ISO side dishes to go with chicken divan | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO side dishes to go with chicken divan

Last post Jul 09, 2005 7:13 PM by tancirmo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ISO side dishes to go with chicken divan
    Hi everybody...my brain isn't working today :) My son and dil are coming for dinner tomorrow and of all things they want they're craving chicken divan. I would prefer to grill but how can I deny them mom's chicken divan??? Any ideas what to serve with it? I usually fix it in the winter with potatoe, etc. Wish the tomato's were ready!!! Thanks for any ideas...nancy
    False
  • RE: ISO side dishes to go with chicken divan
    Walnut Jewel Salad (from the 70's)
    6 oz. strawberry gelatin
    1/2 t. salt
    2 c. boiling water
    1 can crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, or pineapple chunks (save juice)
    2 T. lemon juice
    cold water
    2/3 c. sliced fresh cranberries (I freeze extra at Thanksgiving and Christmas and slice them frozen as I need them)
    1/2 c. diced celery (original called for 1/4 c. celery)
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Dissolve gelatin and salt in boiling water. Drain pineapple. Combine pineapple juice, lemon juice, and enough cold water to make 1 2/3 cups water. Combine cold water mixture into hot mixture. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in all other ingredients. Chill until firm. This is a good salad. The strawberry jello keeps the cranberries from being too tart and I like the pretty colors and the crunch. I have tried it with cranberry jello, but did not like it as well.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Here is the one kathyf1 has posted quite a bit. I haven't tried it only because my DH hates raspberries.

Raspberry Jello Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 oz cream cheese -- softened
    2 small packages raspberry jello
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 cups hot water
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 can crushed pineapple -- (20 oz) drained
    1 tub cool whip -- (16 oz)

Dissolve jello in hot water with sugar. Add cream cheese and stir until
    blended. Chill until partly set. Add remaining ingredients and mix well
    (a hand beater on low works fine and so does a wire whisk) Pour into a
    large mold sprayed with Pam or into a large glass bowl. Refrigerate
    overnight. (if using mold unmold and serve)

This recipe is another family tradition for many years and is served at
    all holiday dinners and buffets. You can substitute any flavor of jello
    you wish (the strawberry is so good too) and the red color looks festive
    at Christmas time. This recipe can be molded or sets well in a large
    glass bowl as well. (looks pretty either way) this is a kids favorite
    too.
    Kathyf/Kathy

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Another choice would be a simple tossed salad (maybe lettuce, tomato, cucumbers or something similar in simplicity) and maybe some garlic bread or something easy like that!
    False

This is very good, and I think it's a good go-with for Chicken Divan.

Herb Rice
    Posted by: arelabs Replies: 4 Posted on: 1/17/2004 11:21:18 AM
    #T288202
    1/4 c butter or margarine
    1/4 c chives (chopped)
    1 T parsley (chopped)
    1/2 t Lawry's seasoned Salt
    Pinch oregano and thyme
    1/3 t pepper
    2 c rice (cooked)
    Melt better in skillet. Add all herbs and seasonings. Cook 2-3 minutes. Combine with rice and stir to blend in skillet. May be served at once or later in day after refrigeration. Sprinkle with paprika when serving, if desired.
    Note (I haven't tried this part: 1 1/2 recipe makes a nice amount for a ring mold, which may be refrigerated then set in a pan of water in oven to reheat at serving time. Unmold before serving.

Arlene
    False
    What about some fritters? Just type "fritters" in the blue box search and you can get alot. They are easy to make and I make apple or corn fritters often for a side. They also keep well... (p.s. I just pan fry stovetop, and just flip like a pancake, don't have to deep fry).
    False
    I make my Chicken Divan with rice and a side salad. It's a perfect time to serve with strawberries soaked in Grand Marnier for dessert!!

donnac
    False
    thanks everyone...love that idea of the strawberries yum...nice light ideas ...thanks again :)
    False