Do you need a special "Canning Pot" to process your jars? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Do you need a special "Canning Pot" to process your jars?

Last post Sep 04, 2005 9:14 AM by _FOOTSIE . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Do you need a special "Canning Pot" to process your jars?
    Or could I use my 16 quart stock pot with a tray in the bottom?

Do you think I should just go out and buy a canning set? Or will this be ok?

Thanks for your help. I want to make some of Footies Peach Jam, and my peaches are perfect right now. Now all I need to know about is the pot to use.

Thanks.

~Lori~
    False
  • RE: Do you need a special
    You don't need a special canning pot. Yours will work fine. A special canning pot with the insert will just make it more easy and convenient. I use my biggest stockpot when I can.
    False
    I just use a stockpot and nest the jars in dish towels or dish cloths so they don't rattle around. Has worked fine so far. But I only do pickles. I wouldn't process anything low-acid in a water-bath--for that you need a pressure canner.
    False
    i have used my steamer canner for years it works great dont need alot of water in it only about one quart it makes canning so easy i do everything in it i bought it thru gurney seed catalog and love it
    ewak
    False
    Oh ok, thanks for the info.

~Lori~
    False
    I've never canned before would I need something special to can pineapple pepper jelly? I want to try the one without the vinegar. Will that make a difference?
    False
    i have a waterbath canner that came with a rack, but it's really too big so i just use my stockpots. i put the rings to the jars on the bottom of the pot and set the jars on the rings. i've also put a dishtowel in the bottom of the pots.

sniggum, i posted a pineapple pepper jelly recipe without vinegar. tastes great and uses a water bath canning method.
    False

This isn't from the magazine either but it's awesome and it doesn't use vinegar!

Posted on BearFoot Cookin' by Jerbear:

I modified a recipe I had (called for vinegar and green peppers, had to throw it out it tasted so bad, still having flashbacks :rofl: this is good on crackers with cream cheese.

I made mine with red bells:

Pepper Jelly (or jam)

2 medium sized red bell peppers
    6 hot chili peppers
    1 1/2 cups apple juice
    6 cups sugar
    6 oz (two envelopes) liquid pectin

Remove stems and seeds from bell peppers. Grind in food processor until liquified (should be about 3/4 cup), and put in heavy saucepan. Grind hot chilis the same way and put in pan with bell peppers (I removed the seeds of some of the chilis to make it milder, adjust to your taste). Add juice and sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add pectin and stir until well blended. Bring back to a full rolling boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim foam with a metal spoon. Ladle into hot jars and seal. Process in BWB for 10 minutes.

Pineapple Pepper Jelly

use same recipe as above replacing red bell peppers with yellow bell peppers and apple juice with pineapple juice.

False