how to make good oatmeal | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how to make good oatmeal

Last post May 26, 2005 9:24 PM by chefly . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • how to make good oatmeal
    oatmeal:how to make tender but still have texture
    is there a trick to it?Can anyone help me ? My hubby loves oatmeal.I can't seem to make it anything but mushy. In the newspaper there was a restaurant that had one that said thiers was old-fashioned oatmeal toped w/fresh straw. and BlueBerries,dries cran. pecans Br. sugar and cream. Sounds good. However I need to figure out how to make the oatmeal.
    False
  • RE: how to make good oatmeal
    Is there another way to make it besides opening the bag and adding water and putting in the microwave???? LOL
    False
    Hi
    I used to make mushy oatmeal also. I think the trick to it is to make sure the water boils before putting the oatmeal in. I hope this works for you, seemed to work here. Good luck, Wendy
    False
    Sounds like you are over-cooking it. Don't use "instant" but get the quick cooking kind. Have water boiling, stir in the oatmeal and it's done in a minute or two. Be sure to measure according to directions.
    False
    I think the trick is the water amount. I use the instant every morning but I heat the water first, put the oatmeal in a bowl then add a little water at a time until I get the consistency I want. I use about 1/4 cup water for 1 packet of instant oatmeal. But I like mine thick so that may not be enough for some.

I say play around w/ the oatmeal using different amounts of water (or milk or whatever you use. My grandmother used to make it with the carnation milk which was thicker & she needed to use more). Then write down the "recipe". I know it seems silly to have a recipe for oatmeal, but it's easy to forget how much water & oats you use.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help
    dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

My family loves my oatmeal.

Use 1/2 C. Old fashioned oats. 1/2 C. water, 1/2 C. milk and put in small saucepan together (oatmeal too). Heat until gently boiling and it will cook in a few minutes. This is for one serving.

We've found that the quick-cooking and instant are gloppy.

Tastes sooo good and creams, yet the oatmeal doesn't get sticky. Best yet, under 200 calories :)
    False
    I also get the water or water and milk combo to boiling before adding the oatmeal. Also if you will add the dried cranberries when you cook the oatmeal it is really a taste treat. I do that with raisens as well. Or any dried fruit.
    To make the pan easier to wash, just fill with cold water. :) Will rinse right out.

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

The trick is to use the best oatmeal called pinhead oats or steel cut oats. Old Fashioned oats and quick cooking or instant oats are flakes made from steaming the whole oat, mashed flat and heated dry and then flaked. Of course they will be mushy when added to water. The whole oats are never mushy and has the best flavor of any oatmeal you have ever tasted. I doubt one in a hundred have ever tasted real oatmeal. The flaked is the taste most think is oatmeal.
    False
    I've had the steel cut oats before and frankly, I'm not a fan. I prefer the Old fashioned or in a pinch quick cooking. Dislike instant too.
    False
    The way I like oatmeal is to put the water (a little more than the directions call for), oats, and a little salt in the pan, and let it sit all night. In the morning add a little milk to it and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer 3 or 4 minutes, then let stand several minutes. I use the 5 minute variety, but you can use the 1 minute variety. Just cook about one minute. Sweetened condensed milk is good in oatmeal.
    False
    If you are using quick oats, the trick is to put the dr oats in boiling water, let it boil about one minute, then let it sit a minute. I use more oats than called for, not much but just to make it a little thicker.
    The oatmeal article you mentioned may really be Muesli, which is cold oatmeal and really good.
    it is a mex of oatmeal, milk, brown sugar, honey, fruit - cherries, apple, etc., and nuts. Mixed ahead and eaten for breakfast. First time I had it was at the Ritz, got my recipe from their chef!
    Remember, oatmeal is not low carb.
    False
    Use old fashioned oat. I use less water than the box calls for and cook it for less time. Bring the water to a boil, stir in the oats and only cook it for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it stand for 5 min. or until thickend.
    I also hate mushy thin oatmeal.
    Chefly
    False