Ground Beef Casserole with Corn Bread Topping | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ground Beef Casserole with Corn Bread Topping

Last post Aug 09, 2005 2:54 PM by 41974 . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Ground Beef Casserole with Corn Bread Topping
    I was wondering if anyone would have a recipe for ground beef casserole with cornbread topping. My sister's mother-in-law use to make this casserole and she is now deceased and my sister can't find her recipe. It had ground beef, veg-all, chili powder and some other ingredients which I can't remember and then had a
    cornbread topping. It was so good and I have searched but, cannot find one close to it. If anyone could help me out I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
    Huggle
    False
  • RE: Ground Beef Casserole with Corn Bread Topping
    bump
    False
    Ground Beef casserole with cornbread topping

Yield: 6
    Ingredients
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon oregano, ground
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 cup nondairy creamer
    1 cup low cholesterol egg substitute
    3 cups Southern-style Cornbread, crumbled (see recipe)
    1/2 cup jalapeno peppers
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350° F.
    Brown ground beef with onion and bell pepper in a skillet over medium heat. Drain fat.
    Add salt, chili powder, cayenne, oregano and garlic powder. Stir to mix. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour beef mixture into dish.
    In a medium bowl, combine nondairy creamer and egg substitute. Stir in crumbled cornbread and jalapeno peppers until ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. Spoon over beef mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until cornbread topping is browned.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    Mexicali Spoon Bread Casserole
    Serving Size : 8

-----MEAT MIXTURE-----

1 1/2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
    1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper -- Chopped
    15 ounces Tomato Sauce -- 1 Cn
    1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
    1/8 teaspoon Pepper
    1 cup Onion; Chopped -- 1 Lg
    1 each Clove Garlic -- Minced
    12 ounces Whole Kernel Corn -- 1 Cn
    Chili Powder -- To Taste
    1/2 cup Ripe Olives -- Sliced
    -----CORNMEAL TOPPING-----

1 1/2 cups Milk
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    2 each Eggs; Lg -- Beaten
    1/2 cup Yellow Cornmeal
    3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese -- Shredded

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cook and stir the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic in a large skillet until the onion is tender and the meat is browned. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomato sauce, UNDRAINED corn, 1 1/2 ts salt, the chili powder, pepper and olives. Heat to boiling then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, while preparing the cornmeal topping. Mix the milk, cornmeal and 1/2 ts salt in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat just until the mixture boils. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and eggs.
    Turn the hot meat mixture into an ungreased 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole. Immediately pour the topping onto the meat mixture.
    Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the topping comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Serve hot.

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    could it be tamale pie???...many put the cornmeal crust on top....I don't.

here's my recipe....just in case..LOL

in a 2 quart sauce pan-
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup cold water

stir and add:
    1 1/2 cups boiling water

stir and cook over low heat till thick and bubbly....spread in a greased 9 X 11 baking dish, up the sides too, set aside...

in a skillet-
    1 pound ground beef, brown and drain add:
    1 15oz can stewed tomatoes
    1 cup corn kernels (I use frozen)
    1 small onion, diced
    1 small can of sliced olives
    chili powder to your taste, I use about 3 teaspoons

cook about 5 minutes and pour over crust and top with shredded cheddar or jack cheese and bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

My MIL used to make one as well. This is from memory and I hope it is correct. I never wrote the recipe down.

Ground Beef & Corn Bread Bake

Mix one lg. can of veg-all(drained) with 1 can of tomato sauce(not small, the next size up from the small) or tomato soup, desired seasonings, one pound ground beef, cooked and drained. Put in 9-10 inch heated and lightly greased cast iron skillet. Make a corn bread batter and pour over top. I use 1 cup self rising white corn meal with one egg and enough buttermilk to make a thick dough. Pour over crust and bake until top is browned at 400 degrees. I have also made this with cream of mushroom soup instead of tomato soup.

Let me know if you try it and how it comes out.

~Muril~
    False
    Thank you all for the recipes I am so glad I found this site I have used it a couple of times before and the responses I get are so fast and helpful. I think I am going to have to try each recipe. I will let you know how they turn out. Thanks again.

Huggle
    False
    Swtcakes just wanted to let you know I made your recipe and it turned out great. My husband and myself really enjoyed it. Thanks again.

Huggle
    False
    bump
    False
    CORN BREAD TACO BAKE

1 ½ lb. ground beef
    1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
    1 pkg. taco seasoning
    1 pkg. (8 ½ oz.) corn muffin mix
    ½ cup water
    1 can (2.8 oz.) Durkee French Fried Onions
    1 can (12 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
    1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    ½ cup chopped green pepper

In skillet, brown meat; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, water, corn, green pepper and tomato sauce. Pour into 2 quart casserole. In a separate bowl, prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions except add ½ can Durkee French Fried Onions. Spoon corn muffin mixture around outer edge of casserole. Bake, uncovered at 400F for 20 minutes. Top corn bread with cheese and remaining onions; bake 2 to 3 minutes longer.
    False
    SKILLET TAMALE PIE

1 lb. ground beef
    1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans with liquid
    ½ cup water
    1 (1.25 oz.) packet regular mild taco seasoning mix
    1 (8 oz.) package cornbread mix
    1 cup shredded cheddar or monetary jack cheese
    ¼ cup sliced scallions or jalapeno peppers

Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium high. Crumble and add the ground beef to the skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain. Mix in the tomato sauce, beans with liquid, water and taco seasoning mix. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare cornbread mix according to package directions for muffins. Drop small spoonfuls of muffin batter over meat mixture in skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until cornbread is done. (Test by sticking a toothpick in center of muffin. If it comes out clean, it is done.) Top with cheese and scallions or peppers. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until cheese melts.
    False
    Thanks Huggle, I am making it tonight. It is one of those easy comfort foods. Yum!
    ~Muril~
    False
    bump
    False