ISO Funeral luncheon recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Funeral luncheon recipes

Last post Oct 29, 2007 7:12 AM by Alliea . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • ISO Funeral luncheon recipes
    Well, I have two more funerals to go to this week. One tomorrow, and one Friday. Both of these people were only 63 years old and I am so sad for their family's. I stated a thread awhile back about good things to take to luncheons after funerals, and thought you might want to add a recipe if you are new to the board or even if you have been here for awhile.Thanks so much!
    False
  • RE: ISO Funeral luncheon recipes
    False
    bump
    False
    I usually just take a meat and cheese tray with some rolls. Soda, cups and plates.

Sorry for your losses.
    Cherie
    False
    I am so sorry for your difficult week. I ususally take what we call Pea and Peanut Salad.

1 lb. frozen peas, run under cold water until no longer icey; a little frozen is OK
    10 to 12 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
    3/4 teasoon of onion powder; you can use minsed real onion if you like
    enough Miracle Whip salad dressing to hold it together
    1 cup dry roasted peanuts

Mix first four ingredients and refrigerate until time to serve. Just before serving stir in peanuts.
    False
    Can you either bump up that thread or post the link? I must have missed it.

Thanks...~kate~
    False
    I usually make things like egg salad, or chicken salad sandwiches, maybe ham and cheese. I always use a good breads, some wholegrain , some white, maybe some pumpernickle. I find that sandwiches are easy to eat which is best when people are grieving, but need to bring the blood sugar up after the service and going to the cemetary. I do make homemade mayonaise for the chicken and the egg salads.
    False
    at the ones here there is usually plenty of dessert. A lot of times I take a ten layer salad or something like that. When my mom died, our pastor's family got a big (like 4 foot)sub, potato and macaroni salad. That went over pretty well. Especially if it is in the summer and hot here. People don't eat hot things too well in the summer here. I have also done rolls, sliced ham or turkey and cheese, and potato salad.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

At our church, we provide the meat and buns for sandwiches. Family choses between cold ham, hot sliced roast beef, and shredded chicken. (usually 2 choices). Donations from family are accepted.

Members are asked to contribute sides and desserts - no sign up, but you do sign in with name and dish because families like to write thank you's (really - not mandatory, but most do).

At our church we just remodeled and put 2 islands in kitchen with multiple plugs for crock pots; we also keep food warm in oven or cold in frig until serving.

Lots of people bring potato dishes, lots bring desserts. Deviled eggs and veggie pizza are always popular. Usually one or two green bean casseroles. I usually do a corn or mixed veggie casserole. We are heavy on sandwiches potato and desserts.
    False
    Church Vegetable Casserole

1 lg pkg mixed veggies
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 container sour cream
    8 oz cheddar cheese
    1 can water chestnuts
    (adjust amounts or add some cream or milk for creamy casserole)

Mix and put in crock pot until bubbly.

If baking in oven - add crushed buttery cracker crumbs for last few minutes - or buttered bread crumbs until golden.
    False
    I went to a funeral for a friend's father at a small country church and the church ladies serve meat loaf. It was absolutely delicious. They put out 2 at a time and when one was gone - replaced it. I guess their meat loaf is their claim to fame and it was fabulous! (and unexpected)
    False
    For families I know, I keep a supply of styrofoam coolers (cheap ones, should be going on clearance soon). and fill them with pop and ice to drop them off. (maybe extra case of pop, too)

Saves room in their frig for food donations and they can serve drinks to the company. Friends tell me they can use the coolers to send leftovers home with family members after the dinner, too.
    False
    bump
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009