substitute for clear jel | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

substitute for clear jel

Last post Sep 06, 2012 8:46 PM by JoanMcQ . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • substitute for clear jel
    can I substitute cornstarch for clear jel in a pie in the jar recipe? would it be ounce for ounce? I'd like to make peach pie in a jar today so thank you for your prompt reply. Yourmom.
    False
  • RE: substitute for clear jel
    go to the recipe board and ask this question. You'll get a quicker response. I would think you could but not sure.
    False
    What is Peach Pie in a Jar?
    False
    it is like apple pie in a jar. just put it in the search and it should come up. I didn't copy it because I don't know where to buy clear jel. Yourmom
    False
    What is clear jel?
    False
    Clear Gel is a modified corn starch used for thickening fruit pies. ... I never did find any.
    False

There are two kinds of Corn starch,

One is the regular, the other is the  modified cornstarch that will gel more clear than just cornstarch.
    That is  the Instant Clrea Gel that does not need cooking. It is the same thing that is in no-cook insrtant pudding. The only thing is the liquid better be in a blender running at slow speed (or liquid being whisked vigerously) while adding the starch or it will lump.
    You will most likely find both kinds of Corn starchl in larger cities over 15000 pop. f Clear Gel keeps indefinitely if stored in an air tight container. Withthis  instant you can make jelly, jam, salad dressing, pudding and many more thmgs. Or bake your pie crust, then cook your fruit and add instant Clear Gel and when cooled, add fruit to baked shell. (does not take as ong and creates less het than baking a full pie).
    If there is a distributor of food from
    "Allison's Pantry" in you area, they have instant Clear Gel in bulk. Some health food stores may also have it.
    Walton Feed of Idaho has it in 50 lbs bags.
    Grelo

False
    do you think I could use clear gel in glass containers to suspend cranberries in for wedding decorations for the table centerpieces?
    False
    I would use unflavored gelatin to suspend the cranberries.
    But why not make something they can eat after the wedding is over. Cook Jel-O and before it sets, add cranberries and let it get cold in jars.
    Again, gelatin may melt in a warm room. So why not try a small drinioing glass of clear gel and suspend some berries in it before it sets up. Instant will thicken right away but it takes 5-10 minutes to fully set.
    I would experiment witha small quantity. Add sugar and serve with whipped cream as dessert. Set-up clear gel doesnot have to be refrigerated for a few hours.
    Grelo
    False
    maybe knox? it is a clear jello?
    False
    I have used cornstarch to make canned pie filling and it does not work as well. The cornstarch breaks down in the canning process. I believe that King Arthur Flour sells clear jel on their web site. I buy it at an Amish grocery store. It is often used in Amish recipes, so if you have one in your area you might try there.
    False
    thank you. I did go to the website and it said that 8ounces would thicken three pies, so I think it will be too expensive for what I want it for. I wanted to use it to suspend cranberries in a tall vase for the tables at my daughter's wedding reception. Thank you everyone for your responses. Ruth
    False
  • Re: substitute for clear jel
    Want to substitute clear jel what would be comparable?
    False
  • Re: RE: substitute for clear jel

Alisonspantry.com

sells Clear Gel,

Waltonfeed.com also sells it in quantities up to a 50 lbs bag.(they also sell a cookbook how to use it, recipes range from freezer jam to gravy

It is a modified cornstarch which can be used COLD, it will thicken without cooking. All your instant (no cooking required) puddings are made with it. Same with some packages of salad dressing mixes and such. Bakeries have used it for many years, it's been available to the general publich for about 15 yrs. Some suprmarlets carry it, but not many since there is not a big demand for it..

You can substitute regular cornstarch, but sice some times regular corbstarch will not hold up when cooking for a longer time is required they specify Clear Ge   It will hold up, most likely that is why the recipe calls for Clear Gel.

PS. It beats me why folks call pie fillings "Apple Pie in a Jar" o" Peach Pie in a Jar", why not just call it what it is: Canned apple orp pie filing.

I do have to ask: you don't really put pie crust in with the fruit and can it?

I am NOT a pie baker,

False
  • Re: RE: substitute for clear jel

As far as suspending cranberries in a tall vase for the wedding....SoilMoist crystals might work for you...they'll look like chips of ice in the container...will be clear but 'lumpy'...you can get them in the garden section of most stores.

False