Soups in a Jar | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Soups in a Jar

Last post Dec 08, 2012 6:49 PM by dutchmom4MI . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Soups in a Jar
    when I first found this web site my request was for recipes in a jar, and thanks to all of you I have purchased more "ink and paper" I was given so many different seach items for the BB Search and when I have a few moments I am searching again for more jar recipes, I was wanting to give as gifts where I work, If anyone has a special soup/stew recipe I would appreciate it. Also, I have had the cookie recipes from a jar and they have been great, but curious as to how tasty soup in a jar would be.
    again thanks
    chicagogirl (Mary)
    False
  • RE: Soups in a Jar
    COUNTRY SOUP IN A JAR - found this on allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup dried split peas
    1/2 cup uncooked white rice
    1/2 cup dry lentils
    2 tablespoons dried minced onion
    2 tablespoons dried parsley
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
    2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
    1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
    1 cup uncooked twist macaroni

DIRECTIONS:
    In a wide mouth 1 quart jar, layer the barley, peas, rice and lentils. Then layer around the edges the onion, parsley, salt, lemon pepper, bouillon and the alphabet pasta. Fill the rest of the jar with the twist macaroni.
    Seal and attach a gift card. The gift card should read: Add contents of jar to 3 quarts of water, 2 stalks of chopped celery, 2 sliced carrots, 1 cup of shredded cabbage (optional) and 2 cups diced tomatoes. Over medium low heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
    False
    Beef Chili Soup Mix in a Jar
    8 servings

Layer following ingredients in a 1-pint jar:

1/2 cup dried red kidney beans
    1/2 cup dried navy beans
    1/2 cup dried black beans
    1/3 cup dried minced onions
    2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons dried cilantro or parsley flakes
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic

Close jar securely; decorate top with cloth and ribbon.

Attach a gift tag with these instructions:

In a Dutch oven, brown 2 pounds ground beef; drain. Add ingredients from the jar, plus 6 cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender.

Add 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. You may substitute 2 pounds of boneless beef chuck. Brown half of the meat in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; remove meat and brown other half of meat. Drain off the oil and proceed with above directions.

False
    Love Soup Mix in a Jar
    18 cubes beef bouillon
    1/4 cup dried minced onion
    1/2 cup dried split peas
    1/2 cup uncooked twist macaroni
    1/4 cup barley
    1/2 cup dry lentils
    1/3 cup long-grain white rice
    1 cup uncooked tri-color spiral pasta

Use a canning funnel or any funnel that has about a 2-inch neck. This will make it easier to fill the jars with the ingredients. Be sure to use a wide-mouth, 1-quart canning jar.

Layer ingredients in the order given: bouillon, onion flakes, split peas, small shape pasta, barley, lentils, rice, and enough tricolor spiral pasta to fill jar.

Attach a tag with cooking instructions:

Love Soup

In large kettle, brown 1 pound ground beef or stew beef cut into bite-size pieces in a little olive oil. Remove tricolor pasta from top of jar and reserve. Add the rest of the jar contents to the kettle with 12 cups water. Let come to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.

Add tricolor pasta and simmer 15 minutes more.

Serve with your favorite bread or rolls and a tossed salad.

Makes 12 servings
    False
    French Market Soup Mix in a Jar
    1 pound dried navy beans
    1 pound dried pinto beans
    1 pound dried Great Northern beans
    1 pound split peas
    1 pound yellow split peas
    1 pound dried black-eyed peas
    1 pound lentils
    1 pound dried baby lima beans
    1 pound dried lima beans
    1 pound dried soybeans
    1 pound pearl barley
    1 pound dried red beans

In a very large container, combine navy beans, pinto beans, great Northern beans, split peas, yellow split peas, black-eyed peas, lentils, baby limas, limas, soybeans, barley and red beans; mix well.

Divide evenly into 14 lidded jars.

Attach a card to each jar with the following recipe:

French Market Soup

2 quarts water
    1 ham hock
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced

Soak 2 cups French Market Bean Mix in water to cover, 8 hours or overnight.

In a large soup pot, bring 2 quarts water and ham hock to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Remove ham hock. Stir in soaked beans, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes and green chiles, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil again, skimming foam off the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour, until beans are tender.

False
    I have a recipe collection of Gifts in a Jar that I'll send you if you post your email addy...the recipes are for all different categories...

~~susie.
    False

Lentil Soup Mix in a Jar
    Posted by: arelabs Replies: 1 Posted on: 10/23/2004 1:22:48 PM
    #T428816
    There's no salt in this mix, so that can be a good thing for some. I always save (in the freezer) the water I drain off from making mashed potatoes and use it in this, and I do like College Inn broth, but you can adapt to whatever you like.

2 1/2 c green split peas
    2 1/2 c lentils
    2 1/2 c pearl barley
    2 c alphabet macaroni or rice
    1 c dried onion flakes
    1/2 c celery flakes
    1/2 c parsley flakes
    1 1/2 t thyme (optional)
    1 1/2 t white pepper (optional)

Mix all ingredients together; store in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Stir before using. Makes 10 c of mix. Divide mix into gift jars. (Use 3 wide mouth quart size)

Instructions for Soup:

Combine 1 c of soup mix with 4 c of water, or seasoned stock, in large pan. Add 1 c of cooked chopped meat, if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer gently for 45-60 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t (or to taste) salt, if desired.

Minestrone Variation:

Combine 1 c of soup mix with a 16-oz can of stewed tomatoes, 2-3 c water or stock, 1 chopped carrot, 1-2 chopped potatoes, and 1/2 t basil. (Optional: 1 clove minced garlic). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer 45-60 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add 1/2 t or to taste) salt, if desired.

Arlene

False

The website for these are:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/foodgiftsoup/giftsoup.html

Holiday Split Pea Soup Mix in a Jar
    Posted by Tiffany at recipegoldmine.com 12/8/2001 11:50 pm

Source: Tucson Citizen

Great last minute gift idea!!

1 (2.75 ounce) package country gravy mix (regular or no-fat)
    1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
    2 teaspoons imitation bacon bits
    2 teaspoons celery flakes
    2 teaspoons dried minced onion
    1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
    1 1/4 cups dried split green peas
    1 bay leaf

Pour gravy mix into wide-mouth pint jar.

In small bowl stir together bouillon granules, bacon bits, celery flakes, onion and parsley flakes. Pour into jar to make second layer. Add peas; place bay leaf on top. Seal with lid. Attach gift tag (below) and decorate jar as desired.

Attach the following instructions to a gift tag:

Holiday Split Pea Soup

Empty contents of jar into large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water; heat to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender, stirring frequently to prevent peas from sticking. Remove bay leaf. Serve soup with dollop of sour cream and bacon bits, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.
    False
    vky and Cooking4Max
    thanks for the recipes I will give them a try, sounds good, thanks and if you have other recipes please send my way. I enjoyo cooking and sometimes forget about what to cook, sometimes i get in a rut.
    thanks again
    chicagogirl * Mary
    False

RE: Gifts in a Jar...Pictures. :)
    Posted by: HDMac Posted on: 12/16/2003 11:13:40 AM
    #R2671113
    Holiday Bean Soup Mix

1 pound dried black beans
    1 pound dried red beans
    1 pound dried kidney beans
    1 pound dried navy beans
    1 pound dried great northern beans
    1 pound dried baby lima beans
    1 pound dried large lima beans
    1 pound dried pinto beans
    1 pound dried green split peas
    1 pound dried yellow split peas
    1 pound dried black-eyed peas
    1 pound dried green lentils
    1 pound dried brown lentils

Combine all of the beans in a very large bowl. Pour two cups of the bean mixture into pretty ( 16-oz.) jars- these jars should hold two cups of bean mix. Give with the following recipe for holiday bean soup. You could also layer the beans in the jar for prettier effect. Just put a little of each of the beans in until you fill it to the top. Print out a tag and attach it to the jar with the preparation instructions for the recipe.

False

~~ continued ~~

Holiday Bean Soup

Preparation Directions:

beans from jar
    1 smoked ham hock
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) stewed tomatoes
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 bay leaf
    6 cups water
    1/4 cup fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin seed

Cover the beans with water and soak overnight. Drain beans and place in a stockpot. Add ham, tomatoes, onion, garlic, bay leaf and 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover & simmer 1 hour or until beans are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve warm. Makes 11 cups of soup.
    False

suzycreamcheese
    please send to
    saucywench74@yahoo.com
    thanks mary
    False

Check this out!

Gifts in a Jar...Pictures. :)
    http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&replynum=1&threadnum=273548&catnum=&headnum=

False

On its way, Mary~
    False

suzycreamcheese
    thanks i will be looking for the e-mail, and you have a great sign on name.
    Where are you from. I recently moved to the chicago area but grew up in a small rural area.
    thanks for your help
    mary
    False