Pina Colada Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pina Colada Soup

Last post May 26, 2005 6:37 AM by JenniHusker . 1 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
  • Pina Colada Soup
    Years ago I visited the Atlanta Hilton restaurant at lunch that served a chilled soup in it's salad bar. It was named "Pina Colada Soup" and was delicious.

I have searched for a recipe for this chilled, salad soup but no luck so far!
    False
  • RE: Pina Colada Soup
    Piña Colada Soup

1 quart stock (chicken or vegetable)
    1 can coconut milk
    3/4 cup pineapple chunks
    1 small red onion, sliced into half moons
    1/2 cup sliced carrot
    1/2 cup sliced celery
    1 yellow pepper cut into thin slices
    2 teaspoons grated ginger
    4 kaffir lime leaves
    1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon peel
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons salt (roughly!)
    1 packet of ramen-like noodles per serving
    cilantro and green onion for garnish
    pepper
    -----------------------------------
    Put the coconut milk, lime leaves, lemon peel, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ginger in a big, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Bring to low simmer, reduce heat, and leave simmering while you do all of the other slicing, chopping, and continuous reloading of election returns. Let it simmer for at least 20 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavor.
    Add the stock, stir to mix. Turn heat back up to and bring it all to a low simmer, then turn the heat back down.
    In another pot, boil enough water to cook the noodles. I recommend that you cook the noodles fresh each time you serve the soup—assuming you’re going to serve some tonight and refrigerate the rest. Anyway, prepare the noodles according to the package directions, drain, and set aside.
    Heat a skillet, preferably nonstick, over high heat. Add a little canola or vegetable oil. Fry the onion until it is lightly carmelized. Pop the onion into the soup bowl. Repeat with carrots, celery, and pineapple.
    Add the sliced yellow pepper to the soup, and bring it all up to a low simmer. Add lemon juice. Check for seasoning—I had to add another teaspoon of salt, but your mileage will vary. Take out the lime leaves.
    Put a serving’s worth of noodles in each bowl, along with a bit of chopped cilantro and green onion. Ladle soup onto noodles.
    False