Ann Page's Spanish Bar Cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ann Page's Spanish Bar Cake

Last post Sep 02, 2014 5:10 PM by delowenstein . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Ann Page's Spanish Bar Cake
    I am looking for the receipt for Ann Page's Spanish Bar Cake. I think it is a spice cake with raisins, and icing. When I make a spice cake with the raisins it is not as moist.
    False
  • RE: Ann Page's Spanish Bar Cake
    Subject: Recipe: A & P Spanish Bar Cake (remember this)
    kathyf1

Spanish Bar Cake

4 cups water
    2 cups raisins
    1 cup vegetable shortening
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs, beaten
    Buttercream Frosting (optional)
    Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 13- by 9-inch baking pans. Set aside.

Combine the water and raisins in a saucepan, heat to boiling and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shortening, then allow the mixture to cool.

Meanwhile, into a bowl, sift the sugar, soda, flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Add the cooled raisin mixture, then blend well. Add the eggs and stir well.

Turn into the prepared pans and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. If desired, ice with Buttercream Frosting.

Buttercream Frosting

1 pound confectioners' sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla
    3 tablespoons milk, more if needed
    In a large bowl, beat together the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk until smooth. If necessary, add more milk until the frosting is of spreading consistency. will frost a 2-layer cake, 13 x 9 cake or 2 doz cupcakes.
    False

Karolin
    Subject: Recipe: A & P Spanish Bar Cake (remember this)
    kathyf1

Spanish Bar Cake

4 cups water
    2 cups raisins
    1 cup vegetable shortening
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs, beaten
    Buttercream Frosting (optional)
    Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 13- by 9-inch baking pans. Set aside.

Combine the water and raisins in a saucepan, heat to boiling and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shortening, then allow the mixture to cool.

Meanwhile, into a bowl, sift the sugar, soda, flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Add the cooled raisin mixture, then blend well. Add the eggs and stir well.

Turn into the prepared pans and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. If desired, ice with Buttercream Frosting.

Buttercream Frosting

1 pound confectioners' sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla
    3 tablespoons milk, more if needed
    In a large bowl, beat together the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and 3 tablespoons milk until smooth. If necessary, add more milk until the frosting is of spreading consistency. will frost a 2-layer cake, 13 x 9 cake or 2 doz cupcakes.

False

Dawn E. Lowenstein

Here's a picture in an old newspaper from 1960 of an A&P Jane Parker Spanish Bar Cake:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=J8ggAAAAIBAJ&sjid=O2oFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4899%2C4441884

From 1960 newspaper Ad:

"Jane Parker

Spanish Bar
    Cake REG 39¢ 29¢

Delightfully spicy and grand tasting cake
    with plenty of plump, juicy raisins...filled
    and topped with creamy-smooth vanilla icing.
    Wonderfully good..priced for thrift!

Jane Parker 8-inch size"

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

Everyone seems to make the same mistake concerning the Spanish Bar cake. It was not a SPICE cake, it was a MOLASSES cake with spices. Here is an accurate recipe:

A&P Spanish Bar
    Ingredients:
    • ½ cup shortening
    • ½ cup brown sugar
    • 1 egg
    • ¾ cup molasses
    • 1 cup boiling water
    • 2¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 1 Tbs cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1 tsp ginger
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves, optional
    • ½ cup cut-up raisins
    Instructions:
    Preheat the oven to 325oF.
    Cream the shortening, sugar and egg, blend in molasses and add the boiling water. Sift together the remaining ingredients except the raisins and stir it into the egg mixture. Fold in the raisins.
    Divide the batter equally between two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in a 325oF oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean.
    Cool the cakes in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut each cake in half horizontally and frost the top and center only with vanilla butter cream frosting.

False

This is the recipe I use. It is from the Italian Community Center cookbook in Milwaukee, WI.

SPANISH BAR CAKE (A & P)

3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup oleo
    1 cup dark raisins
    1 cup water
    1/4 tspn. salt
    1 tspn. cinnamon
    1/2 tspn. cloves
    1/4 tspn. nutmeg
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 cups flour
    1 tspn. baking soda
    1/2 tspn. baking powder

Combine sugar, oleo, dark raisins, water, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and molasses in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Cool thoroughly and add sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and baking powder). Mix well with a wooden spoon. Spread in a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Spread batter evenly. Bake in a preheated 350º oven for 20-25 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Cut in bars or make a loaf with frosting in between.

FROSTING:
    1 3oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
    1 Tbspn. oleo, soft
    1 tspn. vanilla
    1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
    1-2 Tbspn. warm milk

Mix ingredients all together. May use more or less milk, depending upon the consistency of the frosting.

Sometimes I just use a can of fluffy frosting.

My mom worked in the A & P bakery in Milwaukee, WI. She was an icer for the Spanish Bar Cake. This was many, many years ago as I am 80 years old. It was and is one of our favorite cakes.

Nancy Z.

False

I realize this is an older post but I learned a lot researching A&P and Ann Page as they were just never been in our area. I did find this which is similar to other recipes here.

James Welker from Lykens, Pa., sent in the recipe for the cake Harrell was in search of. He said he worked at an A&P store when he was high school in the late 1950s and remembers the cake very well. He said he thinks the cake sold at that time for 39 cents. He still makes the cake several times a year and enjoys it.

Spanish Bar Cake with Nutmeg Icing

Makes: 16 to 20 servings

For cake:

4 cups water

2 cups raisins

1 cup shortening

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups white sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

1 cup chopped walnuts

For icing:

4 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)

4 tablespoons butter, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 tablespoons heavy cream

2 dashes ground nutmeg

For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 inch cake pan .

Cook raisins in the water for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir in shortening. Stir until shortening is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.

False

I recall this recipe from Ann Page! It was one of these old-timey recipes In fact, to me, there is a similar recipe from Taste of Home: "Spicy Applesauce Cake"! We used to buy this cake when the store was known as A & P!  Now, Super Fresh took over! Thank you for this recipe! delowenstein:-)P

False

Dawn E. Lowenstein