The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky

Last post Jun 04, 2012 3:39 PM by yoyo1198 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky
    The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky

4 lb. Mutton
    1-3 lb. Chicken
    3/4 lb. Cabbage Ground or Chopped Fine
    3/4 lb. Onion Ground or Chopped Fine
    5 lb. Potatoes Peeled and Diced
    2-17 oz. Can Corn (we like Shoe Peg)
    or 2 Cups Fresh Corn
    3/4 Cup Tomato Catsup
    3-10 3/4 oz Can Tomato Puree
    Juice of One Lemon
    3/4 Cup Distilled Vinegar
    1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
    2 1/2 Tablespoons Salt (or more to taste)
    2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Cayenne (more if you like)
    Water

Boil mutton in enough water to cover. Cook until tender about 2-3 hours. Throw out the broth and bones. Chop meat fine. Set aside. Boil chicken in 2 gallons of water in large kettle until tender. Remove chicken, add potatoes, cabbage, onion, corn, catsup and one gallon of water to chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, chop chicken meat, discarding bones and skin. When potatoes are tender add chicken, mutton, lemon, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and puree. Let this simmer for two hours or longer, stirring often from the bottom as it thickens.

Yield: 3 Gallons Burgoo is often served with bread, but crackers or corn bread are also good with burgoo.
    False
  • RE: The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky
    Sorry I have to ask, but what is Mutton? You'd think by my age I'd know these things, but nope! Thanks.
    Deb
    False
    Lamb is young sheep, mutton is an older sheep.
    False
    i don't know how to make it, but i know what goes in it.........everything that doesn't make it across the road the day you cook it. LOL!
    False

Uh-oh, RRG! If my dad sees this, he'll make it! It's one of my two favorite burgoo places:)
    False
  • Re: The Burgoo Recipe (Moonlight Bar-b-q Inn) Kentucky

Short of making this myself, I just run over to Owensboro and buy a few jars.  Those of us that live close are so lucky to be able to do this.  This is the best burgoo in the world.  Thanks for the recipe though. 

When I was a kid, the family would have yearly reunions and this was the on the menu.  All of the men would put the burgoo together in one of those big iron pots and cook it on an outside fire.  The women just made the other 'fixins' and we'd make an all day affair out of it.  Good memories.

False
    IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/yoyo1198/Frostdragon.jpg[/IMG] Meddle not in the affairs of dragons. For thou art crunchy and would go well with ketchup.