Pear Honey | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pear Honey

Last post Nov 02, 2008 9:00 PM by plumcrazy__Alta . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Pear Honey
    Hey y'all,
    My grandmother lived her whole life is western Kentucky.She and her friends and relatives used to make a preserve she called Pear Honey. I know it had pears and I think it had pineapple in it. If anyone has this recipe, I would be very grateful and happy to be able to make it for my grandchildren as it was my childhood favorite.Thanks....Roobs
    False
  • RE: Pear Honey
    My grandma lived in NW Arkansas. She made pear honey also, but hers didn't have pineapple in it I don't think. It was so good. And I have never been able to duplicate it. Never turns out the way I remember it. Good luck. You would have thought they could have written down their recipes.
    False
    I found this one

Pear Honey

3 pounds (nine cups) ripe pears
    1 cup diced pineapple
    Grated rind and juice of one fresh lime
    5 cups sugar

Wash, pare, and core pears. Slice before measuring, then run through food chopper, using fine blade.
    Dice pineapple and combine with pears and lime rind and juice.

Add sugar and cook over slow heat, stirring frequently.

Cook for 20 minutes and pack into sterilized jars and seal while hot.

False

Pear Honey Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Yield: 12 to 16 (1/2-pint) jars
    User Rating:

1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple with syrup
    16 cups (about 6 pounds) peeled, cored, and chopped pears
    10 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    Special Equipment: 12 to 16 (1/2-pint) canning jars with lids

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook until pears are tender and mixture thickens, approximately 30 minutes. Transfer to sterilized jars and seal while still hot*.
    *Cook's Note: Follow USDA guidelines for proper sterilization and canning procedures.

Tips on Sterilizing Jars

Properly-handled sterilized equipment will keep canned foods in good condition for years. Sterilizing jars is the first step of preserving foods.

Sterilizing Tips:

Jars should be made from glass and free of any chips or cracks. Preserving or canning jars are topped with a glass, plastic, or metal lid, which has a rubber seal. Two piece lids are best for canning, as they vacuum seal when processed.

To sterilize jars, before filling with jams, pickles, or preserves, wash jars and lids with hot, soapy water. Rinse well and arrange jars and lids open sides up, without touching, on a tray. Leave in a preheated 175 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Or, boil the jars and lids in a large saucepan, covered with water, for 15 minutes.

cont
    False
    Use tongs when handling the hot sterilized jars, to move them from either boiling water or the oven. Be sure the tongs are sterilized too, by dipping the ends in boiling water for a few minutes.

As a rule, hot preserves go into hot jars and cold preserves go into cold jars. All items used in the process of making jams, jellies, and preserves must be clean. This includes any towels used, and especially your hands.

After the jars are sterilized, you can preserve the food. It is important to follow any canning and processing instructions included in the recipe and refer to USDA guidelines about the sterilization of canned products.
    False
  • Re: RE: Pear Honey

bump

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose