Does buttermilk go bad? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does buttermilk go bad?

Last post Sep 29, 2005 3:03 PM by Pattysgran . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Does buttermilk go bad?
    And how would you tell? I personally hate the stuff but use it in baking. I know that it is like sour milk but how can you tell if it isn't up to par anymore?

Gail
    False
  • RE: Does buttermilk go bad?
    I just tend to go by the date on the container. I know it does go bad because I've dumped some down the drain that was "chunky". EWWWW
    False
    It eventually goes bad but I have used it a couple of months past the expiration date and it worked great. The way I tell if it is still good is to smell of it; also, when it gets too old to use it will get watery. I love to cook with buttermilk.
    False
    Do you know you can buy powdered buttermilk? You add the dry powder to the recipe, then add the correct amount of water. The brand is saco cultured (no caps) Buttermilk Blend. I find it in the baking aisle at the grocery. I threw away too many partial quarts of buttermilk, some which had become very chunky. This is a great alternative if you use it only for cooking.
    False
    I too have used it way past the expiration date [in baking,that is] and it does tend to get watery if too old.Pat
    False