About roasting chicken at 250 degrees | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

About roasting chicken at 250 degrees

Last post Aug 30, 2005 10:16 AM by Wildflour . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • About roasting chicken at 250 degrees
    A few days ago I printed out a recipe from peacefulnightdove "BEST Slow-Roasted Chicken". It sounded wonderful but was to be roasted at 250 degrees for 5 hours. That sounded like a low temperature to me, so I emailed the County Nutritionist and Health Agent where I lived. Here is her reply: Good for you JoAnn to be suspicious! That is definitely outside the USDA guidelines, and yes bacteria may well be growing for quite a while in there. Poultry especially should not be done at less than 325 degrees. You could use the same spices and onions, increase the temp to 325 and decrease the time. Figure about 20 min per pound for the time. The safest way is to use a meat thermometer, final temp in the thigh should be 180 degrees.
    Have a safe weekend!
    :o)
    False
  • RE: About roasting chicken at 250 degrees
    Good for you for checking that out. I would have been leary of cooking at such a low heat.

In my slow cooker, I always cook my meats on high for at least an hour and then turn it down to low. Trying to get the heat up.
    False
    JoRose_Fl,

You are smart to check out that information (and the advice to check the meat temperature of the thigh at 180F before serving is the best way to be safe eating chicken, too) :O)
    False

Cool

I'm glad you checked this out, too. I always roast mine at least at 350º. My sister-in-law does her turkey overnight at a dangerously low temperature. I swear that thing is in the oven all night, she sets it out and covers with foil for who knows how long! I hope she never invites me to Thanksgiving!
    False
    Sticky chicken is made the same way, I wouldn't serve it to anyone at 250F temperature unless I had a meat thermometer to check the chicken's internal temperature, though.

RE: ISO recipe for Sticky Chicken
    Posted by: lindachicken__Oklahoma Posted on: 10/31/2004 10:07:59 AM
    #R4641921

I think this is what your looking for :)

Roasted Sticky Chicken

Note: Start the night before roasting.

4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large roasting chicken
    1 cup onion, quartered

In a small bowl, combine all spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry.

Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep in the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, or cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight.

When ready to roast, stuff the cavity with onions and place in a roaster. Roast uncovered at 250 degrees for two hours. After the first hour, baste occasionally.

After two hours, cover with roaster cover or with tin foil and continue cooking at 250 degrees until done. (2-3 more hours) If the chicken has a pop up thermometer, ignore it.

Let chicken rest about 15 minutes before carving.

False

Cool

Thanks for checking and posting that info. I have made the sticky chicken recipe before but I have always cooked it at 325 degrees for about 2-2 1/2 hours.
    False
    The original sticky roasted chicken came from Paul Prudhomme, a chef in New Orleans and it was, supposedly, an old recipe of his mothers.
    I have made the chickens that way and I can assure you they are done when they are finished after 5 hours - and you don't need an oven thermometer to tell you they are done! (that doesn't mean you shouldn't test it) The meat has cooked fully and still remains juicy after the long time - but the longer time is most important. Naturally your oven or grill should always be pre-heated.
    Most of the time I do them on the gas grill on low and I suspect that it is at a slightly higher temperature. The chickens should be completely thawed and the recipe actually calls for the chicken to be rubbed with the dry rub and kept in a plastic bag overnite to absorb the rub.
    The crockpot cooking is a similar type heat - if you use low. When I am using a crock pot - I generally start off at high, then reduce it to low, later, because you can't really preheat the crock pot.
    The danger to me would be if somebody tried to cook a frozen chicken at the lower temp. in any type of cooker or oven.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    I've also made the sticky chicken at 250°. After 5 hours it was done. I can see why some would be concerned, but it did work well for me. I had my folks and sisters over for supper that night, and everyone loved it and no one got sick. I guess it's a personal choice.
    False
    I wanted to pull this up again, because...well, it's too good not to.
    I can't count how many times I've made this now, and have NEVER gotten sick. Our government can be QUITE ridiculous when setting their "standards". When you travel to other countries, they actually laugh at us. For instance: Our health board says to cook pork chops to an internal temperature of 160º DEGREES!!!! Are they kidding??? You cook it til THAT and you might as well nail them to the bottoms of your SHOES!!! They started all that back when farmers would feed their hogs stuff we don't even want to THINK about. It caused pork to contain trichanosis. (sp?) And yet, trichanosis is killed at 138º degrees...but the government wanted to be "on the safe side" and have us eat SHOE LEATHER. We no longer even have trichanosis in the U.S. because of what farmers are allowed to feed hogs. I just watched Alton Brown cook PORK ribs in the oven at only 150-160º !! TRUST me that this recipe IS safe...I just do not believe everything the government says, do you?? Haha! This recipe has been made by literally 1,000's of people, and no one has gotten ill from it.
    False
    One last example:
    Eggs and salmonella...
    Only MAYBE 1 in every 20,000 eggs has "possibly" a SLIGHT TRACE of salmonella in it. The gov. says not to eat raw eggs...I've been making French Silk Chocolate Pie for more than 25 years...I'm at high risk with a low immune system...did I ever get sick?? Nooooo. Just don't believe everything you here. The gov. only supports manufactured DRUGS on TV for big bucks...
    False
    Sorry, just needed to vent a bit....
    False
    Pardon me, Alton Brown's was also at 250º degrees, but I could SEAR he said even lower, longer when i watched his show. My bad.
    False
    peacefulnightdove - I totally agree with your posts! I don't listen to half of what these so called know it alls tell us. These are the same goofs that approve drugs for market, then pull them off after people drop dead from taking them!

It all comes down to what each individual feels comfortable with. If the government inspectors were doing their jobs as they should, maybe we wouldn't have to worry about the meat and chicken we are cooking!

Arlene
    False
    EXACTLY, Arlene! And thank you!! And you are right about them not doing their jobs!!! Hamburger didn't contain e-coli til they started grinding up the intestines full of poop right on into hamburger. Makes me sick to even think about it! Why they are even allowed to do that is BEYOND me! I remember when I was a kid, at "fancy" restaurants, you could always order a burger cooked medium-rare. Now we can't. They go ahead and grind it all right in there, then tell us to be sure and cook it all the way. Yeah, cook the poop all the way to kill the bacteria they are putting into it!!Totally nasty! Shame on them!!
    Kelly
    False