OK...Let me Try This...What Brand of Ham Do You REALLY Like and Buy? Please!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OK...Let me Try This...What Brand of Ham Do You REALLY Like and Buy? Please!!

Last post Sep 16, 2005 9:12 AM by dutchmom4MI . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • OK...Let me Try This...What Brand of Ham Do You REALLY Like and Buy? Please!!
    I ask in another post about a Fischer's ham, and it hasn't had much response...so maybe I just need to ask what brand or type of ham you all DO buy...not a great big ham....and one that you may consider less salty than others?

Please, your opinion is important to me. Help me shop, lol..I can't do it myself. I probably haven't been able to go to a store in about a year, and I miss doing my own picking and choosing, but I'll take all the help I can get. I tried to do a search on 'ham' thinking I could find one about brands, etc...but there are over 17,000 posts with 'ham' in it, lol.

Thanks,
    mountain mama
    False
  • RE: OK...Let me Try This...What Brand of Ham Do You REALLY Like and Buy? Please!!
    I really like Hillshire's ham for a ham dinner,but I always buy a cheapo like Cook's for boiled dinner. Rose
    False
  • RE: OK...Let me Try This...What Brand of Ham Do You REALLY Like and Buy? Please!!
    Mountain mama,

I like the brand Cumberland Gap. It is not very salty and it is always very lean and flavorful. I get the semi-boneless, but it does come in boneless too. I live in the midwest, so I don't know if that brand is available where you are.

Kylie
    False
    I like "Cooks" Bone In Ham. It is usually what I buy in IL. Kretchmar hams are good too. Always prefer bone in hams though. Never buy boneless, just not the same for me.
    False
    OOPS...forgot to mention in this post that all I want is a rather small fully cooked ham to make some ham salad. Sorry!!

mountain mama
    False
    My Publix has one called Hamiltons that I usually get- I never buy any other kind that they have- can't see paying the price they have on them- these usually run $1.79 or so when they are on sale. I have had the Boars Head Sweet Slice ham- thats what I always get at the deli section and I know they have a half ham that they sell around the holidays. Sorry probably didn't help you out much.

Robin
    False
    I have bought Dinner Bell, Sugardale & store brands. I think the Dinner Bell and Sugardale are pretty good. I have never heard of the other brand that is why I did not respond to that question. Hope it helps a little bit.

I know how bad it is to send DH to do the shopping so I feel for you. When I send DH I either have to know the exact size & brand or it's a toss up what we get. I have already had to make other dinner plans from stuff he's brought home. Oh well, at least he is trying.

Sue
    False
    I just noticed you only want a small amount. Does your store sell ham by the slice. I think it is Dinner Bell that does around here. Plus I know the Giant Eagle does too. Hope that helps a little bit.

Sue
    False
    I prefer Cook's Hams. Maybe you could just ask the butcher to cut you a thick ham steak. Or if they have them already cut, pick out one that is about the quantity that you need and grind that up. There are so many different brands of ham in different parts of the country. Hope this helps you. BTW... you are making me hungry for ham salad. Think I'll make some. I have a ham steak in the freezer now.
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    I like Costco's (Kirklands) hams & ham steaks . . . the ham steaks are usually pretty lean (the ones in the store usually have a large amt of visable fat!).
    False
    I like Costco's (Kirklands) hams & ham steaks . . . the ham steaks are usually pretty lean (the ones in the store usually have a large amt of visable fat!).
    False
    When I cater a meal, I get Farmland's boneless pit ham. It's wonderful and we've never had a bad one. Much easier to carve than a bone-in, but it looks and tastes just like a good bone-in ham.
    False
    I like Cook's hams as they are lower in sodium.....
    False
    I always buy COOK'S brand here in NJ
    False
    I love the Dinner Bell are Hormel Ham's

I have a really good recipe to do your ham in the crockpot if you would like it.

Cubbybear
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy