Green bananas won't ripen! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Green bananas won't ripen!

Last post Sep 02, 2005 3:56 PM by JoRose_FL . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Green bananas won't ripen!
    I bought bananas last Friday (a week ago). I bought some that were almost yellow and I bought 4 that were totally green. The ones that were almost yellow ripened and we ate them, but the green ones are still as green as the day I bought them. It doesn't look as though they will ever ripen at all. I remember this happening a year or two ago when I bought green bananas and they rotted before they got yellow. Do you think they were just picked too early or what is the problem?
    False
  • RE: Green bananas won't ripen!
    I have had that happen too. Hope you get an answer. Maybe putting them in a brown paper bag will help? I know I now buy bananas that have a least some sign of yellow. Marlene
    False
    We have had this happen too. The skin is still green, but some of ours have still developed the brown flecks when overripe. Try peeling one of the green bananas and see if it did ripen, but the skin didn't turn yellow. We found that is what happened to ours. It is weird.
    chefly
    False
    You know, the green bananas were off to the side from the other ones and there was a sign over them saying "green bananas". I wonder if it is a separate kind that doesn't get yellow. Chefly, I just tried to peel one, and it was very difficult to peel and the inside is hard as a rock. So obviously it is not ripe. Could it be a certain kind that is made for cooking or something?
    False
    My daughter worked in the produce section of a local grocery store and she told me that bananas that are really green will never ripen. I don't remember why but, I no longer buy them. Hope this helps.
    False
    Here's some info on bananas from:

wholehealthmd.com

Bananas that require further ripening should be left at room temperature, but away from heat or direct sun. To speed ripening, place them in a loosely closed paper bag. Putting an apple in the bag will further speed the process. Once ripened to your liking, bananas can be held at room temperature for a day or two. Then, you can store them in the refrigerator to slow down ripening; although the skins will turn dark, the fruits will remain perfectly edible. You can keep refrigerated bananas for up to two weeks. But never refrigerate unripe bananas: The exposure to cold interrupts their ripening cycle, and it will not resume even if the fruits are returned to room temperature.
    False
    They aren't plantains, are they? Just a thought!
    False

Kay Click for Winthrop, Minnesota Forecast

KC_10, no they are definitely bananas, not plaintains. Cold Feet, thanks for the info. I wonder if maybe they were stored improperly at too cold a temperature either in transit or in the store. I'm sure they will not ripen..it has been a whole week and they have not changed color even a little bit, and as I said, they are hard as a rock. Guess I'll just toss them and never buy them that green again. I'm also gonna ask the produce manager at Publix about it next time I shop. Thanx all for your replies.
    :o)
    False
    Are they very large, like plantains? If not, you could do what I did. I actually had a recipe that said to cut green bananas (with the skins on) into chunks and boil them like potatoes. Peel and serve with butter. They do taste a lot like potatoes with a slight banana flavor. We liked the uniqueness of the flavor and texture. If they peel, you could also slice them, then fry them and either sprinkle with salt or cinnamon and sugar. It is better to try using them then throwing them out.
    chefly
    False
    Well Chefly, that is very interesting. I didn't throw them away yet, so I think I will try boiling them and putting butter on. You are right; I would rather try to use them than to throw them away. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how they turn out.
    :o)
    False