Huckleberry Jam | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Huckleberry Jam

Last post Jul 19, 2012 10:18 PM by mary989999 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Huckleberry Jam
    I am looking for a recipe for REAL huckleberry jam. I live in Northeast Oregon and we pick the berries all summer, but the only recipes I can find are for blackberry or blueberries. The recipes I have tried in the past turn out more like jelly.
    Thanks for your help,
    2kay
    False
  • RE: Huckleberry Jam
    My parents had huckleberry bushes all around their place (just outside Van. BC) and my mom would make huckleberry pies.... how I missed them when I moved back east!! Apparently you can't freeze or preserve these berries (except for a jam, I suppose)

I don't have a recipe, but wanted to thank you for the huckelberry memories! :-)

donnac
    False
    "Putting Food By" says, "Being cousins of the blueberry, these firm berries are handled like blueberries."
    Sorry, no specific recipe is given.
    A local cookbook, put together as a fundraiser, might have what you are searching for?
    False
    Here's a recipe, but I've never made it.

HUCKLEBERRY FREEZER JAM

3 c. crushed huckleberries
    (about 4 1/2 c. ripe
    berries)
    6 c. sugar
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 (3 oz.) foil pouches liquid
    pectin

Measure crushed berries, sugar and lemon juice into
    large bowl; stir until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
    Stir in pectin quickly, but thoroughly. Ladle quickly into
    clean containers; cover tightly.
    Carefully wash outside of containers; let them stand at
    room temperature until set (up to 24 hours). Store in freezer.
    Yield: about 8 cups.
    False
    Thanks for your replies. I will try this recipe. We make an adventure out of picking berries. We have a trailer this year, so plan to camp and PICK!!!
    False
    If you happen to see this (I know it's been over 2 years since you asked the question) but can you tell me how the Huckleberry Freezer Jam turned out. My FIL is bringing me a bunch of Huckleberries this weekend and wants me to make him some jam.
    False
  • Re: RE: Huckleberry Jam

Just for the record, I freeze huckleberries every summer.  They are very easy to use when frozen.  I just throw them in a ziploc and then use them as fresh when I want a taste of summer. Everyone I know here in MT does the same.  Last year after picking, I made up 10 pies and put them in the freezer (unbaked).  When we had out of state visitors I would pull one out and bake it.  It was a really treat for someone that had never tasted huckleberries before!

False
  • Re: Huckleberry Jam

Here's a cooked jam recipe.  I've played with the amounts a couple times, and this one finally jelled pretty nicely.

Just follow the directions on the pectin for cooked jam recipes. Makes about 6 cups.

4 cups crushed red huckleberries

5 cups sugar

1 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp butter

1 package Sure Jell pectin (powdered)

False