Potato water gravy | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Potato water gravy

Last post Jul 24, 2005 9:58 PM by mapanda . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Potato water gravy
    I keep hitting enter on the computer. Sorry.
    anyway I made fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and gravy with the water from the potatoes, my sil had never had gravy this way, has anyone else?
    False
  • RE: Potato water gravy
    I have never done this but would like to know how it turned out.
    False
    Yes, my mom always used the potato water for gravy, she usually only used part of the liquid as potato water, One thing she did a lot was use evaporated milk diluted with potato water, made a wonderful gravy, and part milk, part potato water whenever she fixed boiled or mashed potatoes she utilized the potato water this way. Very good tasting and you get the veggie and vitamin benefit from the potato water, I have also saved the potato water if I was going to make bread and used it in place of water called for in the recipe.
    False
    Oh yes.... this was the only way my mother ever made her gravy.
    I do it too... when I don't shortcut and use Instant Potatoes...LOL!!!
    False
    My Mom still does gravy this way. I don't because we don't eat potatoes. Carol
    False

Carol

I don't put milk in mine. I just add the flour to the chicken or pork chop grease and thicken then add the potato water and cook till thick as desired. Only if it is a little too thick do I add some milk.
    False
    I used to do this all the time, as it saved using so much milk. I did add milk to the potato water, or powdered milk. You cannot tell that is is made with potato water.

Margaret
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.

~~ I always use potato water. In fact, I made gravy with potato water today for Sunday dinner. ~~

:)
    False

My Mom always used the potato water, plus any water from the veggies. It adds so much taste to gravy, not to mention you aren't tossing the 'good stuff'. We both keep whatever water we have left, and freeze it for soup or an later gravy.
    False
    I always save the potato water, but I store it up for soup, whether it's pea soup, chicken soup or turkey soup.

Arlene
    False
    hi explain please...do you make gravy with pan grease using water potatoes are cooked in????
    False
    I have always used potato water to make gravy:)
    False
    I have never heard of this. I occasionally use the potato water for making bread. It makes the best bread in the world. I'll have to give the gravy a try. :)
    Tippytoes
    False
    In answer to budsmama, yes you use the grease that you use to cook chicken or porkchops. That is the only two meats that I have used the potato water. Drain off some of the grease and just use according to how much gravy you are making. Most of the time I either added milk to the potato water, or used instant milk if I had it. My family ate a lot of gravy made this way. For sausage gravy, I used regular milk, as I did not cook potatoes then.

Tippytoes, if you have never tried this, give it a try. You don't have to use as much milk, and it still tastes good.

Margaret
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.