Why When You Get Sick Cant You Taste Your Food???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why When You Get Sick Cant You Taste Your Food????

Last post Jun 26, 2005 6:41 PM by royalpita1ca . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Why When You Get Sick Cant You Taste Your Food????
    Anyone here know why you cant taste things when you are sick?????

I was reeaaallly sick Friday. Now I am semi-coherent. BUT I CANT TASTE OR SMELL ANYTHING YET! Waaahh~! I made bbq-d ribs that look to die for, lots of meat, perfectly done. BUT THEY TASTE LIKE NOTHING! Garlic chive mashed taters with super extra garlic are bland MUSH. My banana/vanilla wafer pudding is boring SLIME. I WANT TO TASTE MY DINNER! WAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
    False
  • RE: Why When You Get Sick Cant You Taste Your Food????
    I'm certainly no expert on this, but I've always thought it was because smell is a big part of taste, therefore, if you can't smell your food...you're not getting the full effect of the taste.....not sure if it's correct, but it's what I've always heard...

kim
    False
    You are correct, kimsonmerk, smell is a big part of our enjoyment of food.
    Many years ago my Father had about 100 polyps removed from his sinus cavity and could finally smell after about 30 years. Boy, did his tastes change! LOL! He didn't salt and pepper everything and complained a lot about smells and food until he readjusted to his experience. He still can't stand some smells.
    Hopefully you will soon regain your enjoyment of food!
    False
    hmm. makes sense. i was pretty congested. even tho i can actually breathe now, i suppose my head may still be a little stuffed up. but boy is it annoying! hopefully it will be better tomorrow in time for leftovers. :)
    False
    If you can't eat your dinner you can send it my way, It sounds delicious!!!
    I think the reason we can not smell or taste food when we are sick is because it is our bodies way of telling us to Stop Eatting. LOL
    Put some food aside and hurry up and get well so that you can eat it later.
    Denise
    False