? Why do Pickle's have to be refrigerated after opening? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? Why do Pickle's have to be refrigerated after opening?

Last post May 11, 2013 8:13 PM by omamcm . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • ? Why do Pickle's have to be refrigerated after opening?
    I bought a gallon jar of big pickles at Sam's club cause my girls love them and so do I. The little jars did not seem like a problem to keep in the fridge but this big one is heavy. Why do pickle's have to be refrigerated anyway? I do not keep my vinegar in the fridge and pickle's are in vinegar. I am probably going to regret this stupid question but I really do not know about the pickle fridge thing. Could really use the room for other things like Cake! LOL.

Thanks as always, Brad
    False
  • RE: ? Why do Pickle's have to be refrigerated after opening?
    Good question, I've wondered that myself. It might be that the pickles stay crisper/crunchier when cold, instead of it being a "preservative" type of issue.

Does the jar label have a customer service #? Just a thought.
    False
    I don't know either but we have an extra fridge out in the shop for the really large jars so for us it's no problem. We buy the gallon size dills at Costco and I put them in a tupperware pickle holder for the fridge inside. Hope somebody can answer this for us.
    Elizabeth
    False
    I just e-mailed Vlasic for the answer and will post whatever I get.

Brad
    False
    Pickles need to be refrigerated after opening to keep them crisp and the cold enhances their flavor. If you don't refrigerate them they will turn dark and get soft. It's good to even refrigerate unopened jars of pickles to enhance their flavor.
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    Mine grew mold. Don't know why, but they did.
    False
    TXcookie...in the fridge or out? Ours sits in the fridge for months as DH is the only one to eat them and never have had them turn moldy. Good thing as I am allergic to mold!
    Elizabeth
    False
    My MIL made the best icicle pickles. She always kept them in the crock she made them in and stored it in the basement. Of course the basement would be cooler then if they were in the kitchen. Carol
    False

Carol

All of the fast food places and delis keep their sliced pickles out in containers all day long without refrigerating them.... if there was a problem you would think the health dept would have issues with it. Don't know either, just a thought.
    Sue
    False
    Sue
    When they are stored at room temperature they will grow mold. I doubt that it is dangerous, but I wouldn't trust it until I knew for sure.

I know that the cabbage and salt in crocks in the basement grew a mold as the saurkraut was developing. We just skimmed it off regularly. When it was ready, we canned it. Then we kept the sealed jars in the basements and an opened jar in the refrigerator.
    False

False
    Mold is NOT inedible. (Think Bleu cheese). Vinegar is a very strong preservative, but is not infallible, therefore--refigerate. Refrigeration increases product 'life span' and taste. For Pickles--keeps them crisper, and longer. Catsup/Ketchup can be kept on the pantry shelf if you want--but it tastes better/longer if you keep it in the fridge. The same is true of dry grated Parmesean Cheese--keep it in the fridge and it will stay fresher tasting longer. This is not "Rocket Science", refrigeration simply prolongs the life of any food product whether it's dried, cured, pickled, or fresh. Refrigeration also preserves the taste value of the food (shelved food tends to loose it's taste value). JMHO! +14 years of F&N Ed.
    False
    This is what I got back on the Pickle question. Sounds like they do not know why either.

Dear Mr:We're glad to hear from you and appreciate your interest in Pinnacle
    Foods.For your benefit a "Recommend Use By Date" is printed on our products. We
    recommend using the product by this date to ensure optimal color, flavor,
    aroma and texture. Even though our products are manufactured to maintain
    quality and flavor for a reasonable period of time, products subjected to
    adverse storage conditions can deteriorate.

Guidelines for food storage indicate that food in cans, jar bottles or
    boxes containing non-refrigerated items should be stored in a cool, dry
    place where temperatures rarely exceed 70 degrees F. Refrigerated
    products should be kept in your refrigerator at approximately 40 degrees
    F. Frozen food, of course, should be kept frozen.Our Vlasic® Pickles should be refrigerated after opening and may be stored
    up to 3-4 weeks after opening, for the best freshness. Our Swanson Frozen
    dinners should be prepared immediately upon removal from the freezer.Thank you for taking the time to email us. Contact us again if we can be
    of assistance in the future.

Sincerely,Teresa Madden
    Consumer Services Representative000555259A**END**
    False
    Out of the frig. They have never had mold when I kept them in frig.
    False
  • Re: ? Why do Pickle's have to be refrigerated after opening?

dado5
    I bought a gallon jar of big pickles at Sam's club cause my girls love them and so do I. The little jars did not seem like a problem to keep in the fridge but this big one is heavy. Why do pickle's have to be refrigerated anyway? I do not keep my vinegar in the fridge and pickle's are in vinegar. I am probably going to regret this stupid question but I really do not know about the pickle fridge thing. Could really use the room for other things like Cake! LOL.

Thanks as always, Brad

False