DRY Cole Slaw Mix in a jar | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

DRY Cole Slaw Mix in a jar

Last post Sep 20, 2005 6:17 PM by Darvr . 38 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 123
  • DRY Cole Slaw Mix in a jar
    For several years I had purchased a tasty DRY Cole Slaw Dressing mix (Mennonite/Amish store) where, in addition to 3 Tbs. of this (pre-mix)you only had to add the mayo, sugar & vinegar and then add to your shredded cabbage (or cole slaw veggies). I do recognize some miniscule freeze-dried carrots, minced onion, celery seed and more ingredients that I don't recognize.

This is so nice as it can simply sit on your pantry shelf, or take along camping, until it is needed and you can make LOTS of batches with the 1 pint jar of the pre-mixed ingredients.

Is there anyone out there who also has a recipe similar to this and can help me?

P.S. This may also make a nice Christmas gift too as we've all heard of Brownies, Cookies and/or Cakes in a Jar!
    False
  • RE: DRY Cole Slaw Mix in a jar
    this sounds like something I would be interested i so I'll BUMP.
    False
    Still wondering if there is anyone out there to help me. This is harvest time and I've got LARGE cabbages waiting!
    False
    bump
    False
    I found this one.
    BJ

MARNIE'S COLESLAW SPICE MIX

Yield: 1/3 cup dry mix

* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
    * Sprinkle of pepper

Combine sugar, salt, celery salt, onion powder, mustard and pepper. Store indefinitely in an airtight container at room temperature.

To make coleslaw: Mix 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons dry mix, 2 tablespoons water and 1/3 cup regular, low-fat or fat-free mayonnaise. Pour mixture over 4 cups shredded cabbage and stir well. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

Homemade Gourmet has a dry coleslaw dressing mix. You can go to their website to find a distributor in your area. www.homemadegourmet.com
    False
    False

Just wondering if she saw this.
    BJ
    False

BJ, the recipe you posted sounds great. I'll give it a try.
    Chefly
    False
    Thanks chefly. Don't you just hate it when you go all out for people and they don't even acknowledge that they got a response. I checked all over the internet for this one. BUT I did copy for myself too. LOL.
    BJ
    False

Bumping for you, plus a warm welcome to the BB from Olathe, KS. :)
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Sorry about the non-reply BJ but I was unable to get back to my computer - have a 95-1/2 yr. old mother newly living with us - takes a bit of schedule (life) altering.

Your (Marnie's) looks like it would be worth trying. I just made up another batch of cole slaw with the LAST of what I had on hand and was looking for something I could make up myself.
    False
    Darvr, you're welcome. I will keep looking. I got out all my Amish cookbooks but none of them had anything. I was trying to find something with the dehydrated veggies you were talking about. I'll look again after I get back from grocery shopping.
    BJ
    False

BJ, Thank you for your interest and time in looking.
    I really thought that this idea of a "pre-mix" slaw dressing was a neat idea to have on hand! I've tried, last resort, the bottle dressings and they were a poor excuse for wasted money - even though I had good referrals from people - they were still bad tasting.
    False
    Darvr, sorry, I have looked all over the web and can't find anything else. Her name crops up all over the place but that's it. Good luck in your search.
    BJ
    False