Can I line a cookie sheet w. wax paper? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I line a cookie sheet w. wax paper?

Last post Oct 04, 2005 7:21 PM by blueridge_va . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Can I line a cookie sheet w. wax paper?
    I don't have any parchment paper and wondered if wax paper would work? I
    think I've see recipes where you cut out a circle of wax paper to line a cake pan, so that's what gave me the idea. The cookies bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
    False
  • RE: Can I line a cookie sheet w. wax paper?
    Wax paper, on the other hand, cannot be substituted for parchment paper in cooking/baking unless all of the dough or batter covers all surfaces of the wax paper [for example, to line the bottom of a spring form cake pan]. If exposed to direct heat, the wax will melt off from the paper. Wax + food = ugh!

Wax paper (also called waxed paper) is a kind of paper that is made moisture proof through the application of wax. The paper was invented in 1872 by Thomas Edison when he was 25 years old. It is commonly used in cooking (for non-stick properties) and wrapping food for storage (keeps water out or in). - Wikipedia
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

My mom always used waxed paper to bake cookies and so I did too.It puts melted wax on the bottoms of cookies, on your baking sheets and causes them to burn quickly too.
    If you have it, use foil.Parchment is very inexpensive in the grocery store, about $3.00, and works as well as the really expensive roll I bought from KAF for about $9.00 a roll.
    Waxed paper also smokes up the kitchen.
    False
    False
    I thought I answered this, but don't see it here. Could you use foil with the shiny side down? I never used anything on my cookie sheets, but it would keep them cleaner I guess.
    False
    I use foil whichever side comes up first.Never thought it made a difference.Does it?
    After all these years I've been doing it wrong?
    I don't burn cookies, but then I set the timer and never leave the kitchen.
    I will have to experiment.
    False
    Hey blueridge VA -- just happened on this post again. I don't know if it is true or not, but have been told that the shiny side atracts the heat more and things are apt to stick. So that's why i always put the shiny side down or away from the food.

Anyone else ever heard this?

Bosox Bump
    False
    I don't have the answer to this but I did watch a documentary once on the Reynold's people and (as you probably know) they produced the tin foil to wrap and protect their primary industry - I know I'm useless but it's either tobacco or explosives - so a brother founded the wrap company.
    The useful bit to know in this is that it said that the difference in surface - shiny and the duller side in just how it is rolled in production it was not intentional. I do remember a science master at school talking about the varying reflective properties pertaining to kitchen foil but can't envision that he ever actually baked anything anyway!
    False
    Bump
    False
    So the answer is????

I do seem to remember from back in the 50s, the sun worshippers made the panels to direct the sun to their face.Never saw any myself, only in movies, like Doris Day types.(Fluff heads)Before people were aware of how much damage is done to your eyes from sunrays, I'm sure.Sunglasses sure weren't any type of protection.Maybe that's where that started about shiny vs. matte.
    Perhaps one of those people who wrapped up wire hangers to use as a TV antennea would know.That I HAVE seen.My 20s something SIL!lol.I'm just being silly...
    False