Best way to cook fresh green beans? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Best way to cook fresh green beans?

Last post Sep 07, 2005 9:08 AM by M_Wolverine . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Best way to cook fresh green beans?
    My fil just gave me about a quart or more of green beans he picked from his garden. I was thinking about putting them in the crockpot with some country ham that I have in the freezer. Is that a good way to cook them? Last time I cooked some they didn't have any flavor.
    False
  • RE: Best way to cook fresh green beans?
    Posted by: suzycreamcheese_MI Replies: 34 Posted on: 3/11/2004 6:53:06 AM
    #T317883
    These were the tastiest fresh green beans I've found so far! I didn't have a whole pound, but made it according to the recipe anyway.

Wonderful, Richard, thank you!

Posted by: Hadaplan
    Posted on: 3/5/2004 8:14:36 AM
    #T314724
    In Pendleton, Oregon (where they make the shirts and blankets) there is a restaurant called "Stetson's House of Prime". They specialize in steaks and prime rib, but also feature salmon, halibut, oysters and pasta. Their side-dish of green beans is really good. You should try this recipe at least once.

Use fresh green beans if you possibly can. Otherwise, you can use high-quality canned green beans (not all markets carry the really good ones). Fresh beans are better for this recipe. This recipe makes 4-6 side dishes.

Stetson Steakhouse Green Beans

4 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 1.1-ounce envelope of au jus mix

3 cups water

1 tablespoon garlic powder

¾ teaspoon black pepper

Pinch white pepper

2 14.5-ounce cans whole green beans, drined, or 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed

In a large frying pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving drippings. When the bacon is cool, crumble and set aside.

In a large saucepan add au jus mix, water, garlic powder and peppers and the bacon drippings. Stir well and bring to a boil. Add green beans and heat for 3 or 4 minutes if using canned green beans. If using fresh green beans, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Served with topped bacon.

False

Thank you, that sounds really good!
    False
    Here's another way to cook fresh green beans in the CP.

Ham & Vegetables

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up
    1 lb. green beans, cut up
    1 1/2 c. water
    1/2 t. salt
    1 lb. lean cooked ham, cut up

Place ingredients in Crock Pot in order given. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 - 6 hours.

Note: since this is an old crock pot recipe you might have to adjust the time downward if you have one of the new pots like I have. They just cook hotter and faster. Hope this helps.
    False
    A couple of years ago my BIL taught me to saute them in a pesto sauce of your choice. They're wonderful!

Lori
    False
    Lori Life's too short - have the whipped cream!
    I'm pretty plain when it comes to fresh green beans! I love just butter & McCormick's seasoning salt!
    Mmmmm!
    :)
    Ellen
    False
    FRESH GREEN BEANS:

Source: LaDonna
    Effort: easy
    Comments: My favorite thing to have in the late spring is a big pot of green beans and have some homemade bread to go with it.
    I can’t really give amounts. Just use however much your family will eat. I always make a dutch oven full. The more this is reheated, the better.

INGREDIENTS:
    Fresh green beans that has been snapped and cleaned.
    Several slices of bacon that have been cut up or
    Diced up ham chunks.
    1 onion diced up
    several little red potato’s
    2 t. minced garlic

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Put all of this in a dutch oven. Cover well with water. Use your favorite seasonings. I use salt, pepper, seasoning salt and chicken seasoning plus.
    Let simmer all afternoon. Watch your water as it will cook down and you will need to add more.
    Serve in soup bowls with some homemade bread.

“Men are born with two eyes, but only one tongue, in order that they should see twice as much as they say”
    False
    A very easy method I use is to steam the green beans, and then add chopped fresh tomatoes, cooked bacon (crumbled) and a very generous serving of Mrs Dash garic & herb seasoning. It's delicious!!!
    False
    I like them steamed, too but dh and the kids don't.
    False
    I drop my cleaned and trimmed green beans into rapidly boiling, very salty water. I cook until tender-crisp, then plunge into ice water.
    This keeps the green beans tender and bright green.
    To heat for serving, I melt butter in a saute pan, and add the green beans with a few tablespoons of water.
    They come out perfect every time.
    Sometimes I add toasted almonds, but prefer them plain as I usually have a sauce or gravy with the meat or fish and don't need any extra calories.
    False
    I just cut them up and pop em into my pressure cooker for 3 minutes and yummmmy...lots of butter on them..
    False
    I like to microwave bacon until it's half cooked, then make bundles of 6-8 green beans by spiraling the bacon around them. I lay the bundles with the bacon loose ends down in a 9x13 baking panand put 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in with them. I put several pats of butter on the beans and chicken and season the chicken with Morton's Nature's Seasoning. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. remove the foil, turn the chicken breasts over and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear when poked with a fork and the bacon has browned a little.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”