HELP, how do I prepare dried prunes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP, how do I prepare dried prunes?

Last post Aug 27, 2005 7:30 AM by Allspice_Mo . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • HELP, how do I prepare dried prunes?
    O.K. This is my problem,,,,I live in Nevada but have come to stay with my Mom in Minnesota because she was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) and the docs say she has less than 3 months. And I will be staying here until she passes. Thank the Lord above that that time has already passed. And all her blood levels are in the normal ranges as of this past friday. Her doc told her that it`s nothing short of a miracle. :-)
    Anyway, we don`t know if it`s caused by one of her, it seems like a million meds she`s on but she hasn`t had a bowel movement in, this is her 6th day now. And she WAS going to eat some dried prunes to help move things along but they are to hard for her to eat because, from the Lukemia, she has sores in her mouth and she can`t eat anything hard. So we were thinking of bringing the dried prunes to a boil in just regular water and letting them soak until they get soft enough to eat. Thing is, we`re not sure if that is the correct way to do it. DO we bring them to a boil in just regular water? Then just take them off the burner and let them soak just on top of the stove with a lid on the pan until they`re soft? And how long should we let them soak? Should we let them boil for longer than just bringing them to a boil? And she doesn`t like things "spiced up" so they`re sweet or anything. She just wants plain old prunes soft enough to eat.
    You don`t know how much I would appreciate any help. I just know that SOMEONE here will know how to prepare dried prunes so they get soft.
    Oh, I just looked on the canister and they are actually called Dried Plums and under that it says Pitted Prunes.
    I sorta need info asap. Purty Please :-)
    Cat
    False
  • RE: HELP, how do I prepare dried prunes?
    You can just get prune juice, but if want to used dried prunes,bring to a boil and let sit til soft. If the skin is too hard to swallow, put into a blender or a Cuisinart and puree a bit. Hope that helps. You could give her a suppository if needed.(not a prune one)
    False
    Bring the water to a boil (enough to cover the prunes) put the prunes in the water and cover. let stand until rehydrated. You have all the right ideas. I would say about a half an hour would work, but it depends on how soft you want them. Dried plums are in fact prunes. If nothing else try some prune juice. Hope this helps!

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Reconstituting prunes: To plump prunes, measure the fruit and combine it with an equal amount of liquid in a small saucepan. Simmer, but don't boil the prunes, or the skins may split. Cooking time: seven to 10 minutes.

To soften prunes in the microwave, sprinkle them with fruit juice, cover, and cook at 100% power. Cooking time: two minutes.

To plump the fruit overnight, place the prunes in a heatproof bowl and add boiling liquid to cover. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until needed.

False
    Haven't had these in a long time but yes prunes are dried plums. The name was changed last year because of the reputation of prunes.

My Mom would cook dried fruit in the winter when I was young. We did not have the fruit choices we now have. It would be apples, canned fruit or dried fruit. No chance of fresh fruit in winter.

Seems to me she brought it to a boil & just let it set awhile to soften the fruit. Just cover the fruit with water. Mom used to do this with mixed dried fruit. No just prunes. She would use prunes or the mixed. And then refrigerate. She may need fiber. Oatmeal is high in fiber too & that would be soft to eat. They also used to sell prune juice which she could drink but that wouldn't have the fiber.

False

Diane

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. My mom said to say thank you to. It`s late but I am off to boil some prunes.
    Thanks so much again.

Cathy
    False
    First of all, God bless you BIG time for taking care of your Mom. I did that too. Yes you boil the prunes until they are tender. Let her drink the juice that is left too. Have you tried Raisin Bran cereal? It just worked for my neighbor who recently had surgery.

My mom used to make prunes and noodles. You probably have never heard of this but it is one of my favorite dishes. Cook the prunes and in a separate pan cook the noodles according to package directions. When done, combine the prunes and noodles and add about 1/2 stick oleo; stir and enjoy. yummy, yummy! Wish I had some now.
    False
    (((Cathy))), I hope if I'm ever in your mom's position, that my daughter will be as caring as you! Glad your mom has already gone past the time they gave her & hope she continues to do well.

A friend gave me a recipe one time for a prune whip that was good, however, what I like even better was just to cook the prunes to pratically mush, chill, & mix with cool whip. It was so light & fluffy & tasted wonderful! I would think that would go down even better for her. And it was so good I had for FORCE myself to stop eating or I was going to have a MAJOR problem!

Good luck & praying your mom's "miracle" continues!
    False
    You are in our Nebraska prayers....
    False
    I fix dried prunes often and all I do is put them in a jar, cover with hot water let set on the counter awhile and then refrigerate, then we just eat them as desired. Very good!!
    False