Question: Why do my potatoes turn grey? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question: Why do my potatoes turn grey?

Last post May 31, 2005 1:34 PM by ponderosapollyON . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • Question: Why do my potatoes turn grey?
    This has happened twice now. When I boil potatoes to make potato salad. After I drain them, I placed them in a pyrex dish to cool before slicing. By the time I get to slicing them they have turned greyish around the edges and as they cool they turn more grey. It is really strange and never happened before now. Anybody have any ideas?
    False
  • RE: Question: Why do my potatoes turn grey?
    I had this info saved:

Potatoes occasionally turn gray or dark after they are boiled; this color change may be caused by the conditions under which they were grown or stored. It's impossible to tell which potatoes will turn dark, but the discoloration does not affect flavor, texture, or nutritional value. Contact with aluminum or iron will also discolor potatoes, so cook them in stainless steel pots. For the same reason, raw potatoes should not be cut with a carbon steel (nonstainless) knife. If exposed to air, peeled raw potatoes will also discolor. Cook the potatoes immediately in a pot of water that has already been brought to a boil. And if you are interrupted while preparing them, place them in a bowl of cold water, then add a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar. This trick will help to keep the potatoes white.

False
  • RE: Question: Why do my potatoes turn grey?
    thanks for the info! I was wondering what was in my water! I have always used taters my dad grows but they all sprouted so bought these at the store. Just goes to show you. Homegrown is the best.
    False