Recipe: Vegetable Chowder | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Recipe: Vegetable Chowder

Last post Jan 17, 2004 12:01 AM by Jaxon . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Recipe: Vegetable Chowder
    This got 57 5-star reviews over on Allrecipes.com. It also has 16 grams protein and 16 grams carb, (although the cheese gives it 23 grams of fat) so would be good on the carb diets.

Vegetable Chowder
    Quick, easy, and verrrry good. Vegetable bouillon cubes,
    substituted for the chicken, will make this a vegetarian delight.
    Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 35
    Minutes. Ready in: approx. 50 Minutes. Makes 6 - 8 servings.
    Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by R.A.Kushner
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup margarine
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup cauliflower, chopped
    1 cup diced carrots
    1 cup fresh chopped broccoli
    3 cups water
    3 cubes chicken bouillon
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    1 1/2 cups milk

Directions
    1 In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the pepper and
    onions in butter or margarine until tender.
    2 Add remaining vegetables, water, bouillon, salt, and
    pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer covered for 20
    minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
    3 Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan.
    Bring soup to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Mix in
    the parsley. Just before serving, stir in the cheese
    until melted.
    False
  • RE: Recipe: Vegetable Chowder
    bumpity bump bump.
    False
    Well.... we love veggies and we love chowder. Sounds like a keeper to me! Thanks for sharing.

Cherie in GA
    False
    Hi Cherie, you're a good cook, maybe you can help me out here. I am going to make this, but I'm trying to cut carbs. Do you think I could cut the flour and milk in half and still have enough thickening power for the soup?
    False
    Thanks for the compliment... I only wish I had enough time to cook more. What I've done to thicken soup on weight watchers is to puree a big batch of the cauliflower. Thickens it pretty good. I do think I would still use 1/2 the flour and milk. Good luck on your losses!

Cherie
    False
    Sounds terrific!!! =)
    False

Sounds great...thanks for posting! Just copied it and am going to try ASAP.

False
    Jaxon I got this in my email but thank you so much for posting it. It sounds like a great comfort food.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

Thanks BJ, I thought it sounded like a good way to get your veggies. But I am trying to figure ways to cut a bit of the fat and a few of the carbs as I was saying to Cherie. I plan to buy that 2% milk cheese, that's as low fat as I can go on the cheese end, but I agree with you. This should be a warm your belly on cold winter days comfort food.

If anyone makes this I hope they'll share their tips.
    False
    Jiminy, making my grocery list and just now saw the 1/4 cup margarine. Cutting that in half too! Well, when I get through with it this soup may not even be recognizable. I bet made as is tastes so rich and delicious!
    False
    Jaxon if you're making it soon with all your changes you'll have to post a review. How are you doing on your diet? I keep thinking of you and wishing you well.
    BJ
    False

Thanks Bonnie, keep sending those wishes my way, I need all the help I can get! I want to lose 20 pounds and I just can't put it off any longer. The pounds have crept up on me in the last few years, and then I found the BB, started baking sweets like a fiend and the last six hit pretty quick! Emergency time!!!

Actually I did pretty well this last two weeks, except for last night when I went insane for a minute! Now I'm bloated up like a poisoned pup and feel terrible. That'll teach me!

I'm going to make this soup tomorrow, I think I can pull out some of the butter and flour without changing the taste too much, don't you think? Cheese is allowed on my diet, but they recommend the fat free. Not at my house! That stuff isn't even cheese. I'll post a review if it's edible when I get through tinkering. Take care!

False
    I wish you well Jaxon and good luck in you tough journey. I will trust your judgement on the soup. I know it's hard for the hurdles. I face just the opposite. I'm trying to gain weight and nothing works. I eat my brains out and I still can't gain. The only thing to come out of it all is after I went to the Dr to see why I couldn't gain weight my tests came back that I have zero LDL (bad cholesterol). That is good but we still don't know why I can't gain weight. So I'm not making light of the putting on weight problem I just wish someone could help me learn how to put it on. So please let me know about the soup because I will definitely try it with all the fat. lol. But good luck to you I will keep my good vibes coming your way.
    BJ
    False

bump
    False

Can't gain weight? I'm sure you've heard people say they wish they had YOUR problem a million times but I know being too thin can be just as embarrassing as too heavy. Still.......LOL! I would have a really good time loading up on all those fattening carbs just to see if they could put some pounds on me.
    False