Recipe Ideas for leftover Mashed Potatoes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe Ideas for leftover Mashed Potatoes

Last post Jun 21, 2008 8:23 AM by troublecat . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Recipe Ideas for leftover Mashed Potatoes
    Could someone give me some ideas for leftover mashed potatoes? Or maybe a tried and true recipe of yours? Besides potato pancakes, please. That's usually the ONLY thing I do with leftover mashed 'taters and there's got to be other ways for me to use them.

Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Recipe Ideas for leftover Mashed Potatoes
    I don't know a whole lot of them. Here is one that my mom used to make, although this is actually a friend's recipe that tastes just like my moms as I lost my mom's recipe for this.

Potato Candy

The proportions sound off, but they are not. If you use less sugar or more potatoes, it will liquify and never set up.

1/2 c. leftover mashed potatoes
    2 lb. powdered sugar
    peanut butter

Combine potatoes and sugar. Blend well. It will sort of liquify at first, but will eventually get thick
    enough to roll out. Roll out and spread peanut butter over the top of the dough. Roll it up jelly roll style. Usually I end up with several rolls. You don't want them much bigger around than an inch or so. Chill them a little while, then slice. My mom used to make this at Christmas when I was a little girl and she used to add red or green food coloring to make the dough pink or green, but I don't know how much she used. Usually I put it in tins with waxed paper to separate the layers. In the summer you would probably want to keep it in the frig . My DH loves this and his nephew in NC requests it every year for his Christmas present.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

We like to add sour cream, a healthy dose of onion salt, and some shredded cheddar cheese. Then top with some Durkee fried onions, and bake until golden. Makes a nice side dish.

I also use leftover mashed potatoes as the base for potato soup. Just thin with milk. Add sauteed onions and celery. Toss in some ham cubes or bacon.
    (We like to add chunks of potatoes too. I just "bake" some in the microwave and then chunk up and throw into the soup).
    Season, heat and eat!

~Teri
    False

I add leftover mashed potatos to soup stock to give it a little "body". Stir a little of the stock into the potatos to thin them, then add to the pot. I also use them to make Shepard's Pie.
    False
    I add leftover mashed potatos to soup stock to give it a little "body". Stir a little of the stock into the potatos to thin them, then add to the pot. I also use them to make Shepard's Pie.
    False
    Wow, excellent ideas, thank you!
    False
    Linda, this is a traditional Swedish dish- Krap Kaker

3 3/4 cups mashed potatoes
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 beaten egg
    2 3/4 cups flour (more, if needed)
    10 1/2 slices bacon (I use a whole pk)
    2 med onions, diced
    1/4 tsp ground allspice

Fry bacon, onions, and allspice. Set aside. Mix potatoes, salt, egg, and flour to make a stiff dough. Roll out dough and cut into 6" to 8" squares. Put reserved mixture evenly into squares ( I tend to overfill, hee hee). Fold over and make a patty sealing edges firmly.
    Drop in salted boiling water and boil 5-8 minutes. Take out and cool; then boil again for 5 minutes.
    Serve with cream.

They next day ole timers fry them in butter and serve but I do that right away as I like them much better that way. Forget the cream stuff for me- just fry shortly after draining from the second boiling.

Seems like people either really like these or totally hate them.

~~ Carol ~~
    False
    I like to make potato cakes from the leftover mashed potatoes. Mush up the cold potatoes and stir in a beaten egg, some onion powder and some salt and pepper. Once in a while I add a little baking powder to kind of puff them up. Stir until well blended and brown in a skillet in a combination of oil and butter or bacon grease.

I have a really great recipe for a chocolate cake made with mashed potatoes, too. Makes a very moist cake. I'll hunt that up for you.
    False
    Chocolate Potato Cake

2 cups sugar
    1 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
    4 eggs
    1 cup warm unseasoned mashed potatoes
    1/2 cup cocoa
    2 cups flour
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup nuts, optional
    Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
    Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda.
    Stir mashed potatoes into sugar mixture.
    Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients.
    Stir in nuts, if desired.
    Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and frost.

Although it calls for unseasoned mashed potatoes, you can use them with salt/pepper and you'll never be able to tell it. This is a very moist chocolate cake.
    False
    I think my husband would go crazy over something like that. We're pretty health-conscious and so I'd probably either serve them boiled or 'fry' them in fat-free cooking spray.

Thanks!
    False
    Raised Potato Doughnuts

1 3/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup butter
    1 package active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon yeast
    3/4 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
    6 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup mashed potatoes
    3 eggs
    Fat for deep frying
    Confectioners sugar

Scald the milk and stir in butter until melted. Set aside to cool.
    Dissolve the yeast with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Sift together 6 cups of flour and salt, set aside. Combine the milk and yeast mixture and beat in 3/4 cup granulated sugar and mashed potatoes. Beat the eggs and stir them in, then gradually stir in the flour. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour if necessary to make a workable dough. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down and roll 1/2 inch thick on a floured cookie sheet. Let rise 1 hour. Cook in deep fat preheated to 375 degrees for 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar or dip in a powdered sugar glaze before serving. (Makes 30-36 doughnuts)
    False
    And thanks for the cake recipe too!
    False
    You're very welcome, Linda!
    False
    Excellent ideas and I appreciate them all. I'm saving all of them ;)
    False
    Lots of times I add chunks of ham, pieces of cheddar cheese, and a chopped onion and bake it together at 350° for about 30 minutes.
    False