Old school cafeteria favorites | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Old school cafeteria favorites

Last post Jan 11, 2013 12:24 PM by latinrose . 94 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 7 (95 items) 12345Last >
  • Old school cafeteria favorites
    What were your faves ???

Post recipes if you have any ....
    False
  • RE: Old school cafeteria favorites
    tomato soup and grilled cheese, pizza burgers, creamed chicken!

Ah,memories!
    False
    I always like it when we had a Thanksgiving lunch. Turkey, dressing, mashed potaotes, greenbeans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin cake. I still like that lunch, luckily I work at my childrens school so I still get to enjoy it. LOL
    False
    Fried ground beef in gravy over sticky rice. I think I was the only one who liked sticky rice.LOL

Darlene
    False
    I always enjoyed the pizza burgers, Yum! As well as the fried burritos with chili and cheese. Those were fabulous!!!
    False
    Many, many, many years ago they use to serve mock chicken drumsticks. Don't know what they were but I sure liked them. Some kind of ground meat on a stick, then breaded and fired.

They sure were good then.

Toni
    False
    pizzas in rectangular shape, grilled cheese, and pizza burgers.
    False
    StiringCoffee, I am with you. I usually packed my lunch, but I always bought when they served the Thanksgivng Dinner! The dressing and rolls were so good. I used to love the rolls they made.

KY Kate
    False
    I, too, loved the rectangular pizza and those huge toffee bars cut in squares.
    False
    I loved the chili, peanut butter sandwiches, tuna bunsteads and the spaghetti. For dessert I loved their spice cake. In grade school I would it a kids spinach if they gave me their cake too. LOL No wonder I was a bit pudgy!
    False
    Toni, those mock chicken drumsticks I think are called city chicken. I think a recipe for it was posted on this board this week, but I don't remember who posted it. My favorite was something called Turkey in the Straw. It had noodles, turkey, carrots, peas, celery, probably onions and some type of either cream of chicken sauce or chicken gravy type thing. It was delicious. If anybody has the recipe, please post it.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

These are sooo good.

Posted by: foodguy Replies: 9 Posted on: 4/4/2005 10:26:06 AM
    #T499367
    Some of you had asked if I had any more of my Mom's recipes, other than the "School Chicken", from when she was a "Lunch Lady". Over the weekend I found another of her most popular recipes from school. Every Wednesday was "ice cream and cookie day, these being the dessert that came with the lunch. This was one of the favorites of the school lunch program. She cut this down to make for us at home, too. Thank you for letting me share these memories-as I've said, Mom, now 80, is an Alzheimer's patient. She loved working at the Cafeteria and seeing the children everyday. Many of them called her, "Grandma", which she just loved.

Peanut Butter Bars

1/2 cup (1 stick) margrine
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chocolate chips, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or spray with Pam a 9x13 pan.
    Combine flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
    In large bowl cream margarine, sugars and vanilla until light. Beat in peanut butter. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread mixture in prepared pan and smooth out as evenly as possible. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned, being careful not to over bake. Cool and cut into squares.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

I remember this one too.

Posted by: foodguy Replies: 13 Posted on: 3/16/2005 4:27:42 PM
    #T489869
    Hello friends! Years ago when my sisters and brother and I were young our mother was a school "Lunch Lady" One of our favorite cafeteria meals was Oven Baked Chicken, which we kids dubbed "School Chicken". Mom made it for us often at home-it was one of our favorites. I'm making it for dinner tonight and thought it might be fun to share.

School Chicken

4-5 lbs. cut up frying chicken, bone in, with skin
    1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
    Salt and pepper
    Garlic powder
    Paprika

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean chicken parts and pat dry. Melt butter. Brush bottom of shallow baking pan with melted butter. Place chicken parts on pan, skin side up-do not crowd. Brush chicken with butter, then sprinkle with salt, paeeper, garlic powder and Paprika. Bake 50-60 minutes until skin is nicely browned, skin is crispy and juices run clear.

I am serving this with Creamed Potatoes and Peas with Pearl Onions.

Thanks for letting me shar!

False

there have been threads of school cafeteria recipes. Try typing school cafeteria recipes into the search engine and see what happens. As I remember there was some good stuff on there.
    False

Of course, Noah and I went to school together --- LOL.

My fave has always been Lyonnaise Potatoes.

Anyone got a recipe?
    False
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.