Need hearty hot appetizer recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need hearty hot appetizer recipes

Last post Aug 02, 2005 3:11 PM by princessRN . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Need hearty hot appetizer recipes
    Hi everyone--Help!!

I need a hearty hot appetizer to serve at a bridal shower. I have most of the menu planned, I just need one more thing. I don't really want a dip, already have several. Meatballs are good, but I'm kind of tired of the grape jelly/chili sauce kind. Any ideas? Looking for something NEW!!:) Thanks, Gina
    False
  • RE: Need hearty hot appetizer recipes
    These are delish~!

REC & REV: Tomato & Mozzarella Bites, posted by jcz04, DELICIOUS APPETIZER, I mean it! :-)
    Posted by: Nancy_NJ Replies: 15 Posted on: 7/17/2005 2:16:22 PM
    #T543731
    These Tomato Mozzarella Bites are soooooo good! DH and I could'nt stop eating them. The next time I make them, I will make extra for us, LOL. I made them in the Athens Mini Fillo Shells and baked them for 10 minutes at 350°. I have one mini muffin pan but plan to buy a couple more so I can make more and more of these at once!
    Thank you Janie for posting this awesome appetizer!

Posted by: jcz04 Replies: 9 Posted on: 6/25/2005 6:05:16 AM
    #T534276
    Ingredients:
    1-1/2 cups seeded, peeled and chopped tomatoes
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp basil
    3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
    6 black olives(Kalamata) pitted and halved (I used sliced black olives)
    2 Tbs grated parm cheese.

Cook the tomatoes in the olive oil, Add the garlic and Basil. Remove from the heat. Place the Mozzarella in a seperate bowl and add the tomato mixture to the cheese. Place about 1 Tbs. in a pastry lined mini muffin shell.This will make 20-24 mini tarts. Top each one with a 1/2 slice of black olive and a sprinkle of parm cheese.Bake for 8 minutes if the tart shell is partially cooked or 10-15 minutes if the tart shell
    is not baked. Bake in a 375 degree oven.

* Athens Mini Fillo Shells are really good to use in this recipe it cuts time and each little shell is perfect. These packaged shells can be found in the freezer section, where frozen pie shells and puff pastry can be found. The box contains 15 baked shells. This will cut the baking time also to about 5-8 minutes( On this particular recipe) and I usually bake at 350.

* A splash of "Truffle Oil" right before serving just tops this great little appetizer off~Janie
    False
    This is always - always a huge hit. I got this recipe from my mom.

Hanky Panky
    1 lb. sausage
    1 lb. hamburger
    1-1 1/2 lb Velveeta
    2 tsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. oregano
    2 tsp. parsley
    1 loaf party bread (I like the Honeywheat, but mom used Rye)

Brown meats, drain and add remaining ingredients except bread. Mix well until melted through. Spread on the party bread and bake until bread is crispy.

Mixture can also be made ahead &/or frozen.

Enjoy - Carrie
    False
    I was skeptical about these until I tried them. They are fabulous!

Spinach Balls
    1 pkg (10oz ) frozen chopped spinach
    2 1/2 cups herb-seasoned suffing mix.
    1` med onion, finely chopped
    3 beaten eggs
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    6 T butter or oleo, melted
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder

Cook spinach according to package directions. Combine spinach with remaining
    ingredients in a large bowl. Shape into 1" balls. Place on an ungreased baking
    sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min or till very lightly browned. Balls can be
    made ahead and refrigerated overnight before baking. Yield about 4 doz.
    False
    Another good one!

IMPOSSIBLE SOUTHWESTERN PIE
    1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
    8 medium green onions, chopped
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/3 cup shredded Cheddar
    1/2 cup Bisquick
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup thick-and-chunky salsa
    2 eggs
    Additional thick-and-chunky salsa
    Heat oven to 400°. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Layer corn, onions and beans in pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese. Stir baking mix, milk, 1/2 cup salsa and the eggs until blended. Pour into pie plate. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Serve with salsa.
    Makes 6 servings
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase baking mix to 2/3 cup. Bake 40-45 min.
    False
    RE: NEED IDEAS PLEASE !!!!
    Posted by: cooknchic Posted on: 12/7/2004 10:20:10 AM
    #R4834391
    I would do the applesauce sausage bites posted by Karolin. It's awesome and gets rave reviews always. I always make it in the oven and then transfer to crockpot to keep warm. Just maybe triple it and use a 5qt. crockpot. I use the lil smokies.

Thanks, Karolin!

Amy

APPLESAUCE SAUSAGE BITES

Serve this in larger chunks as an entree or in smaller pieces for an appetizer. People will rave over this quick and easy dish! If desired, this can be made in the crockpot on low heat for 3 hours.

2 pounds smoked sausage or kielbasa or little smokies
    1 cup applesauce
    2/3 cup brown sugar
    1 small white onion, finely chopped

Cut sausage into desired size pieces. In a large baking dish, combine applesauce, brown sugar and onion. Stir in sausage and toss to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring once

False

I have a fabulous recipe for Swedish Meatballs in a DELICIOUS sour cream gravy. I need to get going right now, so I don't have time to type it out, but I'll be back sometime this evening. I'll post it then if you want...Sue
    False
    Bacon Cheese Cups
    6 ounces cream cheese
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons milk
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 green onions chopped
    1 (11-ounce) tube refrigerated biscuits flakey
    5 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled

Combine the first 3 ingredients, stir in cheese and onion. Seperate biscuits and pat into 5" circles press into greased muffin pans leaving a 1/4" border on top sprinkle evenly with half the bacon, and place 2TBLS cream cheese mixture on top. Bake at 375 for 22 mins, sprinkle with remaing bacon and slightly push in.
    False
    Bread Bowl Fondue
    6 ounces cream cheese
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons milk
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 green onions chopped
    1 (11-ounce) tube refrigerated biscuits flakey
    5 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled

Combine the first 3 ingredients, stir in cheese and onion. Seperate biscuits and pat into 5" circles press into greased muffin pans leaving a 1/4" border on top sprinkle evenly with half the bacon, and place 2TBLS cream cheese mixture on top. Bake at 375 for 22 mins, sprinkle with remaing bacon and slightly push in.
    False
    Sorry!
    1 round loaf bread
    2 3ounce packages cream cheese
    1 (8-ounce) bag multi-cheese shredded cheese
    8 ounces velveeta cheese
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped cooked ham
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Cut the top off of the bread and hollow out. Combine cream cheese and sour cream and stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into bread bowl. Wrap in 2 layer's of alum. foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour with top on. Unwrap and serve with bread and cracker's.
    False
    Gina, this is always a big hit wherever I take it. The original recipe called for 1 pound of mushrooms but I found that they are too salty with only 1 pound. So I now use 2 pounds of mushrooms with the stick of butter and Ranch dressing mix and they are just right.

Ranch Mushrooms

1 pound whole button mushrooms (I double this amount.)
    1 stick butter
    1 package dry Ranch Dressing mix

Put the mushrooms in the crockpot and sprinkle with the Ranch dressing mix. Melt the butter and pour it over the mushrooms. Cover and cook it for 3-1/2 to 4 hours on low. The mushrooms shrink a lot and get smaller the longer they cook. So I just cook them on high for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then turn them to warm. This works fine and there are never any leftovers. When I'm going to a large party, I double the recipe and use 4 pounds of button mushrooms, 2 stick of butter, and 2 packages of Ranch Dressing mix which just fills my largest crockpot. They always go first from the buffet table.

You mentioned that you're tired of the jelly/chili sauce on meatballs. I use equal amounts of yellow mustard and red currant jelly, then spice it up a little with Tabasco or chipotles in adobo sauce. I also use half meatballs and half cocktail weiners in the same pot. They help flavor each other. That also goes fast. For 1 pound of meatballs and 1 pound of cocktail weiners, I use 1 cup each of the mustard and currant jelly. Then just add the hot stuff and taste as you go to get the spiciness you want. Or you could omit the Tabasco and use pepper jelly with the mustard instead. Either way is a nice change.
    False
    how about this one~
    BURGUNDY MUSHROOMS

Recipe By :suzycreamcheese
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers Snacks
    Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 pounds Large Mushrooms Cleaned and Stems Trimmed
    1 1/2 cups butter
    1 quart burgundy wine (any)
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon dill seed
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 cups water
    3 beef boullion cubes
    3 chicken boullion cubes
    salt

Bring water and butter to a boil in large pot. Add remaining ingredients and return to boiling. Reduce to simmer. Simmer COVERED 5-6 hours. Remove cover and simmer for an additional 4 hours.

That's it! I think I ate two pounds that night! She said it smells wonderful all day while it's simmering too....

NOTE: Hi, I did the mushrooms in the crockpot and It worked fine, I cooked for 6 hours with the lid then took the lid off for the remainder. They were great. I did trim the stems but left some on. Everyone loved them and I plan on taking to a party this weekend doing them the same way.
    NOTES: Do you think these could be made one day and reheated the next?
    I did the first half of the cooking(with the lid on)one day and finished them the next with the lid off and that worked out really well for me. Rose

pegg
    False

pegg

Thanks for the great ideas. I will probably try the applesauce sausage bites and Gaudrey' mushrooms. Thanks everyone!
    Gina
    False