Gluten-free desserts? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gluten-free desserts?

Last post Jan 30, 2007 8:45 AM by Hill03 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Gluten-free desserts?
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a gluten-free (easy!) dessert? I am giving a dinner party next week for twelve. One guest is on a gluten-free diet, so I'm taking it as a challenge to make the meal gluten-free. Thanks.
    False
  • RE: Gluten-free desserts?
    I did a search for gluten free and found these two.
    Chefly

Rocky Road Fudge
    Ingredients
    (20 servings - 250 calories per serving)

1 pkg (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chunky peanut butter
    1 cup dry roasted peanuts or mixed nuts
    4 cups miniature marshmallows

Spray 9x9 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. In heavy saucepan, combine chocolate chips and peanut butter. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts completely. Blend in nuts. Mix in marshmallows. Heat just until marshmallows begin to swell and melt. Do not melt marshmallows completely. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Smooth top of mixture. Place into refrigerator for 1-3 hours or until firm. Cut into 20 squares or triangles.

CRISPY FUDGE
    50 ml 1/4 cup butter or margarine
    50 ml 1/4 cup corn syrup
    250 ml 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    5 ml 1 tsp vanilla extract
    125 ml 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
    500 ml 2 cups RICE KRISPIES* cereal

1. In saucepan, combine butter, corn syrup and chocolate chips. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth++. Remove from heat.

2. Stir in vanilla and icing sugar, mixing until smooth. Add cereal, mixing well.

3. Spread in lightly-buttered 2 L (8") square pan. Chill until set
    False
    Here are a few more.

Posted by: KAnne Posted on: 6/8/2005 4:22:49 PM

Gluten-free Layer Bars

7 ounces flaked coconut
    1 cup butterscotch chips
    6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    8 ounces unsalted peanuts
    1/2 cup sliced almonds
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ). Generously grease one 13x9 inch baking pan.
    2. Spread 2/3 of the flaked coconut evenly on the bottom of the baking pan. Sprinkle the butterscotch morsel, chocolate chips, and peanuts evenly over the coconut layer. Pour condensed milk evenly over the whole pan. Top with sliced almonds and remaining coconut . Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Posted by: KAnne
    Apple Butterscotch Tapioca
    1/2 cup (125 mL ) firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup (75 mL ) Club House Minute Tapioca
    1/4 tsp (1 mL ) Club House Ground Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp (1 mL ) salt
    3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
    2 tbsp (30 mL ) butter or margarine
    1 tbsp (15 mL ) lemon juice
    2¼ cups (550 mL ) warm water

In saucepan, combine brown sugar, Club House Minute Tapioca, Ground Cinnamon and salt.
    Add apples, butter, lemon juice and water. Bring to a boil; simmer for 8-10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently, until apples are tender and pudding is thickened. Serve warm or cover and chill.

Microwave Directions:
    Combine ingredients in 2-quart (2 L) microwave-safe bowl. Cover. Cook on HIGH power for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Note: Tapioca will continue to set as it cools. The longer tapioca is cooked, the thicker it becomes.

Simply Lemon
    Submitted by: Sue
    "An easy, crust-free cheesecake that is topped by store-bought lemon curd. Lemon curd can be found in the 'jams and jellies' aisle of the grocery store.

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup white sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon lemon extract
    1 cup sour cream
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    1 (10 ounce) jar lemon curd

False
    Cheesecake cont'd

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch pie pan.
    In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the lemon and vanilla extracts.
    Pour mixture into the prepared pie pan, and bake for 35 minutes. Cool cheesecake for 5 minutes. Leave the oven on.
    To make the topping: Combine the sour cream and sugar, mixing until smooth. Spread topping evenly over the cheesecake. Return cheesecake to oven for 10 minutes. Cool completely, then top with the lemon curd. Refrigerate before serving.
    False
    brownie17 -- my husband is celiac and must follow a gluten free diet. If he gets even a crumb of flour or bread, he gets violently sick. Please be careful when you prepare food for your gluten free guest. You probably ought to talk to him or her in advance to see what specific advice they can give you.

Some general advice -- open a new stick of butter, carton of cream cheese, bag of sugar, etc. If someone in your house has spread butter on bread, dipped a measuring cup into flour, then into the sugar cannister, etc., the gluten free butter or sugar will be contaminated and no longer safe for someone on a gluten free diet. Be sure that all of your baking dishes are absolutely clean before using them for gluten free foods. This is particularly true for metal square pans (such as bread pans) that have "seams" where flour can collect. Be sure that your mixer is absolutely clean of flour, too, even up in that little area where the beaters fit in.
    False
    Now to your specific question ....

Some gluten free dessert ingredients:

Philadelphia cream cheese
    Jello pudding and gelatin
    Cool Whip
    Nestles and Hershey's chocolate chips (maybe other brands, too)
    Hershey's cocoa (be careful though if you might have used a floured measuring spoon in it.)
    Edy's ice cream (maybe some other brands, too)

My grocery store has a "Nature's Basket" that has MiDel gluten-free arrowroot cookies and gingersnaps. If you can find these easily, you can crush a bag and use them to make a substitute for a graham cracker crust. If not, I suggest that you make some sort of pudding or mousse dessert.

I cook gluten free every day, serve holiday dinners to extended family, have big picnics and parties, and all of them are 100% gluten free. Most people don't suspect that anything is different than what they usually eat. If you want any specific recipes, let me know and I will be happy to share some with you.
    False
    Thanks to all who responded to my request for gluten-free desserts. You gave me some great ideas. One question from a recipe -- what is "icing sugar"? Is it powdered sugar or something else?
    False
    bump for lindabehling
    False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
    Check out this thread: I made the pumpkin chip muffins with the rice flour. Hillsmom has made it with a flour combo.

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=587748&catnum=68&headnum=2

I am going to make some GF brownies today. I am adapting a recipe ...It is the first time and I will post the recipe and review later.:)

~Muril~
    False
    This is wonderful!

Chocolate Snowball

1 cup butter
    8 ounces chocolate, semi-sweet or unsweetened
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons instant coffee
    4 eggs
    ½ cup water
    2 tablespoons cognac or Kahlua or vanilla

1 cup whipping cream
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 tablespoon liquer or vanilla

Line an ovenproof bowl (6-cup size) with aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 350º.

Heat butter and chocolate until everything is melted. Add sugar and instant coffee; mix well.

Beat in the eggs, liquer (or vanilla) and water.

Pour into prepared bowl and bake 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool, pushing down slightly to make what will be the bottom when you unmold it relatively flat.

The dessery will be soft at this point -- don't worry, it will firm up when refrigerated. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

Unmold on serving plate and cover with the whipped cream that has been whipped with the sugar and liquer or vanilla.

It's very rich so small serving are in order.

False
    bump
    False