Need a Dessert, no refrigeration..... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need a Dessert, no refrigeration.....

Last post Sep 21, 2005 11:22 AM by OnTheGoMom . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Need a Dessert, no refrigeration.....
    Our church supper is Wednesday night, so I have to bring a dessert that needs no refrigeration and it has to be a 9 X 13 pan or larger.
    Any good recipes of such out there??
    Calling on your help again!
    DeeDeeBird
    False
  • RE: Need a Dessert, no refrigeration.....
    Coca Cola Chocolate Pan Cake
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups minature marshmallows
    1 cup butter (2 sticks)
    1 cup coca cola
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    FROSTING:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/3 cup coca cola
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 tsp vanilla
    16 oz confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a 2 quart saucepan melt 1 cup butter with marshmallows, cola, cocoa over medium heat until bubbles form and marshamllows are melted. Remove from heat.

Beat eggs and add buttermilk and 1 tsp of vanilla in a medium bowl.

Pour marshamllow mixture over the flour mixture and whisk well. Whisk in buttermilk mixture until blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Prepare frosting: In a 1 quart saucepan melt butter (1/2 cup). Add cocoa and cola. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and stir. Pour mixture over confectioners sugar and stir with whisk until well combined. Spread frosting over cake. Cool. Does not need to be refrigerated. Very, very good!
    False
    STRAWBERRY-FILLED TAKE ALONG CAKE W/BROWN SUGAR FROSTING

CAKE:
    1/2 cup butter
    1 package yellow cake mix
    1 1/4 cup water
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup strawberry jam

BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In 1 quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup butter over medium heat, moving butter around, just until butter is light brown. Cool 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom only of 13 x 9 pan with cooking spray.

In large bowl beat browned butter, cake mix, water & eggs with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds; then turn to medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into pan.

Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Spread jam evenly over top of cake. Freeze at least 15 minutes or until jam is set.

In a 2 quart saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stir constantly; reduce heat to low & boil & stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium heat; stir constantly. Cool to lukewarm; about 20 minutes.

Gradually stir in powdered sugar into brown sugar mixture. If frosting appears stiff, add additional milk, 1 tsp at a time. Spread frosting over jam. Store at room temperature, covered loosely.
    False
    This one is yummy. Made it for my sons birthday.

SMORE CAKE

1 Yellow cake mix
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1 3/4 cup water
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs
    1 jar 16 oz hot fudge ice cream topping
    1 jar 7 oz marshmallow creme

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom of 13 x 9 baking pan w/cooking spray.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, cracker crumbs, water, oil & eggs with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, then turn mixer to medium for 2 minutes. Pour into pan.

Reserve 1/4 cup hot fudge topping. Drop remaining hot fudge topping by tablespoonfuls randomly in 12 to 14 mounds onto batter in pan.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes clean. Loosen cake from pan edges. COol 15 minutes.

Spoon teaspoonfuls of marshmallow creme onto warm cake; carefully spread w/knife dipped in hot water. Drop small dollops of reserved hot fudge topping randomly over marshmallow. Swirl together with knife for marbled effect design. Cool 2 hours. Store uncovered at room temperature.

Once cut, store cake with plastic wrap pressed against cut sides.
    False

This recipe was submitted by Alma Lynne Gravel of Trappe, Pennsylvania to the June July 1998 issue of Taste Of Home. I made it the first time last Thanksgiving, and it is the one my family requests now.

Potluck Apple Pie

2 1/2 cups flour, divided
    1/4 cup water
    Pinch salt
    1 cup shortening

Filling:
    1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
    3 pounds tart apples (8-9 medium), peeled and sliced thinly
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Topping:
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
    1 cup chopped pecans

In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine salt and remaining flour; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add reserved flour mixture; knead gently until dough forms a ball. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Spread 1/4 cup syrup over crust. Arrange apples over syrup. Combine sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and remaining syrup; drizzle over apples. For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until apples are tender. Yield: 18 to 24 servings. Editors note: Pastry can be easily pressed into pan by placing a large sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough.

I found that I needed to use a deeper baking dish to keep the apple juice from running over in the oven. I have a large glass baking dish similar in size to the measurements above that I used after the first time when I had an oven to clean. It was worth it though. This pie is great! I made it for Thanksgiving last year and everyone really liked it. For a single pie, I have cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 10 inch pie plate.

False
    False

This is Honeycat's fantastic recipe~!

APPLE PIE SQUARES

CRUST

4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup shortening (Crisco)
    4 egg yolks
    2 Tbls. lemon juice
    ½ cup water

FILLING

7 cups finely chopped apples
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 cups granulated sugar
    4 Tbls. all-purpose flour

ICING/GLAZE

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 Tbls. milk
    1 Tbls. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375. Chop apples in food processor or by hand. Add remaining filling ingredients and set aside.

For crust, mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Cut in shortening as for piecrust. Add slightly beaten egg yolks, lemon juice and water to form dough. Handle just enough to incorporate all ingredients well. Divide dough in half. Roll one half to fit a 10x15" jellyroll pan, making sure dough goes up the sides to the top edge of pan to hold filling. Trim excess dough. Spread with apple filling. Roll out second half of dough to fit over top. Trim excess dough. Prick top crust at intervals to vent steam.

Bake for 50-60 min. until nicely browned. Cool on rack and ice while still slightly warm - icing will shine.

NOTE: It is correct that the lemon juice is in the crust and icing but not in the filling. Check out picture on the back cover of the current TOH issue.

Can add a dash of nutmeg to filling if you wish…..Janet
    False
    Thanks to all!! I'll have to decide tonight on which one to make!! All sound great to me!!
    Have a nice evening - DeeDeeBird
    False
    I made this dessert to take to DS and DDIL's for Supper and it was a hit. When I took the cake from the oven, I added white chocolate with semi-sweet swirl chips on top. I dusted with powdered sugar after it cooled a little. I baked it in a 13x9 inch pan.

Have a great one and Enjoy,
    ~Muril~

Posted By Germanlady:
    This is from the AMISH COOKING DELUXE COOKBOOK

COCOA CRUMB CAKE

2 cups of all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 cups brown sugar ( I used 2 cups)
    1/2 cup butter
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup buttermilk
    2 large tablespoons cocoa (optional)
    1 teaspoon soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together the flour, sugar and butter as for a pie crust, reserving 3/4 cup for the topping.
    To the remainder of the crumbs add the egg, buttermilk, cocoa, soda and vanilla. Pour the batter into a cake or pie pan and sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top. Bake it at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes.
    Note from Germanlady: I've not made this myself but aim to soon. I have more buttermilk to use before it spoils. I am out of flour to make this or it would be baked already. Enjoy

Wishing you all a safe and good week, Germanlady
    False

~Muril~
    CHOCOLATE CHIP CINNAMON CAKE

1 yellow cake mix (plain, no pudding in the mix)
    1 cup milk
    4 eggs
    1 teas. vanilla
    1 small box instant vanilla pudding
    1 teas. salt
    ½ cup vegetable oil

Filling/Topping:
    ½ cup sugar
    1 small bag chocolate chips
    1 teas. cinnamon
    ½ cup chopped nuts

Beat cake mix, milk, eggs, vanilla, pudding, salt & oil for 4-5 minutes. Put ½ batter in greased 9 x 13 cake pan. Sprinkle with ½ the filling/topping mix. Top with remaining batter; top with remaining filling/topping. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.
    False
    bumping for DeeDee ...What did you end up bringing with you? Just curious if you used a BB recipe or found another on your own?
    False