Can Soy "milk" be frozen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can Soy "milk" be frozen?

Last post May 18, 2005 10:09 AM by Danswife_OR . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Can Soy "milk" be frozen?
    What about Rice, almond, coconut, etc. milks?

I've recently discovered dairy is a nono for me but everyone else in the family can have it so I don't go through a lot of it by myself. I hate to purchase something I can't finish before it goes bad!

TIA!
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
  • RE: Can Soy
    I've frozen regular milk, and buttermilk. I measure one cups in snack size baggies that zip.
    False
    Go to www.silkissoy.com It has a lot of info on soy milk. I drink it- but have never tried to freeze it. I buy it in single-serve boxes from Costco.

Belinda
    False
    Thank You both for your responses!

BelindaCat, Thank You for the link! I will look for the Silk brand. I'm really excited about their cultured soy!
    False
    Silk comes in 1 qt. containers. It shouldn't be a problem to finish that in a week, should it?

Chefly
    False
    Hi, Chefly!

WE made our weekly trip into town yesterday. WE usually "rotate" between the three stores, a different store each week as it seems each of them carries different items we desire. I was thrilled to find the "Silk" in quart containers yesterday and grabbed one. All I found at the other store last week was half gallon containers. One of the disadvantages of living away from the main transpo hubs (ie the freeways) I guess. I was hoping to find the cultured soy as well and was hoping to pick up some almond milk as it sounds like a fun one to play with but no such luck. Maybe next week!

Thanks for your response! :)
    False
    Danswife,
    I'm glad you found the quarts of Silk. The chocolate is fantastic if you get a chance to try it.
    The Almond milk is a shelf stable product, so it would be in the Health Food area of the store. I love chocolate, so the Chocolate flavor of the Almond milk is like drinking a chocolate almond candy bar. Add a pinch of coconut extract and I bet it would taste like an Almond Joy bar.
    Chefly
    False
    YUM, chefly!! I'll have to try that!!

Belinda
    False
    Thanks for the tip on where to find the almond milk. Silly me. I was looking in the baking aisle! LOL I'm thinking the almond milk would make a great milkshake too! A banana to make it creamy and some cocoa and/or (now that you've mentioned it)..coconut. Mmmm. Bet there are all kinds of fun possibilities!
    False

False
    I love the Silk products...the chocolate tastes really good. My DGD loves it too, and I find that it gives baked goods a nice texture. The Almond milk sounds good, will have to try that.

crowfeather

False

I went to the site and copied this info:

Can I freeze Silk Soymilk?

We do not recommend freezing Silk. It can be frozen, however upon defrosting, Silk tends to separate irregularly and this greatly reduces the visual quality and consistency of the product. You may keep Silk in your refrigerator unopened until the date stamped on the carton. This is not an expiration date, but rather an “open by” date, meaning we guarantee the quality and freshness of Silk for seven to ten days when opened on or before the date stamped on the carton. Freezing does not damage the nutritional value of the product.

Can I cook with Silk?

You can use Silk Soymilk in any recipe that calls for regular dairy milk. It works in soups, sauces, stews, dips, baking and frozen deserts. Because Silk Soymilk has very little saturated fat (that is good!) it does not “set up” like dairy milk when used in puddings, pie fillings and homemade soy yogurt. We recommend adding 1/4 cup cornstarch to the recipe and whisking constantly. See our recipe section to help get you started on your adventures in cooking with soy. Good cooking to you!

False

Can I bake with Silk?

Soymilk can replace regular dairy milk measure for measure in most baking recipes. However there are a few things you should know about Silk before you start your baking:

1. Silk has very little saturated fat in it. This is good for your heart but difficult if you are making puddings or pie fillings. We suggest adding less liquid and 1/4 cup corn starch to your recipe to help Silk "set up." Remember to whisk constantly.

2. Silk will scorch just like dairy milk if boiled at too high a temperature, and it will also form a skin.

3. Silk can be frozen even though our packaging doesn't recommend it. Just make sure that you freeze it for at least 48 hours and defrost SLOWLY in your refrigerator.

If you find that your baked goods are not rising as they should, check to make sure your baking powder or baking soda is fresh. When using baking soda make sure there is some kind of acid for it to react to such as lemon juice, vinegar or molasses. Happy Baking!

False
    Thanks to bagelbaker and Crowfeather for the additional information!

The "open by" date is really good to know, especially combined with what bagelbaker mentioned. Since we "rotate" between 3 (sometimes 4) different stores each week and each of the stores seem to carry totally different items this means I can just check the date and purchase enough at the store that carries it to carry me through til the next visit! :) Now if I could just find some nondairy margarine (I know what to look for but neither Safeway or Albertson's seem to carry it. Keeping my fingers crossed re Walmart!) and the cultured soy....

This is a bit of a pain, trying to figure everything out but once I got over the initial disappointment (bordering on mournful. Really! I really love my cheese!) I'm actually starting to get a bit excited about this! Who'd have thought! LOL The more I search, the more I learn, different, healthful alternatives, techniques... I was having a heck of a time trying to find information from real people, like forums and such until I discovered there's a lot of youngsters with this problem and their Parents are chatting up a srorm! And ya know what? Maybe I'm just a kid at heart but those kids like a lot of the same things that I do!LOL
    False
    If you would like to know other non-dairy products we enjoy or substitute for dairy just let me know. Have you determined if you can tolerate soy?
    Chefly
    False