??? Please help ~ What is the difference between Corn Pone and Corn Bread ??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

??? Please help ~ What is the difference between Corn Pone and Corn Bread ???

Last post Dec 26, 2006 9:25 AM by maincook . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • ??? Please help ~ What is the difference between Corn Pone and Corn Bread ???
    Different consistency? Different meals? Different parts of the country?

What makes one recipe better than another?
    False

• RE: ??? Please help ~ What is the difference between Corn Pone and Corn Bread ???
    Corn Pone is a heavy, very moist bread. I will post my Corn Pone recipe. We love it, it is my favorite corn bread.
    False
  • RE: ??? Please help ~ What is the difference between Corn Pone and Corn Bread ???
    I thought I had posted it previously. Here it is.

Posted by: maincook Replies: 7 Posted on: 1/11/2005 8:17:57 PM
    #T461354
    This is so good! Smear butter on the top and enjoy. Serve with fish, seafood or just because you want it. :)

Corn Pone

2-1/2 cups white cornmeal
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups milk
    4 cups water
    3 eggs, beaten
    dash salt
    1/2 stick butter (not margarine)

Mix all ingredients, except butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and stir in butter.

Pour in 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan that you have melted the 1/2 stick butter in.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Let cool 2 hours before cutting in squares.
    False

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Hope to try it soon.

Is there any difference in white and yellow cornmeal other than the color?

False

Thanks maincook...printed out the recipe. Will definitely give it a try.

During the early years of my marriage...about 30 some years ago..we've been married almost 36...we always went to his family's reunion...now we're West Virginians and back then I think corn pone was a bread made by the old folks most of the time, instead of regular cornbread. Anyway, there was one old aunt..that was her thing every reunion to bring. It just wasn't the same when she passed away, because no one else could make corn pone as good as she. I do think she made her's in an iron skillet, because I can remember it as round and 'heavy'...delish.

mountain mama
    False
    And btw...as I remember it, it was sweeter than most cornbreads.

mountain mama
    False
    Oh gosh, sorry to keep posting, but I meant to ask you, is this regular milk, not buttermilk you use?...

mountain mama
    False
    I'm glad the question was asked as I have always been curious too. Marlene
    False
    Dutchmom4, really, the difference is yellow cornmeal comes from yellow corn and white from white corn. Southern cooks have traditionally favored white cornmeal; from a cooking perspective there is not much difference between white and yellow, except that the latter contains more beta carotene.

Mountainmama, I use regular milk and it can be baked in a wrought iron pan instead of the rectangle one.
    False
    I forgot to add, refrigerate left overs, and rewarm in microwave. It is just as good warmed over as it is when it is made.
    False
    I appreciate your help and suggestions.
    False

Still have to try this recipe!

False

DD and SIL have a cabin on the Mississippi River in Illinois. She always serves this at their fishfrys. Sounds nearly identical to maincook's except it looks like she uses more butter and she ALWAYS bakes it in cast iron.

Ed

Corn Pone (Bread)

2 1/2 c white cornmeal
    4 c water
    2 c milk
    1 c sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    dash salt

1 stick butter, no substitutes, divided

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Divide butter in half, and cut each half into pieces

Melt pieces of 1/2 stick butter.

Pour into a 12” cast iron skillet (or a 9x13” pan.)

Mix remaining ingredients, except butter, in a saucepan.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.

Remove from heat.

Stir in remaining 1/2 stick butter pieces.

Pour into prepared skillet.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

Let cool at least 2 hours before cutting.

Refrigerate any leftovers.
    False
    Going to try this.
    False
    ]
    From Wikipedia

Cornbread or Johnny cake is a generic name for any number of quick breads containing cornmeal that are leavened chemically, rather than by yeast.

Corn pone is a type of cornbread, made of a thick, malleable dough made of cornmeal or hominy grits, shaped by hand and then baked or fried in butter, margarine, lard or bacon grease.
    False