How to Reseason your Non-Stick Pans (also posted under cookware) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to Reseason your Non-Stick Pans (also posted under cookware)

Last post Aug 20, 2005 2:37 PM by GrandmaCookN . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • How to Reseason your Non-Stick Pans (also posted under cookware)
    I was having trouble with my non-stick TOH cookware. I called the company and they told me how to reseason them.

First you take bar keepers friend or softscrub and really scrub down the pan. Let dry good. Then lightly coat with olive oil or canola oil. You can use vegetable oil if you have to, but they recommend the first two I mentioned.

Don't ever use a non-stick cooking spray on them. Make a squirt bottle with your canola oil or your olive oil if you need a little oil.

I'm doing all my non-stick pans today.
    False
  • RE: How to Reseason your Non-Stick Pans (also posted under cookware)
    Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will come in handy for many of us!!
    False
    ;-)
    False
    I was wondering what had happen to my pan I will do this today
    False
    I've posted several time about having to keep non stick pans seasoned. Too many good pans are thrown out as not any good because the eggs stuck to the pan. When the pan was new it was impregnated with oil, over time the oil gets leached away leaving the non stick parched. Non stick has to be kept moisturized to perform like new each time.
    False
    I'm sure glad I know about this now. I've got all of mine done. I guess I've missed your post.
    False
    Would you please let us know if it worked? I have several T-Fal that are sticking so will wait for your response. BTW, do you spray them each time you use them after the scrubbing?
    Thanks! Tam
    False
    I have done mine. I rubbed the oil into the pans.

I have a spray bottle with canola oil that I'll use when I need a little oil in the pan.

I'll let you know if the non-stick is working better after I've tried it.
    False
    I've copied this as I have a couple of pans that need some help. Thanks.

Also a point you made is very important. Do not use non stick cooking spray on your pans. It contains alcohol and leaves a gummy residue on the pans. I have DoughMaker baking pans. All of their pans are labeled with a warning about non stick cooking spray.

Again thanks. Carol
    False

Carol

Thanks Candykisses. I use Barkeepers Friend on a lot of things including my non stick pans. But thanks for the reminder it's time to reseason. I need to do all of mine and I have gotten a little lazy about it, even though I have them hanging on a rack over my island where I see and use them every day. ;-)
    False
    If you're talking about teflon--just toss the pans and get stainless steel or cast iron.

Teflon and other similar products are extremely dangerous--they're carcinogens, the fumes from heating a teflon pan will kill a pet bird if there's one in the home, teflon can cause incredible birth defects to the children of people who work in the plants where it's used. As a matter of fact, workers in teflon plants are required by Osha to wear respirators that pump clean, outside air to them (teflon contaminated air cannot even be filtered for their use). The govt has kept this info from us for years, but it's slowly dribbling out now. You don't have to believe me, do a search about the dangers of teflon and you'll have no trouble finding out what I'm talking about.

If you care about your family, don't cook their food on a known carcinogen.
    False
    The brown Teflon coating from years ago is very bad for you once it starts to fleck and peel. The new quality non stick surface is not sprayed on and won't fleck or peel but will scratch. I wouldn't use a cheap non stick sprayed on coating pan except for a few times, like camping and then toss it.
    False
    It's the material that's dangerous, not the method. I have a family member who works with metals--he won't allow any teflon, old or new, in his home, because he knows the dangers. But do suit yourself.
    False
    I thought I'd let you know, that reseasoning my non-stick pans really helped.

I made pancakes on one today and another cooked lite sausage and eggs and they did fine.
    False
    roselle
    I am taking what you said seriously. Thank you for the information.
    False