Cucumbers & onions in vinegar ? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cucumbers & onions in vinegar ?

Last post Sep 25, 2010 10:34 PM by dattsbeeX2 . 25 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 12
  • Cucumbers & onions in vinegar ?
    Probably a silly question, but I'm curious to know if you use white vinegar or cider vinegar? Do you think it really makes a difference?
    TIA
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
  • RE: Cucumbers & onions in vinegar ?
    I use either.
    False
    I like to use red wine vinegar.

Sandy
    False
    DH uses whatever I have in the pantry. Guess they are ok, I don't care for cukes and raw onions so that is dish.
    False
    My mom uses both in hers. I think that Cider gives it a little bit of a sweet taste to me. But hey either works great i just love eating them.

Kim Rodriquez
    False
    I use cider vinegar. A tip for those that do cukes this way. DH's late Grandma always made them in a jar instead of a bowl. She said it was easier to keep all of them in the vinegar mixture. She also used the vinegar mixture twice. Carol
    False

Carol

If anyone can't use the amount of sugar that it takes to make the cukes & onions, try using 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar. I can't tell the difference from the ones made with all sugar and the ones made with part Splenda and sugar.
    False
    GGma I use all Splenda. I can't tell any difference.

GGma I'm in north central Indiana just south of South Bend. Where are you? Carol
    False

Carol

Sugar? Who uses sugar? I never put sugar on my cucumbers and onions in vinegar. What am I missing?
    Tippy
    False
    I like the idea of the bottle/jar! I assume this is a cucumber sour cream type recipe...does anyone else soak their cukes and onion in salt water first? That's what my mom had done...I do the same...and for some reason...mom always used Mircle Whip and yes...cider vinager....

False
    Aquablue cucumbers can be done is just vinegar, water, and sugar or they can be done in mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Some people do them in a sour cream dressing also.

I sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumbers and onions. Let it set about 1/2 hour then rinse well. My Mom on the other hand makes a mixture of salt and water. Then she puts the sliced cucumbers and onions in that mix to soad for awhile. Carol
    False

Carol

We ate these growing up using my dad's homegrown cucumbers. My mom used either white or cider vinegar, depending on which she had on hand. She added sugar, too. I made them once and somehow didn't use the same proportions that my mom did...never tried to make them again. They just didn't taste right.
    False
    Could someone please post the recipe for cucumbers in sour cream? I used to make it, and loved it, but I don't remember how it was made.
    Thank you, Marie
    False

I use this recipe from my MIL. I use Splenda for myself and skim milk in place of some of the cream. You need some ½ and ½ to make the liquid thicken a little and I use white vinegar. I made just a half recipe for myself and the rest of the family gets the regular recipe. This has a sweet-sour taste.

CUCUMBERS IN CREAM

3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
    (I just peel as many as I need for a 2 qt. casserole)
    1 medium onion, sliced thinly
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 Tbspn. salt
    Half and half cream
    Pepper and salt to taste

Sprinkle salt over cucumbers and onions and let stand 2 hours. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Mix sugar and vinegar in a 2 cup measuring cup, stirring well with a fork. Add half and half cream to the mixture to equal 2 cups liquid. Stir well again. Pour cream mixture over rinsed and drained cucumbers and onions in a 2 quart dish. Stir, and cover. Refrigerate, serve cold, adding salt and pepper to taste.

This is good over cooked potatoes.

I remember eating this for a meal at my grandparents farm home. But, that was a really looooooong time ago.

Nancy Z.

False
    Thank you, Nancy, for your quick response. This recipe really sounds good, and just what I was looking for. I will make it soon!
    Marie
    False