What do scallops taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do scallops taste like?

Last post Oct 31, 2005 9:23 AM by M_Wolverine . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What do scallops taste like?
    I've never eaten them. I have a recipe for pan seared spicey scallops and am thinking of trying them. What do you have to say about scallops?

Thank you!
    AbbysMom
    False
  • RE: What do scallops taste like?
    I'd love to here the reveiws! I've never tried a scallop either, LOL Bon
    False
    Hi AbbysMom -
    I LOVE scallops so I am going to try to answer this for you. They are very mild (not too fishy) with a sweet taste. I prefer the larger Sea scallops to the small Bay scallops as I think they have more flavor. If cooked properly they are moist and tender. I do not like fish but I do love scallops. I have had Spicy fried scallops in a restaurant before and they were good. They served them with a red tartar sauce it was spicy too so I don't know what they used and didn't think to ask. I like them baked or broiled with a small amount of butter and garlic and sprinkled with ritz cracker crumbs. I am envious of you. I wish I was having scallops tonight. :-)
    Enjoy!!!!
    False
    They have a very mild and somewhat sweet taste. If they are not over cooked the consistency could be compared to a mild white fleshed fish but smoother. The smaller fresh water scallops are not quite as tender but are still very tasty. Scallops will take on the flavors of your spices well.
    False
    They are delicious! A very mild seafood, similar in flavor to shrimp or lobster, with a much smoother texture.
    False
    Ditto to the descriptions already given. Mild, sweet and yummy. If overcooked they are like rubber, so if you are preparing them try to avoid overcooking.
    False
    Oh, just my favorite! Sea scallops are sooooooo good!!! I saute them for about 2-3 minutes per side, just until they get opaque, and golden brown. Please don't overcook them!
    Have butter in the pan, so they will brown nicely. I made them for Valentine's Day- a very special treat-then thought, "Why not have them on a Wednesday?!?!" LOL! Then our youngest son got in on the act & decided he loves them, too! Sam's has them for a pretty good price-much better than grocery stores here.
    I also make a heavenly sauce, which really makes them incredibly good!!!
    Try them~you'll love them!!!
    :)
    Ellen
    False
    They are one of my favorite seafoods.
    However, I have only eaten them breaded and fried or sauteed in butter and garlic.
    False
    I love scallops too. But then I like all shellfish.

Why not try a broiled seafood platter in a restaurant then you will know what they are like. If you don't like them (I can't imagine that) then you could have the rest & not give up whole dinner. I usually try to sample someone elses if I have never had it.

I only really like the large scallops. The bay scallops are a little larger than the eraser on a pencil. They get dried out.

My favorite way is just broiled in garlic flavored butter with a squeeze of lemon. But I also like them deep fried with tartar sauce. While in Massachusetts, I had a great appetizer in which the scallop was wrapped with a slice of bacon. Yummy.

They do have a delicate flavor & take well to spices. My sister really does not like scallops but she tried an appetizer with blackened cajun spice & she loved it. They are a little sweet tasting & have a more firm texture than say flounder or cod. They are not flaky like fish. Enjoy.

Diane
    False

Diane

Try to imagine "A Little Bit Of Heaven" on your tastebuds and you'll be close.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”