add pickles at the last minute.
    False
    I always use the dried onions, onion powder, or freeze dried chives. As I have found that mine would water with using fresh onions. I do not let the potatoes soak in cold water to cool them after they are cooked, just place in strainer to cool. Be careful with using cucumbers, only add them to what I know we will use with that meal, even than I remove all the seeds. I usually add celery, pickles, green olives and canned pimentos in mine. I like the idea of mashing a potato and putting that into your salad. Wonder if instant potatoes would help too?
    False
    A dear neighbor ( now deceased) used to say that she never added onions until she was ready to eat it, or it would be watery. I guess I always think of her when I make potato salad, and don't add the onions early.
    False
  • Re: WATERY POTATO SALAD!!!!!

I have been making potato salad, cole slaw, and tuna salad for over 35 years. I never had a problem with any of these dishes turning waterythe next day until the last few years. The two common ingredients in al three dishes is Miracle Whip and onions. I think it's the onions. I use yellow onions and when chopping them I find them to produce a lot of juice; something I don't recall them doing in the past. I also remember them making my eyes tear up and rarely happens anymore. The way they have fooled around with the genetics of our food has obviously changed something along the way that causes this watery problem. I guess one way to find out would be to grow my own and see what happens.

False